Need to boost up score and practice

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Need to boost up score and practice

by prachi18oct » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 am
Hello,

I am preparing for my 2nd attempt this July. I have taken GMAT last year and scored a 640(Q49, V27) even though I scored always around 700 in my practice tests. Part of it was due to anxiety as I did not sleep at all the day before and also due to some other things.

I decided to start off again with my prep though a bit late(around March). I have given few tests and the scores have varied. But the main issue here is that I dont feel as geared up as I felt last time. While focussing more on verbal, I seem to have practiced less for Quants and that makes me quite less confident.
Also, I am taking up a lot of time with each question.

I know I need to practice more to overcome this. The question is what online resources can I use for more practice? I go through my follow feed at BTG everyday and solve the posted questions.
Apart from that I want to time a set of questions. I have access to the public library so if any book is good for more practice, please suggest.

For verbal, I have gone through the Manhattan strategy guides and also powerscore CR. I am practicing RC from LSAT passages as I have done the OG passages and remember the answers.
In my last attempt, I zoned out in verbal after 20-25 questions and was tired. So , this time I want to be sure that I practice the tests in similar conditions. FOr each practice test, I go to the library and pick a silent corner and then start the exam in similar conditions( although I use a laptop). I take 8 mins break in between the sections as prescribed and eat something in between.

I have 4 MGMAT tests left and I am planning to write exam between 20-30 July.
The MGMAT scores of my last test were Q46 V36 (680)
I am aiming 720. I have not taken a date yet. Should I take now? I feel somehow that since I dont have a date, my mind just keep lingering around and has less focus.

Please suggest.

by prachi18oct » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:38 am
I have not heard from any experts yet. Can someone pls advise?

Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 pm
Hi prachi18oct,

I'm curious to know more about the following:

1) How much time have you spent on quant?
2) What have your last few practice scores/breakdowns been?
3) Have you used any online resources already?

I know you asked for suggestions for additional online resources, but keep in mind that most of them offer free trials to let you experiment a bit, so take advantage of that. You've touched on this a bit already, but online resources are particularly helpful in equipping you with test taking strategies that will help your overall time management. Follow this link to try GMAT Tutor for 7 days, which is adaptive to your specific needs using the same technology you experienced on the GMAT in March: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW

Best,
Rich

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by canbtg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:51 am
Hi,

I am not an expert, but as a student I can throw couple of pointers -

1) Do not neglect your Quant. Since your previous score was 49 , you very well know what it took to score that . So, solving 700+ GMAT prep questions in the final month would be a good practice . Also, make sure you solve each of the questions in multiple ways ( at least 2 ) . You know the rest of the drill

2) For verbal do you have a strategy in place to handle Various sections ( RC/CR/SC) ? It is important ,imo , that you minimize what you read in verbal section. For example in CR , beside knowing how to tackle each question , you should know a way to eliminate at least 3 answer choices in ~ 20 sec and then focus more on the remaining two options . I have developed a strategy in CR and my accuracy has been 80-90% in official questions . I am trying to improve my RC by following similar method .
The test writers most of the time include convoluted verbiage to confuse test takers , the key is to eliminate these and concentrate on whats important . This way your brain has to process few tasks so you can beat off fatigue .

good luck with your exam .

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:09 am
To get back on track with quant you could use these two resources.

You could set up a BellCurves practice account, in their GMAT area. There are thousands of categorized quant questions there and the question bank is adaptive. So if you are getting right answers you will keep getting the hardest questions. Some of the questions are unconventional, but by doing some in each category, you can get back into playing the GMAT quant video game in a big way.

Another good source of online quant questions is the Veritas Question Bank. There are some nice verbal questions there too.

Also, to try another company's take on a practice test, you could take the free first Veritas practice test.

As far as "lingering around" goes, I bet if you get into practicing with those banks and seeing how many you can get right in a row, you will get more into preparing. I did that and found it all almost addicting. The more you treat the GMAT like a game, the easier it will be to keep at it.

Regarding anxiety and endurance, the truth is the test takes only about 3.5 hours and once you are into verbal, there's only about an hour left to go. So get used to telling yourself that there's not that much left, and when you are doing the verbal section just keep getting involved in the questions, making progress, and seeing how many right answers you can get!!!
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:57 pm
Hi prachi18oct,

From your original post, it sounds like there are a number of 'issues' that you're hinting at, but are not willing to properly address.

1) On your first GMAT, you say that anxiety and lack of sleep affected your performance. I absolutely agree that they probably did. You also make a vague reference to "some other things" - these are things that you CLEARLY think mattered (since you brought them up), but you didn't go to the trouble of defining them. There's no way to address these issues if we don't know what they are.

2) You say you always scored around 700 on your practice CATs, but what are the specifics - what were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on EACH CAT? Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Did you take your CATs at home? At the same time as your Official GMAT? Etc. The more that you deviate from what you'll face on Test Day, the more likely your scores are to be "inflated", so those scores might not have been realistic.

3) You're interested in online practice resources (and you should be), but then you list off all of the BOOK resources that you're using, including LSAT for RC (which is NOT a good idea).

4) You say that not having a Test Date keeps you from focusing (and I agree that is probably a factor), but then you have avoided scheduling your next GMAT. If having an Official Test Date will help you to better focus, then SCHEDULE THE TEST.

At this point, I think that you probably need to invest in some computer-based resources that will give you specific guidance through the Verbal section along with a set of Quant resources that will help you to keep those skills sharp.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by prachi18oct » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:10 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi prachi18oct,

From your original post, it sounds like there are a number of 'issues' that you're hinting at, but are not willing to properly address.

1) On your first GMAT, you say that anxiety and lack of sleep affected your performance. I absolutely agree that they probably did. You also make a vague reference to "some other things" - these are things that you CLEARLY think mattered (since you brought them up), but you didn't go to the trouble of defining them. There's no way to address these issues if we don't know what they are.

2) You say you always scored around 700 on your practice CATs, but what are the specifics - what were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on EACH CAT? Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Did you take your CATs at home? At the same time as your Official GMAT? Etc. The more that you deviate from what you'll face on Test Day, the more likely your scores are to be "inflated", so those scores might not have been realistic.

3) You're interested in online practice resources (and you should be), but then you list off all of the BOOK resources that you're using, including LSAT for RC (which is NOT a good idea).

4) You say that not having a Test Date keeps you from focusing (and I agree that is probably a factor), but then you have avoided scheduling your next GMAT. If having an Official Test Date will help you to better focus, then SCHEDULE THE TEST.

At this point, I think that you probably need to invest in some computer-based resources that will give you specific guidance through the Verbal section along with a set of Quant resources that will help you to keep those skills sharp.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding.
Here is my answers to your questions.

1) I mentioned "Other things" as I thought it would be diificult to explain here due. But I'll try now.
The day before test, I had only dinner and no other food( A traditional fast practiced in my country). This probably decreased my body sugar and hence I couldn't get a good sleep either. I felt very very tired abt midway during verbal. I was getting very long RCs and was loosing focus.

2)When I took GMATPrep tests, I have all the sections. Two of the CATs I gave at home but I gave 2+ in my coaching center.

3)If not LSAT RC, then which ones? I have exhausted OG material for RC and I heard the LSAT is the closest I can get to official material.

4) You are right. I am going to schedule the test in the last week of July so that I can get plenty of time to practice. I will get it done today.No more procastrination.

I have invested in a classroom coaching last year and have bought MGMAT test series last month. I would not like to spend more money so please suggest some free resources.

Thanks !

Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 am
Hi prachi18oct,

It's understandable that you don't necessarily want to spend even more funds on resources. However, take advantage of the free trials available through most online resources. You'll have the opportunity to play around with them a bit, and if you decide you like one, you'll feel far more comfortable with any additional costs. As Rich previously mentioned, your current study plan is very book heavy, so it might be worth considering some additional online resources to train yourself in some effective test-taking strategies.

Best,
Rich