Please advise

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please advise

by icevaliant » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:46 am
Hello,

I'm not the typical candidate thinking about applying to MBA programs and am in need of some advice, which would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about applying for the entering class of Fall 2013.

Here is my academic history:

3.91 GPA in Philosophy (BA 2007)from small, unknown liberal arts religiously affiliated school.
4.0 GPA in Philosophy (MA 2009( from California State University, Los Angeles.
3.7 GPA in Philosophy (PhD expected 2013) from the University of California, San Diego.

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but am confident in my test-taking abilities. Though expired, my GRE (from 2006) is a 1400, 6.0 AWA. (660 V, 94%, 740 Q, 84%).

Here's the main problem from what I've gleaned in my research involving the MBA. I have no full-time work experience in business. I have several years (4+) as a teaching assistant, the last two of which consisted in my teaching my own sections.

I have several extra-curriculars, but mainly from my college days. There has been nothing recently, but I have much free time next year to pursue this and internships.

I have a few questions:

1. What would the best thing I can do at this point to enhance my profile? Since I am located at UCSD, I have access to taking some classes there, even possibly ones offered to the MBA students. I also have access to the undergraduate management and economics classes. I also have researched some possible internships for the next year. There are also plenty of leadership opportunities available.

2. How will my PhD in philosophy be looked at? Will it help? Hurt? Not be of particular advantage or disadvantage?

3. What are my chances of being admitted to UCLA's full-time MBA program if I can get a good (715+) GMAT score, some internships, and some extra leadership on my resume? Is the school too much of a reach? What schools would be appropriate for me?

Thank you,

Tom

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:17 am
Hello icevaliant, thanks for your questions.

As you remark, you are not the typical candidate!

In response to your questions:

"¢ MBA programs often admit teachers and people who work at non-profits; the lack of business experience is not, in itself, a death knell to your candidacy at all. Are there business-y aspects of your teaching experience that you can call out? How about instances where you demonstrated leadership, the ability to drive results, take initiative. If you could draw upon those types of experiences both at work and outside of work, I wouldn't worry as much about the lack of traditional or conventional business experience. If you cannot, then your main objective might be to acquire as many of those types of experiences as you can before applying.

"¢ Regarding your PhD in philosophy, it really depends on how you weave it into your overall story. If you can paint a cohesive and logical career path that ties connects your past and present to your future goals, that could move the needle. In telling that story, you will have to demonstrate a need to get an MBA and clearly explain your rationale.

"¢ You are a unique case, and different programs might evaluate your experience in varying ways. My strong advice is to reach out to UCLA and other potential programs you are interested in and engage the admissions offices. In my experience, they will be glad to speak with you about your situation and perhaps even recommend the best path forward for you.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php