Percentage of worng answers w/ RC 3000

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

Percentage of worng answers w/ RC 3000

by isisalaska » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:39 pm
Hi
I have been practicing with RC 3000 and I am getting about 20% wrong answers (out of 40). Can anyone tell me what percentile would that be? In other words, I need and indicator of how I am doing. Thanks!
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
isisalaska wrote:Hi
I have been practicing with RC 3000 and I am getting about 20% wrong answers (out of 40). Can anyone tell me what percentile would that be? In other words, I need and indicator of how I am doing. Thanks!
Hi Isis:

Unfortunately, there is no way to translate your performance on RC 3000 to a verbal percentile, for several reasons:
  • These are just RC questions and doesn't include SC or CR
  • RC 3000 may not represent actual GMAT questions very well (they are not from OG)
  • We have no way of knowing the difficulty level of the questions you got correct or incorrect. Difficulty level is factored into your verbal score.
Thus, my advice to you would be to not read into your RC performance too much. Focus on identifying your weaknesses and improving upon them.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 pm
OG 11's diagnostic test at the beginning of the book might be of help to you...

still theres no way to estimate like that...

just stop worrying about each type (eg.RC or CR alone.) and take practice tests to gauge the performance.

10 Feb is close 8)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:42 pm
Also, be aware that the percentage you get wrong has very little to do with your final score. Eric mentioned this in his post, but I just want to elaborate: DO NOT base your progress on the number of questions you get right.

The difficulty level of the questions you get right or wrong is a far greater indicator of your score than just the raw number you get right or wrong - COMPLETELY different from the way we were tested in school.

Most people get roughly half the questions right (and roughly half wrong, of course) on the test - and they score anywhere from 300 to 700 with that performance. Think about that - you can score in the 90th percentile and get only about half the questions right. (This is approx. of course - maybe you'll get 56% right or something like that.)

The difference lies in the difficulty levels of the questions. Below 300 and above 700, you'll start to get more wrong or more right, respectively - but even a perfect score, 800, means you're getting around 5 or so questions wrong in each section.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me