parallelogram

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

parallelogram

by Fractal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:42 am
in the quadrilateral PQRS, side PS is parallel to side QR. Is PQRS a parallelogram?

(1) PS=QR
(2) PQ=RS

Answer is A, but why?

I think that with this information, it could also be a square instead of a parallelogram? A square

thx for help

Followed by:3 members

by kmittal82 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:00 am
Fractal wrote:in the quadrilateral PQRS, side PS is parallel to side QR. Is PQRS a parallelogram?

(1) PS=QR
(2) PQ=RS

Answer is A, but why?

I think that with this information, it could also be a square instead of a parallelogram? A square

thx for help
Isnt a square a type of parallelogram? :)
A parallelogram is simply a quadrilateral with 2 parallel sides. If PS=QR, you automatically know that PQ=RS, so it could either be a rectangle, square, rhombus, all of which are parallelograms
Last edited by kmittal82 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 am
IMO A.

from 1: u can get a parallelogram. as PS||QR and PS=QR the chances are Rectangle, Square, Parallelogram, Rhombus. All of these make PQ||RS.

from2: if PQ=RS the chances are all quadrilaterals. So when you see a trapezium out of all these quadrilaterals although PQ=RS PQ cannot be parallel to RS

by Fractal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 am
kmittal82 wrote:
Fractal wrote:in the quadrilateral PQRS, side PS is parallel to side QR. Is PQRS a parallelogram?

(1) PS=QR
(2) PQ=RS

Answer is A, but why?

thx for help
A parallelogram is simply a quadrilateral with 2 parallel sides. If PS=QR, you automatically know that PQ=RS, so it could either be a rectangle, or a square, both of which are parallelograms
ah ok thx. i didn't know they when GMAT is asking for a paralleogram, it can also be a square or a rectangular.

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:10 am

(1) PS=QR
(2) PQ=RS

Answer is A, but why?

thx for help
Hi Fractal, unless until u combine 1 and 2 you can never say whether the quadrilateral is a square. But the answer here is clearly A. So no question arises about square. If u combine the info from 1 and 2 then it will be a Rhombus not strictly a square though all squares are themselves Rhombus.

Hope this helps. If u want to how it is A then u can check above I ve explained it.

Thanks,
Shovan

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:560

by alivapriyada » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 am
kmittal82 wrote:

(1) PS=QR
(2) PQ=RS

Answer is A, but why?

thx for help
A parallelogram is simply a quadrilateral with 2 parallel sides. If PS=QR, you automatically know that PQ=RS, so it could either be a rectangle, square, rhombus, all of which are parallelograms

nice explanation!!!
totally agreed with you.