Veritas Prep

Please help me out with my profile...

This topic has 1 expert reply and 1 member reply
nick17india Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages

Please help me out with my profile...

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 pm
Hi this is Himanshu Chowdhury from New Delhi in India. I am a bright person but have some doubts regarding my past average profile. Ok first of all let me brief you about my profile.

1) Passed Matriculation/10th with 69.8% in 2000

2) Passed Higher Secondary/12th with 59.8% in 2003 (Failed one year in 11th due to illness so instead of passing 12th in 2002, passed in 2003)

3) Joined 4 year B.Tech course in Civil Engineering in Jamia Millia Islamia in 2003 (Failed first year in B.Tech because i was preparing for IIT-JEE so didnt gave my semester exams, so instead of passing B.Tech in 2007, passed in 2008)

4) Joined ACC Cements in July 2008 as a Management Trainee in Civil Department. Left the Company in April 2009 because my job wasn't much related to core civil engineering.

5) Joined a small time contractor in May 2009 as a Site Engineer in site execution work and worked with him till 31st Dec 2011 because now i needed a good brandname after learning my field work.

6) Joined Carrier Refrigeration and Air Conditioning in Jan 2012 through the payroll of another company called Team Lease (Team Lease assists corporate clients in their staffing requirements by providing contractual or temporary manpower). Here I'm working as a Civil Engineer and I am also handling Administration Work.

So that makes my Total Experience to 3 years and 7 months as of today. Now you know that my profile is relatively poor, but I have potential. I’ve been getting scores of 700+ in mock gmat tests, so I’m pretty sure I will get 720-750 in the actual gmat exam.

Why MBA ?
I have a keen interest in financial calculations which i do most of my time analyzing my personal finances and investments. I also want to open up my own business so an mba in entrepreneurship is a good option. I want to change my field and i think doing an mba and getting a good placement will help me in doing so.

Where to apply ?
An mba education is costly and therefore i need a good return on my investment, so I want to apply to the top 20 bschools (ranked according to FT 2012 global bschool rankings), but I’m not very sure whether they will consider my profile or not, even if I get an excellent gmat score. So regarding this i need your valuable help and suggestion.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
nick17india Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
9 messages
Top Reply
Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 am
Your reply quoted : "Second, it's nice that you want to move to Finance, but an Indian Tech guy wanting to move to finance is basically the worst profile you can send them! Why? Because already it's tough enough as an Indian candidate. Second, because they already have another hundred Indian candidates who have finance experience and the great GMAT, and it makes the competition for you really really tough!"

Well sir this means i will be barred from getting financial education just because I'm an indian tech guy and there are already other indian candidates with finance experience? I think its my right to choose my education and I can't let a bschool decide the same. Kindly advise which bschools can I aim for with such a profile and a gmat score above 720. I'm even considering ISB Hyderabad in India.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 am
Thanks for your long and detailed post!
Well sir, the first step is of course your GMAT. Because without your GMAT you don't really know where you can or should apply. But if you are scoring 700+ on mocks it's a good start.
First piece of advice: Try and leave time so that you can comfortably retake before deadlines just in case you don't get the score you are seeking first time around.

Second, it's nice that you want to move to Finance, but an Indian Tech guy wanting to move to finance is basically the worst profile you can send them! Why? Because already it's tough enough as an Indian candidate. Second, because they already have another hundred Indian candidates who have finance experience and the great GMAT, and it makes the competition for you really really tough!

Soooooo, in your case, I would consider sticking to your industry. It'll make things easier in the long run.

If you got any other questions, feel free to ask.
Good luck on your GMAT, and when you get that score, revert back to us and we can start chatting about schools.

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: nick17india

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts