Please tell me how could i write it better. Thanks!!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Argument:

The following appeared in a science magazine:

"The "Space Race" of the 1960's between the USA and Russia was very expensive but it yielded a tremendous number of technological advances. These advances have provided many economic and humanitarian benefits. The benefits have more than paid for the effort and money spent during the Space Race and therefore the government should make allowances within the budget to pay for a manned Mars landing by 2020."

Analysis:
The argument states that the Space Race of 1960's between USA and Russia, though expensive, had led to numerous number of technological advances. These advances have provided many economic and humanitarian benefits. The effort and money spent was worth spending as compared to the benefits received. In the preceding statement the author claims that"therefore the government should make allowances within the budget to pay for a manned Mars landing by 2020". Though this claim may well have merit, the author presents a poorly reasoned argument based on several questionable premises and assumptions and based solely on the evidence the author offers, we cannot accept his argument as valid.

The primary issue in author's reasoning lies in his unsubstantiated premises. The Space Race during 1960's was expensive but the comparison is made between only USA and Russia, for example, it may not have been expensive for china etc. The technological advances may have provided economic and humanitarian benefits but what were those benefits is not mentioned by the author, for instance, did these benefits really helped people or it was only beneficial for the government etc. The author's premises, the basis for his argument, lack and legitimate evidentiary support and render his conclusion unacceptable.

In addition, the author makes several assumptions that remain unproven. The technological advances that provided economic and humanitarian benefits during the 1960's may have been due to the initial stage of the Space Race, but this does not necessarily mean that benefits received during that time are the same as benefits received presently. The technological advances may have been more or less as compared to the past. It is also possible that after the space Race there has not been many inventions etc. Also, the assumption made by the author that the benefits received by spending effort and money during 1960's will be the same as effort and money spent for manned Mars landing by 2020. The present scenario may be different i.e. it is possible that government may not be able to manage their budget. It may be going more than expected or not, no information is provided for the same.The author weakens his argument by failing to provide explication of links between Present and Past he assumes exists.

While the author does have some key issues in his premieses and assumptions that is not to say that the entire argument is without base. The author can provide more examples to suuport his arguement. He can give more details as to why the Space Race of the 1960's was successful and why the benefits were more than paid for the effort and money spent. He could give examples as to why the government should plan the manned mars landing by 2020 etc. Though there are several issues with author's reasoning at present, with research and clarfication he could improve his arguemnt singnificantly.

In sum, the author's illogical argument is based on several unsupported premises and unsusbtantiated assumptions that render is conlusion invalid. The argument has failed to establish comparison between prensent and past. The author has not given completed imformation as to why 1960's space Race was successful and even if it were why will the manned Mars landing in 2020 will be succesful. If the author truly hopes to change his readers mind, he would have to largely resturecture his argument.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:52 am
Hello Architj,

After your last response, I recommended being careful about writing mistakes and cutting back on long sentences.

Writing: There are still errors with spacing and punctuation, particularly quotations. This section
the author claims that"therefore
should be written as: the author claims that "therefore

I hope that helps show what I mean in terms of punctuation. Make sure to capitalize the names of countries (including China!) in your writing. You still use i.e. and etc often, but I think you can use them less frequently. Too many abbreviations can be distracting for the reader. There are a few typos, particularly in the last body paragraph and the conclusion.

Structure: You did a good job of including details in the conclusion, so your essay doesn't come across as a template. I didn't notice any problems with the structure.

Arguments/Examples: You found many different problems with the author's reasoning. so I think you should focus on your writing skills as you continue your AWA prep.

Suggestions for Improvement: There are still plenty of writing errors. Were you rushed during this response? I noticed more errors toward the end, so I wonder if you ran out of time and couldn't read through the last paragraphs before submitting your work. Once you improve these writing mistakes, you should reach a top score.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Best,
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Architj » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 pm
Yes there was no time left and the mistakes in end were because of that only.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm
Ok, good to hear. More practice will help you get quicker.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying