managing time in RC section

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

managing time in RC section

by poonam1279 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07 pm
Hi All,
I had the problem of managing time in RC section. I would just like to share my thoughts on this. I started using MGMAT stop watch and it dramatically improved accuracy of my answers as well as timing. I recommend this if you have issues with timing your tests. I nearly started getting all my answers in OG guide correct and with very good time management.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:35 am
MGMAT stop watch and it dramatically improved accuracy of my answers as well as timing
Could you please elaborate the approach?

by poonam1279 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:24 am
I used to take lot of time in RC section esp complicated RC passages while solving Official guide. Timing the passages helped increasing the speed and answering all questions within target time.
Strategy:
1. Read first question before reading the passage.
2. Read the passage in 2-3 minutes.
3. Skim through the passage first. If you have problems in speed. Place finger on sentences while reading and scroll through the passage.
4. Read first sentence of each paragraph and last sentences. Esp for purpose of the passage type questions. Author is primarily concerned with/ What is the main idea etc type questions.
For what passage suggests in lines .. type of questions you can go back to particular section and read it while answering.
5. Approximately 90 seconds to 1 minute to answer each question should be target.

by earth@work » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:43 pm
thanks poonam, i hv just started with RC, was having issues with timing... will keep these points in mind.