Need opinion on my GMAT Preparation

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Need opinion on my GMAT Preparation

by ameya85 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:16 am
Dear BTG Experts,

I need your opinion/suggestion on my GMAT prep.

I have started my GMAT prep. since last 3 weeks. I am using Manhattan Guides and I am just done with Number Properties guide. As you might have observed, my pace is little too slow because of the work load. But I manage to pull about 2hrs every day and some 4-5 hours on weekend.

I am planning to study all Manhattan Guides. I am also solving the problem sets in these guides so that OG12 and Quant2 problems are also covered. I am taking notes of the mistakes that I am making and also noting down if I leanred something new from it.

I have bought Aristotle SC & RC books and Veritas Combinatorics & Probability book. I also have OG Companion book by GMAT Fix but not sure how much help will that be.

Now, the major question. I have not taken any full length test so far. I was thinking that unless I brush up my concepts taking diagnostic test will be of no help? If I make a mistake just because I haven't practices then I cannot conclude that I am weak at any particular section. Am I right here? I am sure you must have something to say on this to guide me. Should I take the GMAT Prep or any other test right now?

I am using Manhattan OG Archer to track the timings. Right now I average 88% on PS and 64% on DS with avg. time being 1:21 & 1:01 respectively. Any comments on this?

Apologies for writing such a long post, but I really need an expert opinion to make sure that I am on track.

Thanks,
Ameya

by ameya85 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:11 pm
Is there nobody who can guide me on this??

Ameya

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm
Personally, I think full-length tests are excellent practice, because you can practice pacing yourself to finish the test. Also, many test prep sources group their questions by topic; the real test mixes formats in each half of the test. You will know which things you got wrong because you haven't brushed up, and which ones you got wrong because you lack key strategies or understandings. Don't put off full tests too long.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 pm
Its better to take GMATPrep mock at the start of your preparation. Even if you make mistake with lack of practice and consider the topic to be your weak ones there is no problem in giving importance to it. Taking more tests will gradually help you to narrow down to your weak areas.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

by ameya85 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 am
@Jim: Thanks a ton for the reply. The point you made "You will know which things you got wrong because you haven't brushed up, and which ones you got wrong because you lack key strategies or understandings" was perfect and perhaps I was not able to see this. :)

Right! I am right-away taking first GMAT Prep in this week. Thank you very much for guiding through.

@Sam: I was thinking it is better not to waste valuable GMAT Prep questions when I am not prepared or when I haven't brushed up the concepts but point made my Jim makes sense and I am off to take the test. :) thanks for the help.

Ameya

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 am
responses inline:
ameya85 wrote:Dear BTG Experts,

I need your opinion/suggestion on my GMAT prep.

I have started my GMAT prep. since last 3 weeks. I am using Manhattan Guides and I am just done with Number Properties guide. As you might have observed, my pace is little too slow because of the work load. But I manage to pull about 2hrs every day and some 4-5 hours on weekend.
it sounds as though you're studying every single day. if so, then that's bad -- you should be sure to take at least 1 day per week completely away from studying, for reasons that i outlined at the beginning of this post:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/confused-how ... tml#366523

also, you mentioned that your current pace is "too slow". this comment may or may not be accurate, depending on when you plan to take your exam; you haven't indicated any sort of planned exam date in your post. if the exam date is far enough from now, or if it's indefinite, then "too slow" is not really an issue.

when you go through those guides, you should also realize two other things:
1/ you should prioritize the "general" sections over the "advanced" sections, regardless of your current performance level. (the "advanced" sections are relatively unimportant; they contain rare topics that we've seen in one or two official problems, but that we've just included for the sake of completeness. ALL of the major quantitative topics are in the "general" sections.)
2/ the guides are the first step of a two-step process. specifically, the guides are meant to give you the foundational content knowledge that you need to attack the official problems -- but the problems in the guides (with a few exceptions) are not meant to be like actual gmat problems. once you have the foundational knowledge (first step), you will then have to concentrate on strategy (second step) to be fully prepared to answer the official problems.
I am planning to study all Manhattan Guides. I am also solving the problem sets in these guides so that OG12 and Quant2 problems are also covered. I am taking notes of the mistakes that I am making and also noting down if I leanred something new from it.
this mostly sounds good.

for verbal problems, especially CR and RC, make sure that you concentrate on the GENERAL functionality of the problems you are looking at. you aren't going to be able to come up with specific "rules" for specific situations that you might encounter in these problem types; therefore, you should restrict your strategy to more general observations. (an example of such a general observation is "RC inference problems require me to select a choice that must be true, if the information in the passage is true.")
I have bought Aristotle SC & RC books and Veritas Combinatorics & Probability book. I also have OG Companion book by GMAT Fix but not sure how much help will that be.
i haven't seen any of these books.
Now, the major question. I have not taken any full length test so far. I was thinking that unless I brush up my concepts taking diagnostic test will be of no help? If I make a mistake just because I haven't practices then I cannot conclude that I am weak at any particular section. Am I right here? I am sure you must have something to say on this to guide me. Should I take the GMAT Prep or any other test right now?
you shouldn't go crazy, but it would help you to take one diagnostic exam. as another moderator pointed out above, you could get at least a rough idea of your broad strengths and weaknesses.
there's also really no other way for you to acquire practice in the unique rhythm of this test -- 37 math problems in a row! 41 verbal problems in a row! you don't really get that kind of thing when you do individual practice problems as "homework".

I am using Manhattan OG Archer to track the timings. Right now I average 88% on PS and 64% on DS with avg. time being 1:21 & 1:01 respectively. Any comments on this?
if you had disproportionate difficulty with data sufficiency problems, then it's likely that most of your problems do not lie in the actual mathematics in math problems.
the DS problems on the whole tend to involve more basic math than do the PS problems -- so, if the math itself were the issue, you would probably have performed better, not worse, on DS.

instead, there are two most likely reasons why your DS performance was substantially worse than your PS performance, if that was indeed the case:

1) THE QUESTION FORMAT ITSELF
this sounds strange, but many -- perhaps even a majority -- of students who have overall trouble with DS haven't mastered the format itself, even after months of preparation. in other words, these students still don't figure out a few basics about the DS problems BEFORE STARTING THEM, such as "what would be sufficient?" and "what would be insufficient?" as a result, they wind up more or less wandering through the problem without much of a concrete goal.
to make sure that you have these basics down, watch the first part of the APRIL 14, 2011, lecture at the following link:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

2) TRAP ANSWERS
here is what's probably the single most useful piece of advice that i can give on the whole test:
on DS problems, *NEVER* pick super-obvious-looking answers, unless you are 100.0000000% sure -- and even then, still doubt these answers!
if you can get yourself to do this -- i.e., if you can get yourself to resist the temptation of obvious-looking answers, even if you have to guess one of the more non-obvious-looking answers completely at random -- then you may be able to pick up 40-50 points just from doing this (without any actual improvement in math).
pay attention especially when "C" is the trap answer. IF "C" SEEMS LIKE A SUPER OBVIOUS ANSWER, IT WILL BE WRONG in about 99% of cases.
note the following examples, all from OG12 DS:
in every single one of these problems, it seems "obvious" that (C) will solve the problem -- and note that (C) is wrong in ALL of them.

that's a start.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by ameya85 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 am
Thanks a ton Ron!! I was eagerly waiting for you to reply and I must again appreciate that your analysis is truly exceptional. Especially DS part and trap answers. I just finished watching DS lecture and taking notes all along. After that I solved some 15 DS questions randomly picked from OG and I got 13 of them right!! I don't want to conclude anything out of this but one thing I can certainly say that asking 4 questions before starting with the DS question really made sense to me now. Really appreciate your guidance.

Thank you very much,
Ameya

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm
ameya85 wrote:Thanks a ton Ron!! I was eagerly waiting for you to reply and I must again appreciate that your analysis is truly exceptional. Especially DS part and trap answers. I just finished watching DS lecture and taking notes all along. After that I solved some 15 DS questions randomly picked from OG and I got 13 of them right!! I don't want to conclude anything out of this but one thing I can certainly say that asking 4 questions before starting with the DS question really made sense to me now. Really appreciate your guidance.

Thank you very much,
Ameya
glad to help.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron