Need help on Retake Strategy! Goal: Break 700 in June 2015

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

Need some advice. Took the official test after 5 weeks of study due to requirements of an MBA Prep Program I got into which required official scores by the commencement of the program (I knew this in advance just was a procrastinator - shame on me).

Here is my history:

Princeton 1/5/15 - 500 V34 Q26
MGMAT CAT 2/2/15 - 490 V32 Q26 (didn't finish half of quant)
MBA Prep 1 2/7/15 - 540 V31 Q33

Test Day 2/14/15 - 610 V38 Q35 (Received Enhanced Score Report which showed 96% in SC and 45% in RC which is like a weird nightmare as those numbers are usually reversed)

Needless to say I was in shock that I did as well as I did. I had no confidence whatsoever that I was getting above a 550.

Now I have signed up for a Manhattan GMAT full course and plan to retake in early June 2015. Is it possible to break 700 (720 is the score I really want)? I've read other posts that seem like it may be possible. I have some confidence now that I went up 110 points with self study using only 2 books (MGAMT Fundamental Math and Fundamental Verbal) and doing about 100 OG practice questions and reviewing the 3 exams I took. I also kept a mistake journal where I jotted down problems I was getting wrong.

However, I am worried about my low math. I want to purchase the MGMAT Advanced Quant and keep pace with that too but I heard you need a Q40 to begin it. Any advice on whether I can begin to use that or Kaplan 800? I am doing daily Fundamental Math Drills in the MGMAT website (all the drills in the book I finished already).

Also, thinking it will probably be A LOT harder to go from 610 to 720 than from 500 to 610? I'm assuming this based on the nature of the test?

I am EXTREMELY dedicated to making the next 3 months count (class starts March 2015 and Test Day is June 2015). Any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated!

Additional information: I also work full time at a Big 4 so I don't have a lot of free time. Trying to dedicate about 10-15 hours a week.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm
Hi GMATFrantic,

I'll answer your immediate question first - "yes", with the time that you have, it is possible to improve and hit your goal score. The issue right now is whether your Official Score is an accurate measure of your current abilities or if you 'lucked' into it a bit. I only bring this up because the Official Score is considerably higher than most of your practice CAT scores.

GMAC has publicly stated that your Official Score on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar potential "swing" in the Official practice CAT scores, your ability might actually be in the 570-ish "range" (the practice 540 would be about 30 points lower and the 610 would be about 30 points higher). If that's the case, then you have MORE work to do than you might immediately realize.

Since you're already signed up for a class, you should probably proceed as planned (unless something occurs during your studies that suggests otherwise). I do recommend that you take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT this weekend. That score should provide some evidence as to whether your 610 is genuine or "inflated."

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GMATFrantic » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:38 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your insight. I will take a full CAT this Sunday. My practice CATs were always started after 6pm at the office and my official GMAT appointment was at 8am. This might have made a difference as I generally am fresher in the morning. Nervous to find out on Sunday!

Thanks Again!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:09 am
In addition to Rich's sound advice, I'd suggest not worrying about that advanced quant book until you've thoroughly mastered the fundamentals. The instinct to want to tackle the hardest material is a very common one - almost all of my students want to grapple with the the most challenging questions they can find from the start. The thing to remember is that you'll only encounter multiple challenge questions if you correctly answer the simpler ones! (And every tutor on this site can vouch for the fact that jumping from a 600 score to a 700+ score takes some work, but is extremely doable.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course