only 610 - Not Happy - How Can I improve????

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
It seems like I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. I was shocked at my score. I was scoring between 600 and 640 on the MGMAT CAT's and got 670 on the GMAT Prep CAT before doing the actual test. I felt confident and I wasn't nervous during the test. Don't know what happened? I was told that the MGMAT were harder CATs and that the actual one would be easier, perhaps that put me too much at ease.

I really need to find a way to determine my weaknesses. I think it could be about better analysing my mistakes on the CATs, but not sure.

I want to improve overall because i got 41Q 34V on the actual test which I know this is below my capability. I also felt that the answer choices that I was making within the time limit for the questions were not confident ones. I thought I overcame this problem during the CATs.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:50 am
Identifying the weak areas and improving on them would be best thing to do before you retake the exam. You can relax in the exam but at the same time you need to extremely attentive. The exam has lot of traps and the problem is you will realise the impact only when you see the score :x

Take additional practict tests once you are done with strenthening your weak areas...and take these practice tests as if it is the actual exam (same time limits, same breaks and tell yourself that this is the actual exam each time)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by GMAT Newbie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 am
Hi Prasanna,
I am going to review all my previous CATs and really work hard at analysing my mistakes.

The problem is that I went into the exam with good strategies for all the question types, but especially in the quant, I did not get any of the typical math questions....this confuded me and I am trying to taylor my next bit of studying so that if I am in the same situation again I can improve.

How can I do that?

Cheers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:54 pm
GMAT Newbie

The exam has so many different types of problems and I dont think one can be ready for each problem type. At the same time you have to remember- whatever the question type, the question can almost always be simplified and answered in 2-3 min max. Hence you could just concentrate on your weak areas and continue to practice. Practice is the KEY...concentrate on both accuracy and timing..The exam will def get easier

All the best

Prasanna