• Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

OG2016 | Although Alice Walker published a number of essays,

This topic has 3 expert replies and 6 member replies
bonbossamazing Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
25 Nov 2014
Posted:
10 messages

OG2016 | Although Alice Walker published a number of essays,

Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:08 am
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize - Both X and Y is correct. Hence this option is wrong.
(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim. Both X and Y is correct. Hence this option is wrong.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
theCEO Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
17 Oct 2010
Posted:
363 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
115
Post Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 am
By removing all the unnecessary words we have...

The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize - Wrong. "Both" and "and" go together.
(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Wrong. The color purple bringing her.... Wrong verb tense.
(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Correct
(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim. Wrong. And which,... different meaning
(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim. Wrong. "Both" and "and" go together.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
src_saurav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
15 Mar 2015
Posted:
145 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
2
Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:34 am
What is the meaning of "Both" and "and" go together?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
theCEO Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
17 Oct 2010
Posted:
363 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
115
Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:17 am
src_saurav wrote:
What is the meaning of "Both" and "and" go together?
And should be used when you use both in a sentence and you list the options for example
Both Tom and Jerry went to bed.
Both Mary and Jane are sleeping.

The following sentences are incorrect.
Both Tom as well as Jerry went to bed.
Both Mary as well as Jerry went to bed.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:46 am
bonbossamazing wrote:
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim.
A and E: both the National book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
both X as well as Y is unidiomatic.
The correct idiom is both X AND Y.
Eliminate A and E.

B: her third novel, published in 1982, and bringing her the widest acclaim
Here, published and bringing are ADJECTIVES modifying her third novel.
What KIND of novel?
A novel PUBLISHED in 1982 and BRINGING her the widest acclaim.
Thus, her third novel (subject) lacks a verb.
The result is an incomplete sentence.
Eliminate B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
D: her third novel was published in 1982, and which brought her the widest acclaim
Here, her third novel and which are not parallel forms.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
j_shreyans Legendary Member Default Avatar
Joined
07 Aug 2014
Posted:
510 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
3
Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:24 am
Hi Mitch ,

Need to clear.

COMMA+VERBing modifier serves to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the nearest preceding action right?

so can we eliminate option B by using this rule? Because Bringing is not expressing a CONCURRENT action here right?

If I use this rule for option C , so how come winning , because wining is not a CONCURRENT here I guess.

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
src_saurav Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Joined
15 Mar 2015
Posted:
145 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
2
Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:40 am
Hi Shreyans,

If you check the option B ,there is only participle but no verb. The problem with this sentence is that it is missing verb.

for option C we have the verb in 'brought' which is modified by the last clause.

Hence,option c is correct.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 am
Quote:
COMMA+VERBing modifier serves to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the nearest preceding action right?

so can we eliminate option B by using this rule? Because Bringing is not expressing a CONCURRENT action here right?
You're correct that B is wrong, but I think you may have misunderstood Mitch's point here. If I write, "I studied for the test, USING every available resource," the modifier "using" is taking place at the same time as the main verb "studied," so the subject was "using every available resource" in the past. In other words, the main verb is dictating the time frame of the modifier, so we don't have mismatched tenses. (Just think of how flexible VERBing words are in general. I can write "I am using" or "I was using" or "I will be using.")

Or consider this OA: Five fledgling sea eagles LEFT their nests in western Scotland this summer, BRINGING to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

The sentence is correct. The main verb, ”left,” simply tells us that “bringing to 34” happened in the past.

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: j_shreyans, pandamushroom
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 am
j_shreyans wrote:
Hi Mitch ,

Need to clear.

COMMA+VERBing modifier serves to express an action that is CONCURRENT with the nearest preceding action right?

so can we eliminate option B by using this rule? Because Bringing is not expressing a CONCURRENT action here right?

If I use this rule for option C , so how come winning , because wining is not a CONCURRENT here I guess.

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.
C: Her third novel brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize.
Here, WINNING the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize took place when the novel BROUGHT the author acclaim.
Thus, the VERBing action (winning) and the main action (brought) are concurrent.

In B, there is no main verb -- and thus no main action -- so the question of concurrence is irrelevant.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
GMAT Private Tutor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Thanked by: j_shreyans
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Crystal W Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
02 Mar 2016
Posted:
154 messages
Upvotes:
2
Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
bonbossamazing wrote:
Although Alice Walker published a number of essays, poetry collections, and stories during the 1970s, her third novel, The Color Purple, which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize.

(A) which was published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim in that it won both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
(B) published in 1982, bringing her the widest acclaim by winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(C) published in 1982, brought her the widest acclaim, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize
(D) was published in 1982 and which, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim
(E) was published in 1982, winning both the National Book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize, and bringing her the widest acclaim.
A and E: both the National book Award as well as the Pulitzer Prize
both X as well as Y is unidiomatic.
The correct idiom is both X AND Y.
Eliminate A and E.

B: her third novel, published in 1982, and bringing her the widest acclaim
Here, published and bringing are ADJECTIVES modifying her third novel.
What KIND of novel?
A novel PUBLISHED in 1982 and BRINGING her the widest acclaim.
Thus, her third novel (subject) lacks a verb.
The result is an incomplete sentence.
Eliminate B.

A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
D: her third novel was published in 1982, and which brought her the widest acclaim
Here, her third novel and which are not parallel forms.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
I understand you explanation of Choice D, but on OG, the explanation of Choice D is "The use fo which is inappropriate here; although it would still be rhetorically inferior to the correct answer (C), this version would be acceptable i fhte word which were deleted." If we delete the which, it will be "her third novel, The Color Purple, was published in 1982 and, winning both the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize, brought her the widest acclaim." The sentence structure will be subject + modifier1 madifies subject + main verb1 + connection word (and)+ modifer2 modifies subject + main verb2 + object. Am I right? Do you think the structure is weird?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 Roland2rule 181 topics
2 lheiannie07 110 topics
3 ardz24 56 topics
4 LUANDATO 55 topics
5 swerve 51 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

158 posts
2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

124 posts
3 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

123 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

111 posts
5 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

81 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts