Need Advice

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Advice

by AziF » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:22 am
Hello,

I took the GMAT last week and scored 660 (38V, 42Q).
I finished my undergrad at Chapman University with a 3.45 GPA in Computer Information Systems.
I took PreCalc, Calculus, Statistics and Discrete Math with the following respective grades: B, B, A, B-.
I worked fulltime through college taking classes at night and completed in four years.

My background is in IT, I am a network administrator at a medium sized firm (about 40 people). However, I have been involved in many projects. I've led two committees on internal policies and procedures and new employee training. I've managed the transition from a paper-intensive firm to paperless firm. Started career as a PC Technician and now manage all aspects of information technology for my present employer.

I want to go to Georgetown for MBA and eventually get in to top IT management after a few years of consulting.

What would you say are my chances for Georgetown? Should I retake the GMAT, or address the low quant in optional essay? I did not have an extra curricular during college because I was working fulltime.

Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 pm
Hi AziF,

Your main challenge will be to draw out those leadership and management experiences from your work background. Without extracurriculars, it's difficult to demonstrate that you are a leader. If you have the time, it would be worth volunteering or getting involved with something outside of work.

Your academics are OK, but could be better. It looks like quant is not an issue for you, but it makes me wonder about the verbal/qualitative side of your education. If you do have the time to re-take the GMAT it can't hurt, and does show persistence.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting