OG 12 Q2

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

OG 12 Q2

by vikram4689 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm
Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally under way, many economists say that without a large amount of
spending the recovery might not last.
(A) have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally
(B) raised hopes for there being a recovery finally
(C) had raised hopes for a recovery finally being
(D) has raised hopes that a recovery is finally
(E) raised hopes for a recovery finally

My question is related to MEANING only. I eliminated B & E as these options use "raised" and as per meaning PRESENT PERFECT should be used as hopes were raised in past and economists are talking about present
Last edited by vikram4689 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm
Although it is understood, please use the underline option for the questions which makes readers easily answer the problem.
vikram4689 wrote:Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally under way, many economists say that without a large amount of

My question is related to MEANING only. I eliminated B & E as these options use "raised" and as per meaning PRESENT PERFECT should be used as hopes were raised in past and economists are talking about present

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:30 am
Done, your turn to post answer !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am
Answer should be D

A surge is mentioned which insists to use "Has".
And the meaning goes that "something result" is mentioned in the present and so the "happening" should be present perfect.
vikram4689 wrote:Although a surge in retail sales have raised hopes that there is a recovery finally under way, many economists say that without a large amount of

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am
vikram4689 wrote:
The significance of present perfect is an action that started in the past and continues in the present or the action that started in the past has its effect at present. You are missing the "effect" part.

Refer MGMAT SC,the bible for GMAT SC, for detailed example and analysis on this.

One best example that I found in MGMAT SC to differentiate between simple past and present perfect.

The child has drawn a square in the sand. ( the square is still there in the sand )
The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean erased it. ( the current state of sand is not known)
The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean has erased it. ( the current state of sand is square free )

Hope this helps !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 am
avik.ch wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
The significance of present perfect is an action that started in the past and continues in the present or the action that started in the past has its effect at present. You are missing the "effect" part.

Refer MGMAT SC,the bible for GMAT SC, for detailed example and analysis on this.

One best example that I found in MGMAT SC to differentiate between simple past and present perfect.

The child has drawn a square in the sand. ( the square is still there in the sand )
The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean erased it. ( the current state of sand is not known)
The child drew a square in the sand, but the ocean has erased it. ( the current state of sand is square free )

Hope this helps !!
One more example for better Clarity,

I worked in WHO for 3 yrs.(Simple Past)
It means: I worked in WHO for 3 years, But not now.

I have worked in WHO for 3 years.(Present Perfect)
It means: I worked in WHO for 3 years, and I am still working there.
As mentioned by Avik in the Post , the "effect" is still there.

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm
Hi avik.ch & imskpwr,
Yeah i finalized P.P. for similar reason only but i think following didn't make it much clear
I eliminated B & E as these options use "raised" and as per meaning PRESENT PERFECT should be used as hopes were raised in past and economists are talking about present

I will explain my reasoning once again, do let me know your views
-> hopes were raised in past
-> many economists are saying that recovery might not last (since these economists are talking about recovery(in present) which is due to raised hopes, it implies that hopes are still raised and economists are talking about recovery due to these.)

by ArunangsuSahu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm
(d)

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 pm
ArunangsuSahu wrote:(d)
answers without reasoning are nothing but waste of time

Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm
The other thing you can use here (and I don't know why the explanation doesn't say this): answer E changes the tense. Now, we could write this sentence using present perfect or we could write it using past - both are okay. But they do mean two different things, obviously: present perfect means it's still true that the hopes are raised and simple past means it was just in the past. We're supposed to stick with the original meaning... so don't pick E.

Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me
Check complete reply at:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/surge-in-sales-t44543.html

one of the best post of her.

Hope this helps !!