Part time MBA + Career Switch

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Part time MBA + Career Switch

by gmat072014 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:58 am
Hi

I am planning to enroll in a part time MBA program at one of top 20 schools in the east coast(NYU,UMD,Georgetown)for the academic year starting in 2015 and I am in the process of preparing my application for the same(GMAT,Recommendation letters and Essays etc...)
I am posting this topic on this forum hoping that someone who may be(or may have) going through the same jitters as me will read this post and give me some advice.
So here it goes...
I have read in numerous blogs/websites and forums that most of the schools do not allow part time MBA students to participate in the on campus recruitment and that the OCR is strictly meant for Full time students.
Much as i would like not to believe so but I am looking to get some concrete information from a reliable source.Its not possible to directly get in touch with an alumni easily unless you know one personally
Having been in the IT industry for over 10 years,I am now looking to completely switch career to a field that is non-technical and more of business oriented.
Is this doable with a part time MBA?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat072014 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 am
NO views NO replies - Did i make this post in the wrong forum?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:42 am
Hey there mate,

Sorry it took us so long to get to you! The Application Process or Ask an Admissions Consultant threads are usually better for questions like this.

So - your friend is right. Mostly. Let's start at the program level first. For the most part, PT folks aren't invited to FT events. Different jobs, different employers (to some degree), and different career services department. It wouldn't be fair to FT students to have PT students flood their events.

That said, Career Services for PT programs (some stronger than others) do host events and help career transitioners. However, to attend these events you generally need explicit permission from your employer, especially if you're sponsored or they're paying for any part of your education. The school is concerned about maintaining relationships with current/future employers so that's something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!