Need help to boost my score from 450.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help to boost my score from 450.

by rbabu.usa » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 pm
Hi All,

I took my GMAT test today.
Not devastated with my score of 450(Q39, V15) as it is inline with my Manhattan CAT exams and GMATPrep tests. I had to take this test to have an experience and better prepare for next one. This score reflects my preparation of 4-5 times per week for about 2-3 hours per session for 3 months. Below is the materials I read so far,

Since I'm not a native a English speaker, I went through "Foundations of GMAt Verbal" from Manhattan.
Manhattan SC
Manhattan CR
Kaplan OG 2015 for Math
GMAT OG 2015 for Verbal and Math

Goal score is 720+. I've 3 months to retake my next (and hopefully last) attempt. I need to plan this attempt very meticulously so that I cover the right resources be it video tutorials,forums,books, taking test every other week...etc Please point me in the right direction (resources,plan..etc) to achieve this target.

What are the best resources for GMAT Verbal, especially SC and RC?

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:35 pm
Hi rbabu.usa,

It sounds like you have the right overall attitude about this process. I'd like to know a bit more about your studies and your Official GMAT:

1) During your studies, how much focus did you put on Verbal studies?
2) Do you run out of time on any of the sections of the GMAT (or on your CATs?)?
3) If you do run out of time, how many questions do you have to rush through at the end just to finish?
4) Do you ever leave any questions unanswered (if so, then how many?)?

Using this 450 as a 'baseline' score, you're going to have to do a lot of work to score 720+. You appear to have used a "book-heavy" approach so far, which is probably not going to be enough to help you hit your goal score. As such, you should consider enrolling in a GMAT Course of some kind (Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rbabu.usa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:49 am
Hi Rich,

I went through instructor led training for like 9 classes(spread through 9 weeks) . During the test, I never felt any time pressure to skip questions, although I had to guess a few of the last questions in Quants/Verbal. Below are my responses to your question,

1) During your studies, how much focus did you put on Verbal studies? I didn't focus much on RC, but SC and CR I did from the OG and Kaplan series.
2) Do you run out of time on any of the sections of the GMAT (or on your CATs?)? last 2 questions I took a guess.
3) If you do run out of time, how many questions do you have to rush through at the end just to finish? I had to rush through last 3/4 questions.
4) Do you ever leave any questions unanswered (if so, then how many?)? -- None

Can you suggest me a good verbal plan of study for the next 12 weeks that would help me in my score? Online, there is a ton of resources to choose from, that sometimes is overwhelming. Any comments on https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... -students/ ?

Thanks,
Rajesh