Negative Capability - Manhattan SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Negative Capability - Manhattan SC

by sparkles3144 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:18 pm
In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of "negative capability"-the idea that maintaining calmness amid uncertainty and doubt, rather than experiencing an anxious urge to find solutions, is a genuine talent and possibly even a therapeutic tool.

A. In recent years, scholars of psychology have begun to examine more seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats, of "negative capability"-the
B. Proposed first by John Keats, the notion of "negative capability," which scholars of psychology began to examine more seriously in recent years: this is the
C. The notion of "negative capability," which John Keats first proposed and scholars of psychology recently began to take more seriously-the
D. Proposed first by John Keats, and recently scholars of psychology began to take it more seriously, the notion of "negative capability" is the
E. First proposed by John Keats, scholars of psychology have recently begun to take the notion of "negative capability" more seriously; this is the

Answer is A
Why?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 pm
Hi sparkles3144,

When a sentence includes some commas, the primary grammar rule is likely to be either Modification or Parallelism. Here, it's modification - the modifying phrases need to be as close to what they're supposed to modify as possible.

1) Modifying definition: Although you didn't visually note it in the prompt, the underlined portion ends right before the definition of a term (the phrase "the idea that maintaining..." clearly defines what came immediately before it). We need an answer that places the proper term in from of its definition. In this case, we need the phrase "negative capability" to be as close to its definition as possible. Eliminate B, C and E.

2) Opening modifier: The opening phrase of the sentence, which is followed by a comma, should modify the phrase that comes next. Between the 2 remaining answers:

Answer A - "In recent years" correctly modifies something that "scholars of psychology" have been doing...
Answer D - "Proposed first by John Keats" modifies "and recently scholars....", which is incorrect.

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:16 am
though A seems better than rest ,i feel little wary about this construction in A : seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats,---->it seems as if any random notion was first proposed by John Keats

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:21 am
Hi aditya8062,

From a grammar standpoint, "modifiers" can come before or after the word/phrase that they modify.

In this SC, the phrase "to examine more seriously..." defines that the EXAMINATION is being taken more seriously.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:47 am
aditya8062 wrote:though A seems better than rest ,i feel little wary about this construction in A : seriously the notion, first proposed by John Keats,---->it seems as if any random notion was first proposed by John Keats
Scholars have begun to examine THE notion, first proposed by John Keats, of "negative capability."
Here, the presence of the definite article THE implies that a PARTICULAR notion is being discussed.
Because the non-essential modifier that follows -- first proposed by John Keats -- is quite short, a reasonable reader should have no trouble discerning the intended meaning:
Scholars have begun to examine the notion of "negative capability."
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3