This topic has 4 expert replies and 7 member replies
Neilsheth2 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
65 messages

OG 16 Q80 Network computers

Post Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:01 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    80. Companies are relying more and more on networked computers for such critical tasks as inventory management, electronic funds transfer, and electronic data interchange, in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper.

(A) in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper

(B) where computers handle standard business transactions rather than on paper

(C) in which computers handle standard business transactions instead of on paper

(D) where standard business transactions are handled, not with paper, but instead via computer

(E) in which standard business transactions are being handled via computer, in place of on paper

The OA is A I need some help on the usage of Instead of vs Rather than . Is there any rule for these idioms?
    Also in which= where ? Is it okay to use ?

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:32 am
    Neilsheth2 wrote:
    80. Companies are relying more and more on networked computers for such critical tasks as inventory management, electronic funds transfer, and electronic data interchange, in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper.

(A) in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper

(C) in which computers handle standard business transactions instead of on paper

(D) where standard business transactions are handled, not with paper, but instead via computer

(E) in which standard business transactions are being handled via computer, in place of on paper

where must serve to refer to a PHYSICAL PLACE.
    In B and D, where cannot serve to refer to electronic data interchange.
    Eliminate B and D.

X instead of Y must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
    C: computers handle standard business transactions instead of on paper.
    Here, handle standard business transactions (verb + direct object) and on paper (modifier) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate C.

in place of is a PREPOSITION.
    A preposition must be followed by a NOUN serving as the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION.
    E: in place of on paper
    Here, on paper (modifier) cannot serve as the object of in place of.
    Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.

I discuss the difference between instead of and rather than in my second post here:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/someone-plz-explain-the-diff-b-w-rather-than-and-instead-of-t243049.html

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Neilsheth2 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
    Posted:
    65 messages
    Post Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 am
    Great Explanation !

Thank you so much.

thang Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    111 messages
    Test Date:
    May 2015
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:29 am
    it seems that gmat dose not test us to choose between instead of and rather than.
    look for another error when you see split between two words.

for fun, I tell you the difference which is instead of is a preposition and conjunction and rather than is only conjunction.

preposition can be used before a noun. instead of learning gmat, I learn english
    conjuction is used to connect two similar entities, two nouns, two clause, two verbs...

looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: usavictory47@gmail.com, call: 84904812758

Thanked by: aflaam
    Smartbank Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    1 messages
    Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    Neilsheth2 wrote:

where must serve to refer to a PHYSICAL PLACE.
    In B and D, where cannot serve to refer to electronic data interchange.
    Eliminate B and D.

X instead of Y must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
    C: computers handle standard business transactions instead of on paper.
    Here, handle standard business transactions (verb + direct object) and on paper (modifier) are not parallel forms.
    Eliminate C.

in place of is a PREPOSITION.
    A preposition must be followed by a NOUN serving as the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION.
    E: in place of on paper
    Here, on paper (modifier) cannot serve as the object of in place of.
    Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.

I discuss the difference between instead of and rather than in my second post here:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/someone-plz-explain-the-diff-b-w-rather-than-and-instead-of-t243049.html
    Hi GMATGuru, could you help me explain what does "in which..." modify in the OA? "in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper " I understand why "where" is wrong but couldn't understand how does "in which" work here? Thanks!

Post Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:24 am
    Smartbank wrote:
    Hi GMATGuru, could you help me explain what does "in which..." modify in the OA? "in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper " I understand why "where" is wrong but couldn't understand how does "in which" work here? Thanks!
    COMMA + PREPOSITION + which serves to refer to the nearest preceding noun.
    Companies are relying more and more on networked computers for such critical tasks as inventory management, electronic funds transfer, and electronic data interchange, in which standard business transactions are handled via computer rather than on paper.
    Here, which serves to refer to electronic data interchange (the nearest preceding noun).
    The phrase in which is an ADVERB serving to modify are handled.
    Conveyed meaning:
    Standard business transactions are handled in electronic data interchange.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.

Thanked by: Smartbank, rsarashi
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

Top Member

richachampion Legendary Member
    Posted:
    697 messages
    Followed by:
    25 members
    Test Date:
    ∞ →
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Most Responsive Member
    Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:42 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    l
    Can you please help me to understand the part in bold.

You mean to say that -
    in place = preposition phrase
    of on paper is also a prepositional phrase

Here prepositional phrase is modifying a prepositional phrase, Right? And this is a nonsensical as the object needs to be a noun for any prepositional phrase.

In A, C, and E what is "in which" modifying is it Critical Tasks?

Thanks

richacrunch2@gmail.com
    1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
    2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Post Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 am
    richachampion wrote:
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    l

You mean to say that -

Here prepositional phrase is modifying a prepositional phrase, Right? And this is a nonsensical as the object needs to be a noun for any prepositional phrase.p\
    in place of -- the entire three-word phrase -- functions as a preposition.
    This three-word phrase must be followed by a NOUN:
    in place of THE BOOK
    in place of THE TABLE
    in place of JOHN.

in place of may not be followed by another prepositional phrase (such as on paper).

Quote:

Thanks
    Please read through the entire thread before posting a question.
    In my second post above, I discuss the function of in which.
    If the explanation in the second post is unclear to you, please ask your question with respect to the second post.

Thanked by: Needgmat
    hardwork Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    9 messages
    Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:34 am
    [quote="GMATGuruNY"]
    richachampion wrote:
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    l

You mean to say that -

Here prepositional phrase is modifying a prepositional phrase, Right? And this is a nonsensical as the object needs to be a noun for any prepositional phrase.p\
    in place of -- the entire three-word phrase -- functions as a preposition.
    This three-word phrase must be followed by a NOUN:
    in place of THE BOOK
    in place of THE TABLE
    in place of JOHN.

in place of may not be followed by another prepositional phrase (such as on paper).

Quote:

Thanks
    Please read through the entire thread before posting a question.
    In my second post above, I discuss the function of in which.
    If the explanation in the second post is unclear to you, please ask your question with respect to the second post.[/quotP

Please help! If in place of is a preposition need a noun object, what about instead of? I think instead of is a preposition too. Why we just need to consider the parallelism? cold we delete this answer according to the same rule?

Another question please! Companies are relying more and more on networked computers (where computers handle standard business transactions )rather than on paper.Should we treat the where clause as a modifier, and then on network computers rather than on paper is parallel.
    Thanks a lot!

Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:58 am
    hardwork wrote:
    Please help! If in place of is a preposition need a noun object, what about instead of? I think instead of is a preposition too.
    instead of is a preposition and -- like in place of -- should be followed by a noun form.

Quote:
    Another question please! Companies are relying more and more on networked computers (where computers handle standard business transactions )rather than on paper.Should we treat the where clause as a modifier, and then on network computers rather than on paper is parallel.
    Thanks a lot!
    B: Companies are relying more and more on networked computers for such critical tasks as inventory management, electronic funds transfer, and electronic data interchange, where computers handle standard business transactions rather than on paper.
    Here, the portion in red is a NON-ESSENTIAL RELATIVE CLAUSE.
    A prepositional phrase in a non-essential relative clause cannot be parallel with a prepositional phrase in a main clause.
    Thus, on paper (a prepositional phrase in the non-essential relative where-clause) cannot be parallel with on networked computers (a prepositional phrase in the main clause).

Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Thanked by: hardwork
    Posted:
    9 messages
    Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:32 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    hardwork wrote:
    Please help! If in place of is a preposition need a noun object, what about instead of? I think instead of is a preposition too.
    instead of is a preposition and -- like in place of -- should be followed by a noun form.

Quote:
    Thanks a lot!
    B: Companies are relying more and more on networked computers for such critical tasks as inventory management, electronic funds transfer, and electronic data interchange, where computers handle standard business transactions rather than on paper.
    Here, the portion in red is a NON-ESSENTIAL MODIFIER.
    A prepositional phrase in a non-essential modifier cannot be parallel with a prepositional phrase in a main clause.
    Thus, on paper (a prepositional phrase in the non-essential where-clause) cannot be parallel with on networked computers (a prepositional phrase in the main clause).
    Thanks for your quick reply! Your answers inspire me to think deeper. If the part in non-essential modifier could not parallel to the part in main clause,what about answer D"where standard business transactions are handled, not with paper, but instead via computer "? the not...but...instruction is not parallel, because"not but with"is set off by a pair of commas while"but instead via computer"seems to in the main clause.Is my understanding right? OR It is comma for us to ignore parenthesis when we analyse the sentence. We could just ignore the "not with paper"and then the" not...but.."construction is incomplete?

When I see"instead of"as a comparison marker next time, I need not to consider about the parallel if the preposition is followed by a not-noun word? That seems to be a quick split to solve problem.Could you tell me what is the property of "rather than",it seems that "rather than"can connect lots element.

Thanks in advance!
    Best wishes!

Posted:
    9 messages
    Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 pm
    GMATGuruNY wrote:
    hardwork wrote:

Quote:
    Thanks a lot!
    Here, the portion in red is a NON-ESSENTIAL RELATIVE CLAUSE.
    A prepositional phrase in a non-essential relative clause cannot be parallel with a prepositional phrase in a main clause.
    Thus, on paper (a prepositional phrase in the non-essential relative where-clause) cannot be parallel with on networked computers (a prepositional phrase in the main clause).
    Thanks GMATGuruNY Sir! Could you answer the question that is in my above post?

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 111 topics
    2 ardz24 64 topics
    3 LUANDATO 62 topics
    4 swerve 60 topics
    5 AAPL 57 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
    2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

130 posts
    3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

122 posts
    4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

122 posts
    5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

118 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts