Please rate my essay

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Please rate my essay

by sogmat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:44 am
The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine on lifestyles.

"Two years ago, City L was listed 14th in an annual survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them. This information will enable people who are moving to the state in which City L is located to confidently identify one place, at least, where schools are good, housing is affordable, people are friendly, the environment is safe, and the arts flourish."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

My Analysis

The conslusion stated in the above argument does not seamlessly flow from the premises given. I present three major flaws in the argument to support my view

Firstly, the survey was conducted two year ago. It is not reasonable to assume that the same situation still exists. In two years a lot of things could have changed. For example any natural calamity could have changed the present situation. An earthquake could have destructed the city. Thus we cannot assume that the ranking holds true even today. Also, why is the argument not talking about the current ranking? Why is it using past data? It could imply the city's rank has fallen or it failed to appear in the ranking itself

Secondly, the rank 14th does not tell us whether the people in the city enjoy good quality of life. If it is a state survey, with only 14 cities, then the city ranks last in terms of qality of life enjoyed by its people. However, if it is global survey then the rank could imply that the people in the city enjoy good quality life. More information showing the relevance of the ranking is required, including the sample size.

Lastly, although parameters such as good schools, affordable housing, friendly people and others mentioned in the argument, may imply a qulaity life but are not the only contributors. The crime rate in the city is a very important paramter that needs to be looked at as well. Economic growth, availaibility of healthcare, etc are some other important parameter leading to analysis on quality of life

Thus, the argument stated above is weak and needs to be strengthened. If the argument provides further information in terms of the current ranking, the sample size of the survey and more information on the survey parameters, then it could be able to justify whether the people in the city enjoy a quality life.