Please Help! Profile Evalutation--Urgent GMAT question

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740
I am a Caucasian male, and I will be 28 at time of matriculation for fall 2013.

Schools:

Dream and main goal: Stanford

Then: Columbia, Wharton, Haas, Booth

Then: Fuqua, Darden

I would consider practically any of the top 15.

Academics:

GMAT: 700 (Q48/V38) Waiting on AWA-GMAT is below what I was expecting, I'll explain below.
GPA: 3.90 Suma cum laude overall at a top 40 southern state school known for football more than academics
Double majored in Accounting (3.92) and Finance (3.98) (UG accounting program is top 20)

Awards: Dean's or President's list every semester; numerous merit based scholarships
Activities: Served as a member and a chairman for a student liaison group between the Dean, school's board of governors, and the student body. I helped to establish a mentoring program which links current students and past alumni in mentor-mentee relationships. This program has continued to expand and has been a huge success. I was part of the first team of students to be selected for our student investment fund. I was also a member of one of our professional business fraternities.

I know my undergraduate school's reputation is not the strongest; however, I have my reasons for going to it. I was a strong student in high school and could have gone to a better school, but I would have had take out an excess amount of loans. I went to my school because I grew up loving the school, and it was 100% paid for on scholarship. The promise I made to myself by choosing to go there versus a higher ranked university was I had to graduate with a 3.9+ GPA, which I did. How competitive am I with a 3.9 coupled with my 700 GMAT?

A note about the GMAT score. I feel like I am a 720-740 GMAT scorer, however, I underperformed on my exam. During the exam the building's fire alarm went off (false alarm) and completely disrupted the test environment. The incident was marked, and I am waiting to hear back from GMAC if they will let me retake the exam for no charge. It was really a letdown to see a 700 as I was expecting higher. Should I retake the GMAT if I can make a 720/730? Should I only retake it if I can make a 740+? Would is severely damage my profile if I retake it and score another 700 (give or take 10 pt)? Am I better off just taking the time to focus on my completing my resume with extra circulars at this point? I am really torn about what to do. I need to decide soon though, so I can start studying again or move on.

Work Experience:

I interned in local government my junior year of undergraduate. I worked in Intergovernmental Affairs. I analyzed proposed State legislation to determine the impact on County Government and gained firsthand experience of the legislative process of a bill's life from proposal to enactment or failure.

The summer after my junior year I interned with a top 3 investment bank as a Controller in New York City. I worked as a Real Estate Controller handling the accounting processes of the firm's international RE funds. I accepted a fulltime offer to return after my senior year. I currently work in Regulatory Controllers. I work with internal risk systems to manage and report the control environment of the firm's businesses. I have created new reports and metrics to meet our regulators' demands. I have had the opportunity to be a peer mentor for two interns and an analyst. I was promoted after eighteen months, which is quicker than previous analysts in my group. I am heavily involved with recruiting at my firm. I regularly speak on panels and help with recruiting efforts. Within the next six months I plan on rotating to a new group, or leaving for a smaller firm to work in Sales and Trading (if attainable).

All in all I will have worked for four years by the time I go back to school. I will have worked for a little over three by the time I am applying.

My work experience question is: will working in as a controller role hurt my experience quality? Should I try to get to a front office job at a smaller firm? Would it be beneficial to stay at a name brand bank in the back office? Or is it a wash? Is there anything else I haven't considered or should be thinking about?

Extra-circulars:

I serve as a board member on my UG's business school's Alumni Board. I am one of the founding members that have helped get our board off the ground. Our focus is on strengthening the school's connection with our alumni base. We have a huge alumni base, but a relatively weak alumni network. Our goal is to help build the culture and environment to foster a connected network through various initiatives we have started.

I serve as a member on the Chapter Advisory Board for my school's chapter of one of our business fraternities. I am the financial advisor to the Chapter Advisor. We oversee the chapter's budget and the housing foundation.

I volunteer from time to time. Annually I help clean up public schools in the New York area. I helped my team raise $5,000 for Alzheimer's research (personally raised $500). I will be joining a mentoring program for at-risk teenagers in the new future. I am also joining a summer tutoring program for high school kids.

Other personal notes about my story: I love traveling. I studied abroad and backpacked around Europe for a summer. I like to cook. I love to run and workout. I am passionate about supporting my school and helping my college improve.

I know I need to keep becoming more involved. I don't hold any executive leadership positions in the groups I am involved in, but I am active and on committees. I feel like I don't have a 'wow' factor or anything that pops. I am a white male in finance. My relatively weak UG school coupled with an average 700 on GMAT scares me. I would really appreciate advice on how to improve my profile whether it is retaking my GMAT, focusing on improving my work or leadership experience, etc. I urgently need to make a decision on retaking the GMAT or not. I have approximately 19 months to work on my applications, so I have time to improve!

Is Stanford within reach? Should I temper expectations? Thank you for any help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 pm
Hi Ryan -

Thanks for your detailed profile. I can answer your urgent question pretty quickly - assuming the breakdown of your 700 was at least 80%/80% (I can't tell from the straight scores; I need the percentages), then there's no need for you to take the GMAT again. You have a double major in quantitative subjects with strong grades and work in a quantitative field; your GMAT isn't trying to prove anything, it's just confirming what the schools can already tell. A 720, or 740, is not going to prove to them that you are smart and can handle the workload; you have already done that with the score you received combined with your grades. Remember also that the schools are really just looking at the GMAT as a threshhold - 700 with an 80% split is like a dividing line for them not to have any concerns about your ability to perform. So if you feel like taking the test again and it will not affect anything else you are working on to build your profile, then sure, go ahead. But I do not believe that it will strengthen your profile substantially over the score/gpa combination you already have.

(Two caveats to the comments above: 1. I am making an assumption that your undergraduate classes were rigorous - that you pushed yourself to take advanced classes in your field. If that isn't the case - that instead all your classes were at an introductory or basic level - my answer would change somewhat. 2. If the split is wildly imbalanced with the quant score being low, my answer would change. So please confirm those points).

Business schools are less interested in the name of the school than how much you pushed yourself while there.

I think you have correctly identified where you can best spend your time - building your leadership areas outside of work. You have strong leadership in college but at 28, they are probably too far in the past to be the basis of more than one essay topic, if that. You do have some current ones, but try to look for opportunities to lead - organize an event rather than just participate, for example. Look for opportunities to get involved in areas that you already do - for example if you are a runner, find an activity that coaches kids on fitness and running. Then you will look forward to participating, which increases the chances that you will get an actual meaningful story out of the experience, not just a line on your resume.

I do not think that your being a controller will hurt your chances; that is a position where a lot of other areas intersect and can trigger some very interesting ethical stories or stories about conflict or risk. It also positions you a little differently than the "typical" finance guy; just as an example, I have helped many applicants in typical front office roles through the admissions process, but in my consulting career, only one controller.

I do think Stanford is a stretch - but with a 6% acceptance rate I think you would expect that! If you position your stories well though, and show a different side of yourself with each essay, and find stories that showcase your leadership and decision-making well, I think you will be competitive at the other schools on your list. I see no obvious weaknesses in your profile.

Best of luck. Please feel free to sign up for a free 30 minute consultation with me if you wish to discuss this further (www.mbamission.com) or to answer my questions here so I can reply.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

by ryantb55 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am
Thank you Jessica! That was an incredibly prompt response. To answer your questions:

1) I scored in the 83rd percentile in quant and the 82nd percentile in verbal. So, I did hit the 80/80 split, albeit barely.

2) I took 150 hrs. I took two majors. I completed all the course work require of me to complete these majors. I was invited to the student investment fund class, which you have to interview for. There were a couple challenging undergraduate finance courses I would have liked to have taken that I did not. This was due to scheduling conflicts. I did not seek out any graduate level courses, or go out of my way to take extra courses. I did take honors Chemistry I, honors Biology I, and honors General Pyschology. I was unsure if I wanted to major in the sciences or business at the beginning of my college career. So, I am not sure if that would be considered taking the hard courses or not? I chose to double major, accounting is considered the toughest business major on campus, and I took everything required of me.

What if I were able to score a 750+ will some effort? I think I could, but I would need to dedicate the next month and a half or so to studying again. I'm not sure if I want to put myself through that though. I appreciate the guidance, and will work towards building my leadership experience. Thank you for your advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:54 pm
Hi Ryan -

A 750 score is certainly excellent and differentiating, and given that you are a white male in finance, it can only help. But I don't recommend studying and taking the GMAT again if doing so will distract from your improving the leadership dimension of your profile. If you can do both simultaneously, then great, but if not, I think the leadership is more important.

I have seen candidates with 780 get rejected, and recently read an interview with an admissions director who said he took some satisfaction over rejecting applicants with such scores who clearly were coasting on the rest of their profile, figuring that a 760+ score would be enough to get them in at a 5-15 ranked school. I don't want that to happen to you!

Best of luck!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.

by ryantb55 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 am
Thanks for everything Jessica!

by ryantb55 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:50 am
Just giving an update--I decided on a whim to retake the GMAT. Studied for a week and scored a 740 (Q 86th %tile / V 95th %tile) yesterday! :) Strategy is still the same (beef up my extra cirrculars), but I feel a lot better about my raw numbers now!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 am
RYAN!! That's AWESOME! I still don't think you needed to, but it will only help. Thanks for the update and congratulations!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

by ryantb55 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:27 am
Thanks Jessica! And I agree with you, but honestly I retook it more for myself than for the score. The increase is great and all, but I needed to retake it to prove to myself I was a higher scorer. I knew I was, and that fire alarm really messed up my focus on verbal the first go around. So, I wrote a goal of 49/42 at the beginning of my studies, and I attained it. I haven't felt this happy since before I began my journey to beat the GMAT! :)