Please help me by sharing your thought

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Please help me by sharing your thought

by V16 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Hi,
I seeking opinion on my unique and strange situation. I have a bachelors degree in Comp Science (non us). After my undergrad i did an MBA in management from a state college in Massachusettes with GPA 3.94. Now I am determined to go to HBS. So my question is with this background and already having an MBA is going to be a big negative point? Do they consider me!. I heard from people saying that top ten schools do not consider people who already pursued MBA. I have a work experiance of 3 years as an Analyst.

Please share your opinion on this.
thanks a lot.
v.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:38 am
Dear V,

Thanks for your post!

This is a great question and a subject of much debate. In general, when it comes to applying to the top b-schools when you already have an MBA, there are a few rules that apply:

1) Most top programs will say that they have no issue reviewing a file from someone who has pursued the degree at an earlier phase of their career. Of course, they usually follow this statement with one that indicates that the applicant in question had better make a strong case for needing a second MBA.

2) Most programs make a distinction between the applicant who earned an MBA immediately following ugrad and has worked for several years post-MBA vs. applicants who have just completed (or are currently completing an MBA) and are seeking to start over or transfer. Top schools typically do not accept transfers.

3) The standard profile of someone who is able to get into a top b-school despite already possessing an MBA goes as follows:

-the applicant pursued their first MBA right after college (usually outside of the USA)
-the applicant makes a compelling case for their need (indicating that they didn't get as much out of MBA #1 due to their youth and lack of professional experience)
-the applicant is absolutely superb in all other areas (test scores, work exp, XCs, etc)

Your particular case is interesting since you actually earned your first MBA in the States. Believe it or not, this may make things a bit harder. Did you earn the degree right after ugrad? Hopefully this is the case.

On a related note, how old are you? Age can play a factor in the admissions process - especially with HBS. See this post for details:
https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/07/is-h ... ger-class/

Feel free to send your resume to [email protected] if you'd like to speak with one of our team members and learn more about this aspect of MBA admissions.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by V16 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:06 am
Hi Graham,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate your help.

I am turning 26 years. As you mentioned I pursued MBA in management(in USA) right after ugrad (there is a gap of one year). I passedout ugrad in 2004 and i graduated in dec-2006 . I have 24+ months of experience as a business analyst.
Now i am planning to switch my career to finance. I really did not get much out of my MBA. (ans also i graduated from a tier 4 college , i dont know whether it makes a difference).

I am would love to speak to your team members in upcoming months.

thanks again,
V