• Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

One clear advantage of selling goods online is that_veritas

This topic has 4 expert replies and 2 member replies
conquistador Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
19 Sep 2014
Posted:
266 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Thanked:
3 times

One clear advantage of selling goods online is that_veritas

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:18 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    One clear advantage of selling goods online is that smaller markets can be served without the seller needing to invest in heavy inventory costs. Recordings of classical music, for example, are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile, but the aficionado can now locate nearly any classical CD in print on the Internet. In addition, forward-thinking artists without national reputations have made their music available on personal sites or through services that provide the musicians a more generous share of profits than that offered by the large record labels. For some, this has resulted in increased sales volume, greater return on investment, greater control of product, and a more direct connection with an eager market base. Major orchestras and record labels have taken note, and have created Web sites where one can purchase individual tracks, full CDs, archival recordings, and even music exclusively made available for online downloads. Some symphony orchestras now include, with the price of admission to a concert, the right to download a recording of the concert afterward. Other services allow the listener unlimited streaming or downloading for a
    monthly fee.

    The question remains as to whether classical music will remain at the periphery of the online market, just as it is in the big retail chains. The short answer is most likely yes; classical music is now just one more niche market, albeit one with a particularly long and distinguished past. Cultural factors-most notably television-have been at work for some time now, creating a limited audience for music that requires sustained critical
    listening. However, the digital economy has ensured two important factors. First, for those with an interest, an impressively wide range of classical music will be available for some time to come. Second, motivated new artists can earn enough to continue to produce new recordings.

    It can be inferred from the passage that one factor that has led to the marginalizing of classical music in retail stores is that _______.
    (A) classical music must compete with a wide range of other niche market recordings
    (B) physical space is needed for better-selling recordings
    (C) major orchestras have had a difficult time selling tickets to live performances
    (D) inventory costs of classical music recordings tend to be higher than those associated with popular music
    (E) recordings are displayed in a way that is disadvantageous to the consumer who is interested in a recording that is not a big seller

    I agree B can be answer but going by below content of passage

    Quote:
    Recordings of classical music are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile,
    This can mean that shops will contain only those music CD's which sale well and bring profit for the keeper.
    cant we say that classical music are competing with other niche market recordings in finding the space in shop.
    plz explain why A is wrong.

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm
    Mechmeera wrote:
    One clear advantage of selling goods online is that smaller markets can be served without the seller needing to invest in heavy inventory costs. Recordings of classical music, for example, are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile, but the aficionado can now locate nearly any classical CD in print on the Internet. In addition, forward-thinking artists without national reputations have made their music available on personal sites or through services that provide the musicians a more generous share of profits than that offered by the large record labels. For some, this has resulted in increased sales volume, greater return on investment, greater control of product, and a more direct connection with an eager market base. Major orchestras and record labels have taken note, and have created Web sites where one can purchase individual tracks, full CDs, archival recordings, and even music exclusively made available for online downloads. Some symphony orchestras now include, with the price of admission to a concert, the right to download a recording of the concert afterward. Other services allow the listener unlimited streaming or downloading for a
    monthly fee.

    The question remains as to whether classical music will remain at the periphery of the online market, just as it is in the big retail chains. The short answer is most likely yes; classical music is now just one more niche market, albeit one with a particularly long and distinguished past. Cultural factors-most notably television-have been at work for some time now, creating a limited audience for music that requires sustained critical
    listening. However, the digital economy has ensured two important factors. First, for those with an interest, an impressively wide range of classical music will be available for some time to come. Second, motivated new artists can earn enough to continue to produce new recordings.

    It can be inferred from the passage that one factor that has led to the marginalizing of classical music in retail stores is that _______.
    (A) classical music must compete with a wide range of other niche market recordings
    (B) physical space is needed for better-selling recordings
    (C) major orchestras have had a difficult time selling tickets to live performances
    (D) inventory costs of classical music recordings tend to be higher than those associated with popular music
    (E) recordings are displayed in a way that is disadvantageous to the consumer who is interested in a recording that is not a big seller

    I agree B can be answer but going by below content of passage

    Quote:
    Recordings of classical music are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile,
    This can mean that shops will contain only those music CD's which sale well and bring profit for the keeper.
    cant we say that classical music are competing with other niche market recordings in finding the space in shop.
    plz explain why A is wrong.
    There's nothing about other niche markets in the first paragraph. The other, better-selling items in retail stores could be intended for a broader, general audience. (Niche markets are, by definition, smaller and specialized.) We do, however, get the mention of the importance of shelf space. So we have textual evidence in support of B, but not A.

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Thanked by: conquistador
    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm
    Mechmeera wrote:
    One clear advantage of selling goods online is that smaller markets can be served without the seller needing to invest in heavy inventory costs. Recordings of classical music, for example, are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile, but the aficionado can now locate nearly any classical CD in print on the Internet. In addition, forward-thinking artists without national reputations have made their music available on personal sites or through services that provide the musicians a more generous share of profits than that offered by the large record labels. For some, this has resulted in increased sales volume, greater return on investment, greater control of product, and a more direct connection with an eager market base. Major orchestras and record labels have taken note, and have created Web sites where one can purchase individual tracks, full CDs, archival recordings, and even music exclusively made available for online downloads. Some symphony orchestras now include, with the price of admission to a concert, the right to download a recording of the concert afterward. Other services allow the listener unlimited streaming or downloading for a
    monthly fee.

    The question remains as to whether classical music will remain at the periphery of the online market, just as it is in the big retail chains. The short answer is most likely yes; classical music is now just one more niche market, albeit one with a particularly long and distinguished past. Cultural factors-most notably television-have been at work for some time now, creating a limited audience for music that requires sustained critical
    listening. However, the digital economy has ensured two important factors. First, for those with an interest, an impressively wide range of classical music will be available for some time to come. Second, motivated new artists can earn enough to continue to produce new recordings.

    It can be inferred from the passage that one factor that has led to the marginalizing of classical music in retail stores is that _______.
    (A) classical music must compete with a wide range of other niche market recordings
    (B) physical space is needed for better-selling recordings
    (C) major orchestras have had a difficult time selling tickets to live performances
    (D) inventory costs of classical music recordings tend to be higher than those associated with popular music
    (E) recordings are displayed in a way that is disadvantageous to the consumer who is interested in a recording that is not a big seller

    I agree B can be answer but going by below content of passage

    Quote:
    Recordings of classical music are increasingly hard to find at the larger music chains, where only a handful of recordings sell well enough to make the inventory costs and use of shelf space worthwhile,
    This can mean that shops will contain only those music CD's which sale well and bring profit for the keeper.
    cant we say that classical music are competing with other niche market recordings in finding the space in shop.
    plz explain why A is wrong.
    There's nothing about other niche markets in the first paragraph. The other, better-selling items in retail stores could be intended for a broader, general audience. (Niche markets are, by definition, smaller and specialized.) We do, however, get the mention of the importance of shelf space. So we have textual evidence in support of B, but not A.

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Anaira Mitch Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    26 Oct 2016
    Posted:
    183 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Thanked:
    3 times
    Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:27 am
    Hello David,
    please shed some light on below problems.

    It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes that _______.
    (A) classical music recordings available exclusively online are equal to
    those available in stores
    (B) the large music chains have not done enough to promote the sales of
    classical music recordings
    (C) the enjoyment of popular music does not necessitate long periods of
    intense listening
    (D) any classical musician who wishes to increase sales of his or her
    recordings should set up a personal Web site
    (E) the digital economy has had a mixed effect on classical music sales

    Which of the following is NOT an example of the effect that the digital economy
    has had on the selling of classical music, as described in the passage?
    (A) Consumers are able to purchase CDs that are unavailable in stores.
    (B) Artists find it easier to send promotional information to people who
    have expressed an interest in the artists’ music.
    (C) A major record label offers its new artists a greater share of profits than
    in the past.
    (D) Listeners download music without having to concern themselves with
    the cost of each download.
    (E) A new artist sells enough copies of a first CD to pay for the production of
    a second.

    Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 am
    Quote:
    It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes that _______.
    (A) classical music recordings available exclusively online are equal to
    those available in stores
    (B) the large music chains have not done enough to promote the sales of
    classical music recordings
    (C) the enjoyment of popular music does not necessitate long periods of
    intense listening
    (D) any classical musician who wishes to increase sales of his or her
    recordings should set up a personal Web site
    (E) the digital economy has had a mixed effect on classical music sales
    In the second paragraph, the author concludes that classical music will continue to occupy a position on the periphery of the digital music scene because many listeners lack the attention span to appreciate it: Cultural factors-most notably television-have been at work for some time now, creating a limited audience for music that requires sustained critical
    listening
    .
    We can infer from this that popular music, on the other hand, requires no such sustained attention to appreciate. This is captured in C

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Thanked by: Anaira Mitch
    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:14 am
    Quote:
    Which of the following is NOT an example of the effect that the digital economy
    has had on the selling of classical music, as described in the passage?
    (A) Consumers are able to purchase CDs that are unavailable in stores.
    (B) Artists find it easier to send promotional information to people who
    have expressed an interest in the artists’ music.
    (C) A major record label offers its new artists a greater share of profits than
    in the past.
    (D) Listeners download music without having to concern themselves with
    the cost of each download.
    (E) A new artist sells enough copies of a first CD to pay for the production of
    a second.
    The key line: Forward-thinking artists without national reputations have made their music available on personal sites or through services that provide the musicians a more generous share of profits than that offered by the large record labels.
    Personal sites or services offer the larger share of profits than major record labels. There's no evidence that the labels themselves are offering a larger share of profits to artists. The answer is C

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Thanked by: Anaira Mitch
    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Anaira Mitch Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    26 Oct 2016
    Posted:
    183 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Thanked:
    3 times
    Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm
    Thank You, David, for your valuable inputs. It was helpful.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 203 topics
    2 Roland2rule 65 topics
    3 lheiannie07 57 topics
    4 ardz24 44 topics
    5 lionsshare 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    157 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    98 posts
    4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

    Manhattan Review

    95 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    80 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts