PCV 2nd round evaluations needed please help!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

PCV 2nd round evaluations needed please help!

by zab002 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 am
Female/Central Asian /24

University: Bucknell (Major: Economics and International Relations
GPA - overall 3.0 (started off as a biology major switched half- way through college career to Econ and I.R the low overall GPA is due to the first 2 years in the sciences and the second two years maintained a GPA of approx. 3.4 )

GMAT 1st 570 Q: 35 V 33 (AWA 6)
2nd 570 Q: 42 V 27

Work experience: Consulting Internship in Shanghai China
Research Intern at Central Bank of Barbados
Mentor Coordinator for an after-school tutoring program at Bucknell University
Volunteer experience: Bucknell Brigade in Nicaragua
Teaching English in China
Peace Corps of the United States - Thailand
Languages: can speak Thai, Mandarin Chinese, Uyghur, English

Here are some of my questions that I would greatly appreciate some answers:
1. What does the drastic quant improvement mean to admissions - is that good enough to apply to schools without taking the exam the third time (in august)? (esp if I cannot spare the same hours to study the next month and would like to apply for 2nd round admissions Fall 2012)

2. School list: Boston U, U of Michigan, U of MD, U of VA, Monterrey Institute of International Studies, Duke, Carnegie Melon, Georgetown, George Washington - I am interested in pursuing a dual degree in NGO Management /Public Policy - so, is it true that esp for a concentration such as NGO/nonprofit Management if the degree is not from a well known school it does not pay to take the MBA route?

3. If I cannot take the exam for the third time, also taking my overall profile into consideration, should I change my school list ? What are my chances ---- very low?

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 pm
Hello zab002, thanks for your question.

To your question about GMAT: Congratulations on the increased quant score; by the scale I'm looking at, you increased it from approximately the 40th percentile to the 60th, which is a significant increase. However, the schools will probably look at the best overall score rather than the improvement, and I'm afraid that for many of the schools on your list, the GMAT is just not going to make you competitive. For example, at the University of Michigan, the middle 80% of scores ranged from 650 to 750, so your 570 puts you significantly into the bottom 10%. On the other hand, the bottom of the 80% range at University of Maryland is 600, which is much closer to your score. I think in many ways you have a really interesting and appealing background, but that GMAT score is going to hurt you at many of your choices. If you think you can pull it up over 600, that will make a difference I think.

In a larger sense, you are a unique candidate, given your international and Peace Corps experience. This and your gender make you part of an underrepresented demographic of applicant, which buys you a bit of slack on your GMAT (as opposed to, say, male Indian engineers or male investment bankers). That said, programs will still want to be assured that you can handle the academic rigor of business school. Given, that your GPA is also borderline, I think you still need to prove to the admissions committees that you have the mental horsepower for their programs. Do you feel your GPA and GMAT score reflect your academic aptitude and potential? If not, can you refer to any analogue that would be a better indicator?

Certainly the increase in your GPA is a strong point, and I think writing an optional essay explaining your improved GPA for the latter part of college is a good idea, and you might also speak to another, better test score or grade that more accurately represents your academic prowess.

If you could, I would urge you to get your GMAT splits to as close to 80% for both quant and verbal or even get the overall score into the 600s but only if you have the time and you think you could move the needle on the scores. Sounds like time may be an issue for you? You have time for the 2nd round, even if you cannot devote time over the next month. It's not too late.

To your second question: I think we're conflating issues here (needing the MBA/ dual degree vs. ranking). You haven't mentioned your post-MBA goals. Let's set aside school reputation/ranking for a moment. Given your experience and where you would like to go in the future, do you need/require business school (or dual degree you propose) to bridge that gap? That is the single most important question here. If yes, then you should pursue the best program you can gain admission into, regardless of ranking. If you need that degree, then you need that degree, and the ranking is secondary. If the answer is no, then perhaps a different grad degree would be more appropriate or perhaps you can achieve your goals, albeit more slowly perhaps, by pursuing another route.

Whether or not you end up retaking the test, you should apply to some reach schools but also some safeties, where your GMAT score is within the middle 80%; if you can get it close to the mean of that school, you will have removed the GMAT completely as a weakness in that application. Your essays are where you will have to really shine. I encourage you to leverage your unique work and international experience!

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php