Need Last minute tips

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need Last minute tips

by badri077 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:36 pm
Hi all,

I have my GMAT in a week's time. I need some last minute tips. Could you'll help me out here ?

1. Is it possible that I visit the testing center ahead of time (before 2-3 days) and familiarize myself with the surroundings, distance to rest room, parking ? I haven't tried calling the center yet..

2. Is there a recommended way to keep track of time for each question ? Stop watches are cumbersome to use.. Any fool proof strategies of keeping track of time efficiently. The counter is just one long counter for the entire session.

3. For my last week I'm just planning on
- revising OG 11ed entirely and focusing on problems I've had in the past
- flash cards
- Take 1-2 tests before the exam. (Not the day before though..)
- Read the AWA templates, sample essays
My weak areas are
- RC is time consuming
- SC is my weakest point
- Make careless mistakes in Q

I've been preparing for about 2.5 months now and have given about 6 tests(Manhattan GMAT and GMATPrep). Done all OG, review guide problems once and completed Manhattan GMAT SC guide.

Any tips ? Should I
1. Read Review guides also ?
2. Any tips for preparation the day before and the day of the exam (my exam is at 4:15 pm)
3. Any tips on what to do during the breaks in the exam ? I tend to zone out in the beginning of the verbal section..

Thanks!
-B

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thanks!

by badri077 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:09 pm
Thanks forgot about the wiki! ;)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:45 pm
You cannot bring a watch of any kind into the room with you - so you have to be able to keep track of your time mentally, with the limited help provided by the countdown on the screen.

You can absolutely drive over to the testing center and even go into the waiting room prior to test day. They won't let you into the test room, though.

The last few days, don't do much. Sleep well, eat well, do high-level review, don't take a practice test, etc. Just relax so you're well-rested for the test.

On the breaks, have something to eat and drink, go to the restroom, and do some stretches. Pretend you're an athlete between sets or quarters or whatever and just "shake it out" and get ready to go back in.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me