need help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

need help

by abhisheksheoran » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:55 pm
I am looking out for help from you. I am a normal and average student. I am making mistakes in 1000 sc and Its like out of 5 options , I am able to split it into 3-2 set and then reduce my options to two. One is correct and other is wrong. I am making mistakes at this level when I have to pick between a correct (OA) and an incorrect one.
I have created a record of my questions that I did wrong on 1000SC and other GMAT study sources. Can you please help me and guide me how can I carry out analysis of my mistakes. And how can i improve my accuracy
I had taken GMAT one year back and I got a score of 530, only because of my poor English, I was totally demoralized and if again I get a score less than 700.I will be crushed. I have been preparing for GMAT since long time to make it into my dream college.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 am
My personal opinion- I suggest you buy MGMAT SC Guide. It is very helpful in teaching you the different concepts and question types. This will help you appreciate the analysis you have already made.

Take GMAT prep test to see where you stand before you take the actual one.
Wish you good luck
Prasanna

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm
I received a PM asking me to comment.

So, to start, get the Official Guide books. Especially for verbal, it's very important to ensure that you are studying from real questions.

Then, as Prasanna said, you're also going to need some GMAT-strategy books that teach you what you need to know for the question types and grammar. Research the different options out there and see what you think would be best for you, and then get something for SC, RC, and CR. SC is pretty different from the other two, but RC and CR are related in some ways (in terms of the techniques you would use), so I'd recommend getting your RC and CR materials from the same company.

If you haven't taken a practice test recently (within the past month), take one that gives you analysis data (so NOT GMATPrep at this point) - you want something that will tell you the time you spend per question, the category into which each question falls (eg: SC, modifiers and pronouns), and (ideally) the general difficulty level of the question. The first two are absolutely necessary; the third one is nice to have.

Use that to figure out your very specific strengths and weaknesses relative to timing, content (grammar rules), and analysis / comprehension (the different RC and CR question types), and technique (how you move through a problem for all three question types).

Then you can actually start attacking your weaknesses! Keep an error log. Every time you get something wrong (or you get right but you know that you got a little lucky and weren't really 100% sure), add a line to your error log. Write down: problem number and source (so you can look it up again), time spent, what you picked, and answers to the applicable questions from this group:
- WHY you got it wrong (not just that you got it wrong)
- why certain wrong answers are tempting / why people would pick them (even if you didn't)
- why those wrong answers are wrong, even though they're tempting
- why the right answer is right
- why someone might not pick the right answer (what would lead the person to think it was wrong when it was actually right?)
- (on ones you got right) why you weren't 100% sure - what was causing your doubt (and this will likely involve at least one wrong answer, in addition to the right answer)
- what you can do to recognize this same grammar issue (SC) or type of reasoning (CR, RC) in the future - for both right AND wrong answers
- how you are going to remember to be able to recognize in future (flash cards? review of these same problems in a few weeks to see whether you remember / recognize? looking for new problems within OG that test the same things so that you can draw connections between the problems? etc.)

Really concentrate on understanding why you are tempted by specific wrong answers and why those answers are wrong anyway. Grammar is all about POE (process of elimination) - find the four wrong answers and cross them off, and you're left with the right answer.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 pm
Thanks for the content loaded post Stacey. I should learn how to respond effectively from your posts :D
Wish you good luck
Prasanna

Learn more about me