New York Forests

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

New York Forests

by apoorva.rattan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 am
New York is known for its Adirondack Park, that still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where such forests house a number of endangered animal species.

A. that still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where
B. which still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees;
C. which still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, where.
D. where still expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and
E. where there are still expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where

OA after sometime.

I need help to decide which amongst A and E is wrong and why.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by vishugogo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 am
I A D and E....and usage is not required as there are no 2 things parallel.

between B and C

WHERE usage is incorrect in C.

So IMO OA is B

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm
apoorva.rattan wrote:New York is known for its Adirondack Park, that still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where such forests house a number of endangered animal species.

A. that still has expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where
E. where there are still expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees, and where

OA after sometime.

I need help to decide which amongst A and E is wrong and why.
I ll help you with eliminating A - 'that' is never followed after a comma. Note that the comma is not underlined.

Since we are talking about a location it is preferable to stick to 'where' which brings it down to D & E.
D's meaning is distorted as it is missing a verb (are)

I would go with E

OA plz

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:39 pm
i'd go with E. notice the parallelism in E - "where there are still....and where..."

by sparkles3144 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am
that... and where..
unparallel
eliminate

B is wrong. after ; there should be an independent clause. .
;such forests house a number of endangered animal species.
Does not make sense. Elimiate

C and D parallelism error

E is correct

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:55 pm
Not sure this is testing concepts that you'd see too frequently on the GMAT (that vs which), but the right answer is ugly in a way that correct answers on hard official SC questions usually are.

A is wrong because it has a nonessential relative clause beginning with "that"; the key distinction between "that" and "which", if there is one, is that "that" precedes relative clauses that CANNOT be removed from the sentence without dramatically altering the meaning and that "which" precedes relative clauses that CAN. As a result, "that" should not be separated from a noun it immediately modifies by a comma; "the dollar bill that I found is moldy" is fine, but "the dollar bill, that I found, is moldy" is NOT.

B is fine, sort of - a semicolon should indeed separate two independent clauses, and "such forests house a number of endangered species" is an independent clause. The issue with B is that the second independent clause isn't weighty enough to merit standing alone - it's really part of an extended modifier describing the park.

C has "trees, where forests", which is nonsense.

D is missing a verb in the phrase "where still expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees".

E is fine, sort of - "where such forests" is pretty fugly, but the meaning is clear.

Choosing between B and E, I'd follow the GMAT principle of "parallel construction is king" whenever it's possible to observe it, and pick E.

But neither sentence is great - the ideal fix would be something closer to "New York is famed for its Adirondack Park, which still contains not only expansive forests of deciduous and coniferous trees but also a number of endangered animal species." Of course, on harder SC questions, the GMAT never gives you the ideal sentence, but if you're writing something like this yourself, don't write like E!