OG: United States will be affected by whether Taiwan

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by chieftang » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm
edirik wrote:This is a GMATPREP question.

The United States will be affected by whether Taiwan develops a closer relationship with mainland China or preserves the status quo, since the island nation is the United States' seventh-largest trading partner.

A. The United States will be affected by whether Taiwan develops a closer relationship with mainland China or preserves the status quo

B. Whether or not Taiwan develops a closer relationship with mainland China or preserves the status quo affecting the United States

C. Whether or not Taiwan develops a closer relationship with mainland China or the status quo is preserved, it will affect the United States

D. It affects the United States whether Taiwan will develop a closer relationship with mainland China or preserves the status quo

E. It affects the United States whether or not Taiwan will develop a closer relationship with mainland China or preserve the status quo

[spoiler]OA: A[/spoiler]

My question:

I was so bold to think that Taiwan "will" develop relationship or Taiwan "preserves" the status quo with USA. That is why I thought that E would be better than A.

I thought that status quo would require "present tense" while developing the relations would require "future tense". Would someone please let me know what is wrong with my reasoning?
Immediately eliminate the "it affects" and "it will affect" choices. "It" can't refer to two different things (preseving status quo and developing a relationship). That leaves A and B. B makes absolutely no sense. A is the clear winner.

Now as to your question, "status quo" isn't a verb and does not have tense. So I'm not sure I understand the question. The verbs "develops" and "preserves" are in proper tense and balanced. A works.

Followed by:3 members

by amit2k9 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 am
Its a clean A here.
whether or not - is wrong idiom. Whether this or that ..correct form.

will ..or verb+s changes the parallel structure and the tense usage too.
D.E and B,C eliminated because of these reasons.
For Understanding Sustainability,Green Businesses and Social Entrepreneurship visit -https://aamthoughts.blocked/
(Featured Best Green Site Worldwide-https://bloggers.com/green/popular/page2)

Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:20 am
I want to ask this question to GMATGuruNY (Mitch Hunt)
Hope he reads and help out.
Is D also incorrect because of incorrect usage of expletive it?
Best