Need GMAT Prep Tips !

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need GMAT Prep Tips !

by asciijai » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 am
Hi,

I need to start my GMAT Prep as soon as possible and I need an expert opinion from all you guys on Beat the GMAT. Please suggest on how to start, to good books to refer,how many hours to put in everyday and where can i get good study material on the internet. Please help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm
Hey,

Why dont you start on the Self Study menu above? It will answer all the questions you asked for.

And you can also go thru I just beat the gmat forum to give yourself motivation and tips from successful ppl.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:50 am
asciijai wrote:Hi,

I need to start my GMAT Prep as soon as possible and I need an expert opinion from all you guys on Beat the GMAT. Please suggest on how to start, to good books to refer,how many hours to put in everyday and where can i get good study material on the internet. Please help.
Hello

Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea. Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:28 am
Good suggestions so far.

I'd also like to suggest taking an official practice test (the official practice test software can be downloaded at https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... n-software).

This will give you a good idea of your current abilities (you may already be scoring above your target score :-)) and it will help you gauge how long it might take to reach your target score.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by asciijai » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm
Thank you guys for such a great response. But how do I go about preparing for the Quantitative section ? Are vocab flash cards good enough ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by julia0345 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 pm
For Quantitative section you need books and flash cards..
For GMAT Preparation Tips:https://www.gmat-tutor.blocked
For IELTS Preparation Tips https://www.ielts-success.blocked
For English Language Tips
https://www.english-trainer.blocked