Paper Test: CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Paper Test: CR

by camitava » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:02 am
Help me in this CR -
The chanterelle, a type of wild mushroom, grows beneath host trees such as the Douglas fir, which provide it with necessary sugars. The underground filaments of chanterelles, which extract the sugars, in turn provide nutrients and water for their hosts. Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.
Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?
(A) The number of wild mushrooms harvested has increased in recent years.
(B) Chanterelles grow not only beneath Douglas firs but also beneath other host trees.
(C) Many types of wild mushrooms are found only in forests and cannot easily be grown elsewhere.
(D) The harvesting of wild mushrooms stimulates future growth of those mushrooms.
(E) Young Douglas fir seedlings die without the nutrients and water provided by chanterelle filaments.
What can be the answer & why?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by crak.gmat » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:31 pm
IMO D: As it says harvesting leads to further growth of these mushrooms, which in turn will benefit the Firs

Legendary Member

by camitava » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:43 pm
crak.gmat, thanx 4 ur response! But what's the problem if I select E? E says about the necessity of chanterelle growing beneath the Douglas fir.Little more input pls! Crack.gmat, can u pls give me ur explanation in little detail?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

by James_83 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:18 pm
I also choose E. :(

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sasha79 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:21 pm
E strenghtens the conclusion. We're looking for a weaken here..

Legendary Member

by camitava » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:52 pm
sasha, thanx 4 ur input! But if u refer the Qs again, the conclusion is -
harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree
and the Qs is asking to criticize the conclusion. According to me, E is doing the thing. Can u pls have a little look on it? Guys, some other thought?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by stubbornp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 pm
crak.gmat wrote:IMO D: As it says harvesting leads to further growth of these mushrooms, which in turn will benefit the Firs
Answer should be E....Even i think about D also,But E looks better....

BCOZ the premise which supports the conclusion is Because of this mutually beneficial relationship...We have to attack on this premise.....[/b]

by banker1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:25 am
IMO: D

We want to weaken the conclusion which states:Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Said another way: harvesting chanterelles is bad for the Fir tree

(A), (B), and (C) are out of scope and can be eliminated.

(E) strengthens the conclusion that Fir trees die if they do not get the nutrients from chantelles.

(D) weakens the conclusion by saying harvesting mushrooms stimulates (increases) future growth of mushrooms.

Please post the OA.

by LifetimesofSC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 am
Whats the point of posting a question without the official answer?

:twisted: I chose E

But serisouly, i'm about to write a book called Posting for Dummies. Please post the Answer.

by LifetimesofSC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 am
LifetimesofSC wrote:Whats the point of posting a question without the official answer?

But serisouly, i'm about to write a book called Posting for Dummies. Please post the Answer.
Reasoning-- last sentence reads:
Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Weakening that statement would mean the Douglas fir relies on the shroom.

Again please post the answer. this shroom talk got me trippin

by banker1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 am
LifetimesofSC wrote:
LifetimesofSC wrote:Whats the point of posting a question without the official answer?

Reasoning-- last sentence reads:
Because of this mutually beneficial relationship, harvesting the chanterelles growing beneath a Douglas fir seriously endangers the tree.

Weakening that statement would mean the Douglas fir relies on the shroom.

Again please post the answer. this shroom talk got me trippin
Wouldn't weaking that statement mean the Fir does not rely/ need the mushrooms for nutrients?

Off topic but inline with one of your previous posts... I'll help you distribute your book (https://www.beatthegmat.com/requests-for ... 18156.html).
Last edited by banker1 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:2 members

by schumi_gmat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 am
Answer - E

The conclusion says that growth mushroom below the Fir tree is harming the tree.

option E says, that young tree die without the nutrients supplied by mushrooms, which mean mushrooms are not endangering the tree and helping it. hence answer is E

D speaks about "harvesting leads to further growth of these mushrooms" this means that it will be even more beneficial for the tree and which endangers the tree as per the conclusion and hence strenghtens rather than weakens

by banker1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 am
schumi_gmat wrote:Answer - E

The conclusion says that growth mushroom below the Fir tree is harming the tree.

option E says, that young tree die without the nutrients supplied by mushrooms, which mean mushrooms are not endangering the tree and helping it. hence answer is E

D speaks about "harvesting leads to further growth of these mushrooms" this means that it will be even more beneficial for the tree and which endangers the tree as per the conclusion and hence strenghtens rather than weakens
You might want to reread the passage. The mushrooms and Fir tree have a mutually beneficial relationship.

The first sentence of the passage says: Fir trees provide the mushroom with necessary sugars and the mushrooms provide nutrients and water for the hosts (Fir trees). The second sentence starts with: Because of this mutually beneficial relationship which is the exact opposite of your reasoning for choosing E.

Legendary Member

by camitava » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 am
Banker1,
I believe I got it now! Hey I will say that this CR is either little tricky or I confused myself a lot. Thanks a lot, buddy ...
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Legendary Member

by camitava » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:59 pm
Thanks a lot guys 4 ur support! Sorry for letting you people know the OA so late. Anyway, the OA is D.
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava