OG GMAT Quant Review 2nd ED.

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

OG GMAT Quant Review 2nd ED.

by camtip » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 pm
Hi everyone,

I have some troubles with my Quant score, I am not able to get higher than a 40.

I was wondering whether " OG Gmat Quant review 2nd ED" could help me to jump to a 45?

I use the Manhattan GMAT guides and the OG 12nd edition to work on the GMAT.

I have made several manhattan gmat CATs with the following results:

Manhattan Gmat CAT 1: 600 Q38 V33 (run out of time)
Manhattan Gmat CAT 2: 650 Q40 V38
Manhattan Gmat CAT 3: 660 Q40 V39

Any help welcomed :-D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

by alex.gellatly » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 pm
camtip wrote:Hi everyone,

I have some troubles with my Quant score, I am not able to get higher than a 40.

I was wondering whether " OG Gmat Quant review 2nd ED" could help me to jump to a 45?

I use the Manhattan GMAT guides and the OG 12nd edition to work on the GMAT.

I have made several manhattan gmat CATs with the following results:

Manhattan Gmat CAT 1: 600 Q38 V33 (run out of time)
Manhattan Gmat CAT 2: 650 Q40 V38
Manhattan Gmat CAT 3: 660 Q40 V39

Any help welcomed :-D
What I have noticed is that there are only a certain number of different types of questions on the GMAT. Before I took the test I was doing well on practice exams, but then I took the real test and bombed it. Since then I have been preparing again. The mistake I think I made the first time is I got a problem wrong and just ignored it. This is the WRONG approach.
What I do now is:
1. Do OG and GMAT prep questions only. Although MGMAT is good, it is not the real deal. Actually, I was doing very well on MGMAT exams, but the real stuff is different. Some people say that MGAMT is more difficult, but for me I found it easier.
2. If I get it wrong, take too much time, or am a little uncomfortable at all I post it on this site. I think copy and past it to a word doc.
3. I redo the problems after a few days.
4. Make flash cards with problems and key takeaways from the questions.
5. Drill drill drill.

I also redo GMAT prep 1 or 2 at least once (usually twice) a week. I know I might see the same questions again... but I wan't to be very comfortable with GMAT type questions. My latest GMAT prep score was a 760. Again, I know my score is not accurate...but it helps getting familiar with official GMAT questions.

Hope this helps.
A useful website I found that has every quant OG video explanation:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/useful-websi ... tml#475231

by camtip » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm
Thank you for your reply!

I use the MGMAT Guides for the concepts, and I use OG 12th ED for the problems. As you said,
no other stuff can be as accurate as OG questions.

The thing is that the amount of questions is limited.

Have you bought the OG Quant Review 2nd edition? If so, have you found it useful?

And I guess your target score is a 700+, so have this book helped you to improve your score?

Thank you a lot

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:16 members

by alex.gellatly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:05 pm
camtip wrote:Thank you for your reply!

I use the MGMAT Guides for the concepts, and I use OG 12th ED for the problems. As you said,
no other stuff can be as accurate as OG questions.

The thing is that the amount of questions is limited.

Have you bought the OG Quant Review 2nd edition? If so, have you found it useful?

And I guess your target score is a 700+, so have this book helped you to improve your score?

Thank you a lot
Yes, I have the OG Quant Review 2nd. I also have the verbal review. Those two books, plus the OG and GMAT Prep have a lot of problems, actually. In my opinion, it is not more problems we need, but rather we understand how to solve all of the official problems well. I think the key is to understand your mistakes, review past problems and drill concepts you continually have mistakes in. Again, I did poorly on my first attempt at the GMAT, but I felt rushed (I wanted to take it before the exam changed). Now I have a clear study plan and am sticking to it.

Hope this helps
A useful website I found that has every quant OG video explanation:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/useful-websi ... tml#475231

by camtip » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm
[/quote]Yes, I have the OG Quant Review 2nd. I also have the verbal review. Those two books, plus the OG and GMAT Prep have a lot of problems, actually. In my opinion, it is not more problems we need, but rather we understand how to solve all of the official problems well. I think the key is to understand your mistakes, review past problems and drill concepts you continually have mistakes in. Again, I did poorly on my first attempt at the GMAT, but I felt rushed (I wanted to take it before the exam changed). Now I have a clear study plan and am sticking to it.

Hope this helps[/quote]

It helps!

I have started to use www.gmatquantum.com as you recommended and I find it very useful to understand the concepts I missed