• Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

Neuroscientists

This topic has 3 expert replies and 15 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
komal Legendary Member
Joined
01 Jan 2010
Posted:
777 messages
Followed by:
46 members
Thanked:
117 times
Target GMAT Score:
800

Neuroscientists

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain
    and its development from birth to adulthood, are
    now
    drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain
    grows and how babies acquire language.

    (A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about
    the brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood, are

    (8) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge about the brain and its development
    from birth to adulthood over the past twenty
    years, and are

    (C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge
    about the brain and its development from birth
    to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

    (D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the
    brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

    (E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past
    twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the
    brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood,

    OA A

    _________________
    https://www.e-gmat.com/

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    money9111 Legendary Member
    Joined
    19 Apr 2009
    Posted:
    2109 messages
    Followed by:
    77 members
    Thanked:
    109 times
    GMAT Score:
    640
    Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:11 pm
    IMO (A) because a lot of the choices just seemed redundant when read with the original sentence. Komal do you have an idea about what level this would be?

    _________________
    My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

    My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

    Me featured on Poets & Quants

    Free Book for MBA Applicants

    thephoenix Legendary Member
    Joined
    17 Nov 2009
    Posted:
    1560 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    137 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    750
    Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 pm
    komal wrote:
    Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain
    and its development from birth to adulthood, are
    now
    drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain
    grows and how babies acquire language.

    (A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about
    the brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood, are

    (8) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge about the brain and its development
    from birth to adulthood over the past twenty
    years, and are

    (C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge
    about the brain and its development from birth
    to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

    (D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the
    brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

    (E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past
    twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the
    brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood,

    OA A
    amng the given choices A is the best

    (B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge about the brain and its development
    from birth to adulthood over the past twenty
    years
    , and are...hiding the non essential part the s/c reads as Neuroscientists, and are--->and is not reqd

    (C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge
    about the brain and its development from birth
    to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are------> amsing is a pariciple phrase and the other verb are is simple present tense and hence not llell

    (D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the
    brain and its development from birth to adulthood,----------> no verb

    (E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past
    twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the
    brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood,--------->changes the inteded meaning

    thinkpanther Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    25 Feb 2009
    Posted:
    20 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    1 times
    GMAT Score:
    730
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 am
    'having' is used to when we deal with two activities -

    having + past participle shows that once activity has already occured (its in the past) and the second activity depends on the completion of the earlier action.

    This use is correct in Option A

    gmatmachoman Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    28 Jul 2008
    Posted:
    2326 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Thanked:
    173 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    740
    GMAT Score:
    710
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 am
    money9111 wrote:
    IMO (A) because a lot of the choices just seemed redundant when read with the original sentence. Komal do you have an idea about what level this would be?
    If we rate SC from a rating of 1-5, i feel it stands at 1.5 and not more than that!!

    bhumika.k.shah Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    27 Dec 2009
    Posted:
    941 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    20 times
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:43 am
    The only reason that made me opt for A which dint take more than 15 seconds was coz of Neuroscientists ,..., are

    I dont think there is anything else really required to be checked in this sentence.

    Thanked by: rockfeld
    akahuja143 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    20 Apr 2009
    Posted:
    182 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    1 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    700
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 am
    Haiving...is modifier modifying neuroscientis, weneed averb after the subject neuroscients A is only choice that has are..

    hrishi19884 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    29 Nov 2009
    Posted:
    407 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    20 times
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 am
    gmatmachoman wrote:
    money9111 wrote:
    IMO (A) because a lot of the choices just seemed redundant when read with the original sentence. Komal do you have an idea about what level this would be?
    If we rate SC from a rating of 1-5, i feel it stands at 1.5 and not more than that!!
    I agree to that as well.

    _________________
    Hrishi

    "As you sow, so shall you reap"

    hrishi19884 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    29 Nov 2009
    Posted:
    407 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    20 times
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 am
    thephoenix wrote:
    komal wrote:
    Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain
    and its development from birth to adulthood, are
    now
    drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain
    grows and how babies acquire language.

    (A) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about
    the brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood, are

    (8) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge about the brain and its development
    from birth to adulthood over the past twenty
    years, and are

    (C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge
    about the brain and its development from birth
    to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are

    (D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the
    brain and its development from birth to adulthood,

    (E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past
    twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the
    brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood,

    OA A
    amng the given choices A is the best

    (B) Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of
    knowledge about the brain and its development
    from birth to adulthood over the past twenty
    years
    , and are...hiding the non essential part the s/c reads as Neuroscientists, and are--->and is not reqd

    (C) Neuroscientists amassing a wealth of knowledge
    about the brain and its development from birth
    to adulthood over the past twenty years, and are------> amsing is a pariciple phrase and the other verb are is simple present tense and hence not llell

    (D) Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of
    knowledge over the past twenty years about the
    brain and its development from birth to adulthood,----------> no verb

    (E) Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past
    twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the
    brain and its development from birth to
    adulthood,--------->changes the inteded meaning
    Ahh, that's what the much need explanation. Good work brother!

    _________________
    Hrishi

    "As you sow, so shall you reap"

    komal Legendary Member
    Joined
    01 Jan 2010
    Posted:
    777 messages
    Followed by:
    46 members
    Thanked:
    117 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 pm
    money9111 wrote:
    IMO (A) because a lot of the choices just seemed redundant when read with the original sentence. Komal do you have an idea about what level this would be?

    600+ level question i would guess

    _________________
    https://www.e-gmat.com/

    mgmt_gmat Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    22 Dec 2008
    Posted:
    221 messages
    Thanked:
    2 times
    Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27 am
    IMO (A)..

    having shold be used here.. drawing conclusion because of past work

    Ritwik Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    01 Sep 2009
    Posted:
    14 messages
    Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 am
    Why D is wrong ? It has comma verbing construction.

    Optimus Prime Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    07 Mar 2010
    Posted:
    30 messages
    Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 am
    Ron, could you please explain what is wrong with D & E

    niksworth Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    14 Jun 2010
    Posted:
    520 messages
    Followed by:
    6 members
    Thanked:
    70 times
    Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 am
    Optimus Prime wrote:
    Ron, could you please explain what is wrong with D & E
    It is not Ron here but let me tell you what I think Smile

    Choice D -
    Neuroscientists have amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language. .

    1) The part in red is an independent clause. To make the blue part grammatical, you need a subject (they), a conjunction (and) and a linking verb (are) with main verb (drawing). (and they are now drawing...)

    2) Even then, there would be a slight shift in the meaning of the sentence. The main idea to be conveyed is that Neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about the human brain through the knowledge gained over the past 20 years. D, through its construction, places emphasis on amassing of knowledge by neuroscientists .

    Choice E -
    Neuroscientists have amassed, over the past twenty years, a wealth of knowledge about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

    Same two errors as in E.

    _________________
    scio me nihil scire

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    lunarpower GMAT Instructor
    Joined
    03 Mar 2008
    Posted:
    3380 messages
    Followed by:
    1469 members
    Thanked:
    2254 times
    GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 am
    Optimus Prime wrote:
    Ron, could you please explain what is wrong with D & E
    the big issue with those two choices is the same: the misuse of the COMMA -ING modifier.

    here's a brief rundown of the use of that modifier:
    http://www.beatthegmat.com/which-usage-t42599-15.html#183920

    the use of the modifier in this particular sentence does not conform to the rules laid out for COMMA -ING in that post -- i.e., the -ING action in these two choices is not simultaneous with, and is not a direct and inevitable consequence of, the action in the main clause. therefore, it's inappropriate to use this type of modifier.

    as for the words of the poster above me, i'm actually not sure whether it's possible to stick "now" between the comma and the -ing form in one of these modifiers. i know that it's not flat-out wrong to do this with adverbs in general -- for instance, it's easily possible to insert the word “thus” between the comma and the -ing form -- but, given the rather severe meaning-based restrictions above, i'm just not sure that it's possible to create a sentence in which that meaning would allow for the use of the word "now".
    i.e., when you use the word “now”, there is usually some sort of transition or difference indicated between the past and the present. in a sentence that is meant to highlight that sort of difference, it's extremely unlikely that you're going to be able to convey an action that is simultaneous with, or is a direct and inevitable result of, the first action -- that would seem to be self-contradictory. therefore, i think it's unlikely that you're going to see "comma + now + VERBing" a as a legitimate modifier.

    _________________
    Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

    --

    Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
    Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
    On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
    Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

    --

    Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

    Yves Saint-Laurent

    --

    Learn more about ron

    Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 61 topics
    3 Roland2rule 61 topics
    4 ardz24 40 topics
    5 VJesus12 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    160 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    102 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    99 posts
    4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

    Manhattan Review

    86 posts
    5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    80 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts