This topic has 3 expert replies and 6 member replies
bonbossamazing Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
10 messages

OG2016 | Although Alice Walker published a number of essays,

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize - Both X and Y is correct. Hence this option is wrong.
    (B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
    (C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
    (D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
    (E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim. Both X and Y is correct. Hence this option is wrong.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    theCEO Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    363 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 am
    By removing all the unnecessary words we have...

The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize - Wrong. "Both" and "and" go together.
    (B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Wrong. The color purple bringing her.... Wrong verb tense.
    (C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Correct
    (D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim. Wrong. And which,... different meaning
    (E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim. Wrong. "Both" and "and" go together.

src_saurav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Posted:
    145 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:34 am
    What is the meaning of "Both" and "and" go together?

theCEO Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    363 messages
    Followed by:
    3 members
    Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:17 am
    src_saurav wrote:
    What is the meaning of "Both" and "and" go together?
    And should be used when you use both in a sentence and you list the options for example
    Both Tom and Jerry went to bed.
    Both Mary and Jane are sleeping.

The following sentences are incorrect.
    Both Tom as well as Jerry went to bed.
    Both Mary as well as Jerry went to bed.

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:46 am
    bonbossamazing wrote:
    Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
    (B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
    (C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
    (D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
    (E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim.
    A and E: both the National book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
    both X as well as Y is unidiomatic.
    The correct idiom is both X AND Y.
    Eliminate A and E.

B: her third novel, published in 1982, and bringing her the widest acclaim
    Here, published and bringing are ADJECTIVES modifying her third novel.
    What KIND of novel?
    A novel PUBLISHED in 1982 and BRINGING her the widest acclaim.
    Thus, her third novel (subject) lacks a verb.
    The result is an incomplete sentence.
    Eliminate B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
    D: her third novel was published in 1982, and which brought her the widest acclaim
    Here, her third novel and which are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    j_shreyans Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Posted:
    510 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 am
    Hi Mitch ,

Need to clear.

COMMA+VERBing modifier serves to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the nearest preceding action right?

so can we eliminate option B by using this rule? Because Bringing is not expressing a CONCURRENT action here right?

If I use this rule for option C , so how come winning , because wining is not a CONCURRENT here I guess.

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.

src_saurav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Posted:
    145 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:40 am
    Hi Shreyans,

If you check the option B ,there is only participle but no verb. The problem with this sentence is that it is missing verb.

for option C we have the verb in 'brought' which is modified by the last clause.

Hence,option c is correct.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 am
    Quote:
    COMMA+VERBing modifier serves to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the nearest preceding action right?

so can we eliminate option B by using this rule? Because Bringing is not expressing a CONCURRENT action here right?
    You're correct that B is wrong, but I think you may have misunderstood Mitch's point here. If I write, "I studied for the test, USING every available resource," the modifier "using" is taking place at the same time as the main verb "studied," so the subject was "using every available resource" in the past. In other words, the main verb is dictating the time frame of the modifier, so we don't have mismatched tenses. (Just think of how flexible VERBing words are in general. I can write "I am using" or "I was using" or "I will be using.")

Or consider this OA: Five fledgling sea eagles LEFT their nests in western Scotland this summer, BRINGING to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

The sentence is correct. The main verb, ”left,” simply tells us that “bringing to 34” happened in the past.

Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Thanked by: j_shreyans, pandamushroom
    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 am
    j_shreyans wrote:
    Hi Mitch ,

Need to clear.

If I use this rule for option C , so how come winning , because wining is not a CONCURRENT here I guess.

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.
    C: Her third novel brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
    Here, WINNING the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize took place when the novel BROUGHT the author acclaim.
    Thus, the VERBing action (winning) and the main action (brought) are concurrent.

In B, there is no main verb -- and thus no main action -- so the question of concurrence is irrelevant.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Thanked by: j_shreyans
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    154 messages
    Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    bonbossamazing wrote:

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
    (E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim.
    A and E: both the National book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
    both X as well as Y is unidiomatic.
    The correct idiom is both X AND Y.
    Eliminate A and E.

B: her third novel, published in 1982, and bringing her the widest acclaim
    Here, published and bringing are ADJECTIVES modifying her third novel.
    What KIND of novel?
    A novel PUBLISHED in 1982 and BRINGING her the widest acclaim.
    Thus, her third novel (subject) lacks a verb.
    The result is an incomplete sentence.
    Eliminate B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
    D: her third novel was published in 1982, and which brought her the widest acclaim
    Here, her third novel and which are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
    I understand you explanation of Choice D, but on OG, the explanation of Choice D is "The use fo which is inappropriate here; although it would still be rhetorically inferior to the correct answer (C), this version would be acceptable i fhte word which were deleted." If we delete the which, it will be "her third novel, The Color Purple, was published in 1982 and, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim." The sentence structure will be subject + modifier1 madifies subject + main verb1 + connection word (and)+ modifer2 modifies subject + main verb2 + object. Am I right? Do you think the structure is weird?

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 132 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 LUANDATO 54 topics
    4 Roland2rule 43 topics
    5 ardz24 40 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

133 posts
    2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

114 posts
    3 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

113 posts
    4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

109 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

72 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts