Physicist Richard Feynman

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Physicist Richard Feynman

by bornsupreme » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:41 am
Hi,

See the below SC ques:

The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.
a)The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.
b)For undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a two-year course, being a comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
c)A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course by the physicist Richard Feynman presenting to
undergraduate students an introduction to modern physics.
d)Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
e)In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a
comprehensive introduction to modern physics.

OA is E but how??
Please oblige me..

Thanks.
Some choose L!fe, Some choose death.
I choose not to choose.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by punitkaur » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:45 pm
The physicist Richard Feynman presented a comprehensive introduction to modern physics designed for undergraduate students in a two-year course.

First of all, look for errors in the given sentence.

x presented a comprehensive intro to modern physics designed for..

the sentence is wrongly implying that modern physics is designed for undergrad students.

Eliminate A

B) two year course being a comprehensive introduction.. Does not make sense-Eliminate

C) A comprehensive introduction was in a two-year course. Does not make sense - Eliminate

D)Presenting a comprehensive introduction - don't really see a need for the present -ing modifier form here.

E) This is the only choice that is grammatically correct and implies a proper meaning that the two year course is designed for undergrad students and the physicist presented a compre intro to modern physics.

Hence the answer is E.

Hope this helps.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mayank Singh » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 am
what does the modifer 'In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students' modify here?
is it the noun - The physi....
or the verb presented..

any clues ...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bornsupreme » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 am
Hi Puneet,

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you with all the ans choices explanation except for choice (E) because in my opinion the modifyin clause "In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students" seems to modify "the physicist Richard Feynman" as mentioned by Mayank as well..

anyone with a reasonable explanation please help..

Thanks.
Some choose L!fe, Some choose death.
I choose not to choose.

by RadiumBall » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm
I have the same question as above, can someone please clarify.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 pm
RadiumBall wrote:I have the same question as above, can someone please clarify.
Well if you read the sentence for a complete picture as suggested repeatedly by experts , there is no better option than E .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

by RadiumBall » Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 pm
Yes I fully agree that one can get the answer by POE, infact I hit this answer first time but then when I tried to re-verify I thought how can the physicist be in a 2-year course designed for undergraduates.

You see such silly mistakes are the biggest killers in the exam and I want a well-defined approach for this problem.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Tue May 03, 2011 3:00 am
Hey guys, i agree that Op E is the best choice, and i eliminated Op A,B and C convincingly but in Op D and Op E i pick Op E as Op E is more clear...Can any tell me the exact error in Op D because i think there is no modifier error in Op D....

@punitkaur
Presenting a comprehensive introduction - don't really see a need for the present -ing modifier form here.
I don't think this reasoning given for Op D is correct...so guys please give your explanation for Op D apart from this choice...

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 am
bornsupreme wrote:Hi Puneet,

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you with all the ans choices explanation except for choice (E) because in my opinion the modifyin clause "In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students" seems to modify "the physicist Richard Feynman" as mentioned by Mayank as well..

anyone with a reasonable explanation please help..

Thanks.
Here is the way which always holds in modifier questions...place WHO / WHAT before the modifier....

Op E: WHO In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students...???

Answer: the physicist Richard

OR

WHAT In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students...???

Answer: the physicist Richard presented something..---> a clause

In both the cases if u see the modifier is followed by the answer, hence it is placed correctly.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Tue May 03, 2011 5:21 am
d)Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.
e)In a two-year course designed for undergraduate students, the physicist Richard Feynman presented a
comprehensive introduction to modern physics.
@Atul

In option D introduction and then again introduced is used that seems redundant .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sharmasumitn1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 am
atulmangal wrote:Hey guys, i agree that Op E is the best choice, and i eliminated Op A,B and C convincingly but in Op D and Op E i pick Op E as Op E is more clear...Can any tell me the exact error in Op D because i think there is no modifier error in Op D....

@punitkaur
Presenting a comprehensive introduction - don't really see a need for the present -ing modifier form here.
I don't think this reasoning given for Op D is correct...so guys please give your explanation for Op D apart from this choice...
Atul,
D says

Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

This means that by presenting X, the physicist introduced Y. This is not what sentence intends to mean.

The Physicist is introducing modern physics in a comprehensive introduction to students in a course.

Lets take a similar sentence structure.

Hitting a sixer, Dhoni finished the final match.

Dhoni finished match by hitting sixer.

Here physicist did not finish introduction of physics by presenting comprehensive introduction. The physicist introduced students to modern physics by comprehensive introduction in the whole course.

i hope this helps.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 am
sharmasumitn1 wrote:
Atul,
D says

Presenting a comprehensive introduction, the physicist Richard Feynman introduced modern physics in a two-year course designed for undergraduate students.

This means that by presenting X, the physicist introduced Y. This is not what sentence intends to mean.

The Physicist is introducing modern physics in a comprehensive introduction to students in a course.

Lets take a similar sentence structure.

Hitting a sixer, Dhoni finished the final match.

Dhoni finished match by hitting sixer.

Here physicist did not finish introduction of physics by presenting comprehensive introduction. The physicist introduced students to modern physics by comprehensive introduction in the whole course.

i hope this helps.
Nice explanation, yup i got your point...Thanks..