Need help in selecting schools to apply

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need help in selecting schools to apply

by cipher17 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:05 am
Hi

How many schools should be ideally applied in one round ? I am giving a brief description of my profile. Could you help me in categorizing schools that would fall into the following criteria and also any other tips for the admission process:

- Stretch or dream schools
- Reach schools
- Safe bet schools

Nationality: Indian

GMAT Score: 760 (v 44/q 49)

Work Ex:
1. 5 years in IBM as an IT consultant, providing technology solutions to my client at&t.
2. Currently a team lead of 7 members.
3. Have almost 2 years of international experience i.e in US.
4. Have won 4 awards in 5 years.

Career Goals: Want to pursue a career in Consulting.

Undergraduate Degree: Mechanical Engineering in NIT Silchar, class of 2006

CPA : 8.5/10 i.e 8.5 in a scale of 10.

Leadership and Extra Curricular Activities:

1. Co founder of organization HOPES to educate underprivileged children during my college days. Unfortunately could not keep the organization alive after college days.

2. Currently a member of a similar organization .viz HELP.

3. Was the prefect in college hostel. Have organized events and provided internet facility in my hostel.

4. Was an NCC cadet.

I understand that I belong to an overrepresented pool of applicants and as such I am trying hard to find key points about my life and future goals which can help me in differentiating from rest of the pool. Any pointers in that regard would be highly appreciated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:24 pm
Hi, and thank you for your question.

It sounds to me like you are thinking very clearly about the challenges ahead of you, and about your strengths and weaknesses. Your academics and GMAT are certainly strengths, and it sounds like your work experience also demonstrates increased responsibility and leadership. You are from a well-known company that I think will generate some respect from the AdCom. In terms of weaknesses, yes you're from an over-represented demographic. Another one which you should think about in terms of positioning is your career goal. I'm not clear what kind of consulting you want to switch to, but be sure there's a clear logical flow from your past to your present to your future. Switching to technology consulting? That makes sense. To strategy consulting? That's much more competitive and more of a leap. If you go to our website and click on the store section, you can download a free copy of our Personal Statement Guide which will help explain how to craft a career statement that shows that logical flow.

Finally, I'm a bit unclear on this but it seems like your extracurricular activities were all in college? If they're more than 3-4 years old it's going to be hard to use them in an essay (maybe just one). On the other hand, it sounds like you have an instinct for leadership, and once you start really brainstorming you may find some other activities that you missed.

None of that answers your question does it? Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable suggesting schools for you based on the limited information I have. But I'll give it a try. I think the most competitive schools (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Columbia) may be out of reach given the demographic and lack of current extracurriculars (I'm going to assume you'll clarify the career goal by the time you apply). Chicago, Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Darden, Cornell, etc. will all be places where your candidacy will be taken seriously. Your GMAT really is stellar, and my suspicion is that your work experience is as well. So try for one or two of the top schools, then add in some of the next tier - as long as you can find more personal accomplishments to write about. (Also check out our blog post called Overrepresenting your Overrepresentation).

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

by cipher17 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:14 pm
Jessica

Your post was a great read with very good tips and pointers. Thank you so much :). Your insights make lot of sense and I guess I need to do lot of introspection to be very specific about my career goals and yes I have been involved in some other activities during my job years which I recall now.

Columbia is exactly where my heart is :) and I understand that it gets tough to accomplish my dream due to my demographic. However, I have visited Columbia and met with students who were also from my demographic. So it is actually possible to get an admit from these schools and what I am trying to figure out is how can I achieve that. I know it is tough to answer but I will accept any advice in this regard :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:04 pm
Thanks for the follow up. One key piece of advice I'll give you for Columbia is to apply early. If you want to go there, apply Early Decision - I believe they start accepting applications in July or August, and the deadline is usually the first week of October. It really sends them a strong message about your commitment to the school.

My second piece of advice about Columbia is to spend a lot of time really researching why it's a good fit for you. That is important to do for all schools but more important for some than for others, and Columbia is one where they place a lot of emphasis on the applicant articulating exactly why they want to go there and what they will contribute.

I hope that helps!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.

by cipher17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 pm
Thanks again Jessica...it does help :) ...but again your advice makes me ask you "how actually can a student contribute to the school society? Being a team lead I know how important it is to be a good team player but it is hard to articulate how specifically you can contribute by being a team player or in other ways.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:12 pm
You articulate it by citing specific clubs or programs on campus you would be involved in and what you would bring. Or by explaining how specific classes will help you on your quest to achieve your goal, and what differentiating perspective you offer those class discussions in return. You explain how various experiences in your past will help you play a specific role in study groups or class discussions. These are just some ideas. The point is to prove that you have done your research on the school and understand how you are a fit with the school.

But a couple of caveats - you do not just want to list classes or clubs from the website. All that does is prove to the school that you know how to read a website! Talk to students and alumni, visit if you can, discuss your observations about those interactions. Go beyond the surface that anyone with 15 minutes and a computer can figure out.

And finally, be sure to prove your assertions. Simply stating that you are a team player doesn't prove that you are. Giving examples of how you have played a key role on a team does.

Does that help more?
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

by cipher17 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 pm
Jessica

Yes it does help much more...these are the kind of questions that I am trying hard to find answers to. I will get down and start writing my essays and see how I can apply these wonderful tips. Thanks again :)