Newbie Need Math Advice

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Newbie Need Math Advice

by Kasr2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:10 am
I have just started looking at the OG 11. My GMAT test is in 2 months. The RC, CR I have no problems with as I am a native english speaker, but the math portion really scares me. Im a very fast learner and would like to know what is the best book that actually teaches you the math concepts of the GMAT and has adequate math problems for practice. As of right now the OG 11 is all I have. I have 2 months to go but I am getting nervous. When I say Math is a weakness, I mean all areas of it.
Is the manhattan guide the way to go?

This question has prob been asked by others, so I do apologize if I'm repeating it again. I tried looking in the posts but did not find a great answer.

GMAT Instructor

by grockit_jake » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 am
The Manhattan guide is good, but a varied approach is probably best. If you are scared about math, I would review some sort of generalized book with examples and practice questions for each topic. This should give a good overview before you jump into questions and feel super lost.

After reviewing the multiple topics, you can then start taking practice tests, and maybe working with a tutor if you have specific topics of concern. If you feel totally lost, maybe basics review is necessary before taking practice tests.
Jake Becker
Academic Director
Grockit Test Prep
https://www.grockit.com

GMAT Instructor

by mjsobo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:58 pm
grockit_jake wrote:The Manhattan guide is good, but a varied approach is probably best. If you are scared about math, I would review some sort of generalized book with examples and practice questions for each topic. This should give a good overview before you jump into questions and feel super lost.

After reviewing the multiple topics, you can then start taking practice tests, and maybe working with a tutor if you have specific topics of concern. If you feel totally lost, maybe basics review is necessary before taking practice tests.
Hi,
For a good crash course in math, I suggest the Princeton Review "Cracking the GMAT" guide. It breaks down all the math subject areas very nicely and gives you key tricks and strategies (like how to approach the Data Sufficiency questions). You can get this guide used on eBay for not too much. Good luck!
Martin
GMAT Instructor with Grockit