Number of Practice tests

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Number of Practice tests

by wongee » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:30 pm
Hello all, I am in theprelim stages of GMAT prep, and would like to gauge the average number of CAT's someone takes prior to test day. Most of the posts mention scores from PR, MGMAT, OG, GMAT prep, etc. but if someone can give me a overall no. that woudl be very helpful. I am hoping to take the test in two months, around October and will be working full time during this time as well.

I know that I have to be super focused and so if you can respond NOW, that would help me get going, mentally! :-)

Thanks,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bates88 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:31 pm
I don't think it's quantity so much as quality. I mean, I would at least take 4, but what will matter more is how you learn from those tests. Carefully review your mistakes, and compare them to the mistakes you made while doing untimed practice, and revise your study plan as you go to attack your weaknesses. Just make sure you don't neglect so your strengths....they can become weaknesses if you don't practice them too!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

tests

by jsackmann » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:13 am
quality over quantity is definitely right.

I'm in the minority, but I have my students (except in rare cases) take exactly two: the two GMATPrep exams. All other practice exams aren't worth the large amount of time it takes to take them, recover from them, and review them, when you could be looking at fresh questions that are more relevant to you.

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by SigGolfer » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:48 am
I took six practice tests - the two GMATprep tests and four from MGMAT. I would recommend taking at least four tests. In my opinion, you should take a GMATprep test before you start studying. This will give you a baseline that you can base your progress/study habits off of. I would save the second GMATprep test for a couple of weeks before the actual GMAT. As for the other two tests, I would use them to work on timing and to get a feel for what the test will be like (i.e. stamina). If you are having problems with timing, like I was, I would definitely take more. Here is a more detailed breakdown of my practice test scores.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4900

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:17 pm
I also generally recommend three to four, though my students always want more. Don't just take a bunch of tests. Spend two to three weeks studying based on the results of one test before you even think about taking another!

Occasionally I'll have a student take one or two extra tests if s/he is REALLY struggling with pacing or stamina and just can't get it right.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Thank you all for your reponses.

by wongee » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:42 am
Just want to add that this site is just awesome!