Paper Test

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Paper Test

by camitava » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:01 pm
Guys help me again -
12. Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history of various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.
(A) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are
(B) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,
(C) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are
(D) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also
(E) Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also
Again, I will disclose the OA later. Pls bear with me ...
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:32 pm
Answer should be D

An opening such as "also" indicates a contradiction. But the fact that museums are either devoted to local history of various ethnic groups is not a contradiction to the fact that they are open on summer weekends. Based on this I would disqualify all options beginning w "although"

Ans E is non-sense. Poor grammatical structure

Now we have C & D left.

the ", but" in C also indicates that a contradiction is about to follow. Since the contradiction never follows this one is out as well.

D combines the two pieces of info into a cohesive sentence: museums are deveopted locala history and and various ethnic groups ... AND they are also open on weekends

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:19 pm
Got it buddy! Gr8 explanation ... Obviously the OA is D.
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am
I coudn't understand it:

Can somebody explain in basic OG level explanation...i mean grammatical mistake..or such reference to OG explained Questions..