Parrelism problem

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Parrelism problem

by Stockmoose16 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm
Can someone explain why the original sentence isn't parallel. I don't understand the MGMAT explanation:

Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

A) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from
B) that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of
C)living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from
D)that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of
E)living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by 2008 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:51 pm
i m not mother tongue, but should not be parallel as the second part "almost wholly ...." is not beginning with something that refers to the subject as THAT (in the first part) and WHOSE (in the third one)

correct answer should be E

but as said, i m not mother tongue

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Stockmoose16 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 pm
2008 wrote:i m not mother tongue, but should not be parallel as the second part "almost wholly ...." is not beginning with something that refers to the subject as THAT (in the first part) and WHOSE (in the third one)

correct answer should be E

but as said, i m not mother tongue
That is incorrect. The OA is B.

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm
imo:B

Apart from parallelism...

"different from"... is the idiom!!

A - Incorrect - whose coloring is completely differnet from all other sparrows (color is compared with sparrow which is wrong, color should be compared with colors of other sparrows)
C - Incorrect - same reason above.
E - Incorrect - same reason above.

B & D

D - color correctly compared (that of all other sparrows) but almost wholly is not modifying properly. It seems cypress groves is almost whollyl dependednt on the berries.

B - Correct choice.

1. is almost wholly - correctly modifies that the sparrows are dependent on the berries
2. coloring completely different from that of - correctly compares color with color

Hope this is fine.

HI RON

by siddharth rastogi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:22 am
HI RON

HERE, WHY D IS INCORRECT?