Please evaluate my profile, European Eng.

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile, European Eng.

by sisqokc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm
Hi there,
have been reading the forum since a while, and this helped me to make a clear decision about doing an MBA or not.
So thank you guys for offering this opportunity.
Since I decided to jump on this path. As for one of my my first posts, I'll be glad if u could evaluate my profile and
my chances of hitting my target schools.

I'm a 30 Years old Engineer living in German, born in Africa and grew up in 3 different countries
for around 10 years each : France / Cameroon and Germany. Fluent in 3 language and basic knowledge in a 4th one

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
Started directly after the University in one of the TOP Fortune 100 companies in the automotive sector in Germany.
I have a total of 4 and a half year of work experience in this company as of today.
As an electrical Engineer, I'm reponsible for supporting the integration of all electrical components
for 2 specific product lines for my department. I've initiated 2 cost reducing actions with a positive impact of
several millions for the company
Actually leading an interdisciplinar team (5-6).. but have no presonal responsability over the member of the team.
I've been promoted one time, with no real impact on my daily job due to the structure of the company.

2) Your GMAT.
Not taken yet, still in preparation. Tagerting a score of 700+.
So u may consider this virtual score for enabling your evaluation

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
I have a 85% GPA in electrical Engineering from a not very renowned 4 Year college in Germany.
Trying to convert to the US Grades system, I think it relates to a A- or a 3.1-3.2(not sure).

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Expect some tutoring experiences for college freshman during my 3rd and 4th semseter, I had no real extra
curricular activities during college. This is due to the fact that I had to self-finance my studies.
Post College:Since 1 year, I'm member of the board of a non profit organisation with a yearly cashflow of around 3mio€
and responsible for the finances (CFO).

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
No Certifications.

6) Your target programs.
1st Choice: Wharton, Booth, LBS, Insead,
2nd Choice: Kellogg, Cambridge judge, Tuck, Ross, Duke, Stern.
3rd choice (safe??): Emory, Tepper, Darden,

7) Your post-MBA goal.
Since I have a passion for trading, My first short term target will be to achieve a change into I-Banking or PE.
My second Option would be to go into consulting.
The long Term target would be to come back in the industry at middle to high management level after
gathering enough experiences, or starting my own company.

To get the most out of this evaluation, I have some additional questions:

A) Are my choices (Target schools) and goals realsitic, or should I make some adjustements?
B) Are there any hidden strengths at first sight out of my profile? (I thing my intercultural backgroung should
be at least one).
C) Any Ideas, how can I differenciate from the typical Engineer applicant considering my profile?

Thanks in advance for the answer.
Cedric.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 pm
Hi Sisqokc -

Thank you for your detailed inquiry and please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this response.

I think you did a very thorough job of laying out your profile and have a good handle on your strengths. You have strong academics in an rigorous quantitative fields, longevity at a specific company with one promotion and several initiatives you are responsible for, an interesting international background and a leadership role with a non profit. I think working in the automotive industry is also a unique aspect to your candidacy that will make you stand out.

I do note two potential weaknesses I want to address. The first, and more minor one, is that you didn't in the brief profile below tell me much about the leadership role you play with the non profit. Sitting on the board is good, but not enough - be sure that as you prepare for your applications you seek opportunities to drive change and lead. Maybe it is through training the organization in the financials, or organizing a fundraiser, etc.

The second concern is about your goals. Business schools want to see a clear and logical flow from your past to your present (the MBA) to your future. This holds true even in the case of career changers. Your goals - trading or consulting or returning to industry - are not yet well-articulated enough to show that logical flow. Please go to our website store (www.mbamission.com/store) and download our free Personal Statement guide. It will walk you through how to present your goals in a way that makes them compelling and logical.

If you can achieve that clarity, then I think you have a very good grasp on your school tiers. I might quibble with Darden's placement (it's pretty competitive) or Ross (I think you'll have a very good shot there because of your automotive background and your international background) but overall it is a very good list.

In terms of differentiating yourself from other engineers, to a degree your industry and international background do that. To do so even more, focus on the leadership aspects of the stories you tell rather than the engineering aspects. For example, a story about implementing an engineering change is somewhat jargon-y; a story about overcoming resistance from management to implement the change stands out more. (You may want to take a look at our blog post "overrepresenting your overrepresentation" as well.)

I hope this is helpful - if you wish to discuss your profile further please feel free to sign up for a 30 minute free consultation; the link is on our website.

Best of luck,

Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sisqokc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:13 am
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the input. Your really put the finger on some points
I really need to work on. I will take a look on the links you mentioned.

Another point i'm not sure about is actually my age, with 32 for the starting
class of 2012 i'm on the upper class range and I guess it may have an impact
on the decision process. Do you have any related experience with such cases ?

Thx again for the previous feedback.
Cedric

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:18 pm
Hi, thanks for writing back. Have you taken the GMAT yet?

While it is true that schools tend to skew younger, I don't think your age (30 right now, right?) will have a huge negative impact. The "worst" offenders on the age issue are Harvard and Stanford, and even at Harvard, the average age this year crept up a year to 27. Wharton and Booth trend a bit older and European schools even more so. It all comes down to what you have done in that time - a 31 year old who has stayed in one job with nothing to show for it, or who has switched careers/industries/jobs frequently, is a riskier candidate than someone who has steadily increased their responsibility and accomplishments during that time. Be sure to explain why NOW (as opposed to 2-3 years ago) for the schools that ask it.

But the bottom line is - you cannot change your age, so don't worry about it! Use it to your advantage to show how it gave you increased experiences. And yes - another blog post: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/12/ ... m-too-old/

I hope that helps!

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php