please help me evaluate my profile...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
hi:

I have 9 years of experience in IT with a Global Bank. Recently I have moved to business operations side of the bank and working as senior business analyst in corporate banking division. I have B. Tech degree from IT BHU from INDIA. with GPA of 7.29 out of 10.

I have enough international exposure in following capacities:
a) Work Experience:
Have worked with virtual teams across the Asia , Latin America , USA and UK.
Have on location work experience ( 3 years in INDIA, 6 months USA and 6 years in Singapore)
b) Family : My family is pretty much international. My wife is from Latin America. My mother in law from Britain.

c) Residence: I am an Indian staying singapore for last 6 years.

Professional experience & leadership:
I am have good growth in professional career. I have executed different roles over last 9 years Starting as developer , moving to Bussiness analysis and Project management. In my current role I moved from IT to business operations of global bank. I managed teams , quality, budget , risk and schedule as part my jo responsibbilities.

At this stage of career I strongly realize that to achieve my passion I need :

1) skills to grasp the organizational and competitive possibilities to use IT as the prime driver and enabler of business strategy.
2) to challenge my thinking, change my outlook and choose my future
3) networks of strong professionals which can be supportive throughout the professional and personal lives.
4) not just a postgraduate but a post-experience qualification
5) skills and knowledge, to make the transition to much higher level of responsibility.

I think a MBA will help me with above needs.

Initially I would like to seek more prestigious position with my current Employer (world largest Financial institution). Because of the excellent preparation of the basics MBA will have provided me, I will excel and climb up the corporate ladder. After excelling in all aspects of the defined contribution, I would like to start with consulting to Banks/Financial Institutions (especially in developing countries) to achieve exceptional level of accuracy in their Technology and Operations.

I don't have much to talk about my extra curricular.

What do you think my chances with INSEAD , LBS , IMD , IESE and cambridge ?

Thanks.
Robin

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:09 am
Dear Robin,

I think you have the foundation to be competitive at your target schools although you did not give an indication of your GMAT. You need to put together a compelling application package and leverage what makes you unique, like your international experiences, and highlight your leadership/managerial skills. You have defined career goals and can make a strong rationale for the MBA. Get a great GMAT score and submit a stellar application, then enjoy your time in business school.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhaypratapsingh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 pm
Lisa:

Sorry to miss out on GMAT. My score is 710 (Q50 , V35).
I wanted your advise on my lack of my extra curricular. I have not been part of any NGO / community development / charity events. How do I come over this in my applications.

thanks,
Robin

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 am
Dear Robin,

The extra-curriculars are not a deal-breaker, but they do show a personal side of you and demonstrate your ability to handle multiple interests. Perhaps you have some hobbies or interests that you spend considerable time on? Or your company has community interests you have been involved with?

It sounds like your job has kept you quite busy, so it is understandable you would not have much time to spend on anything outside of work. It is not too late to find something to get involved in, but only get involved if you are truly interested not to add something to your application.

Make sure the rest of your application is strong and try not to worry too much about this piece. Maximize what you have to offer which is your work experience and international exposure.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me