Need a strategy to tackle verbal (AGAIN) - 650 (49,30)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi All,

I took my GMAT 2 days back and got miserable 650 (49q, 30v) and there is no way i can make it to top bschool with this score. Therefore, i am left with no option but to retake the exam.

During my past preparation - I did OG 10, 11 (twice), SC MGMAT (thrice), Spidey n other notes, flash cards etc (twice). However, even during my practice session, my verbal score moved in the range of 31 to 35.

My test experience - I was not able to manage my time well, hence paniced and resulting in miserable performance

But I have decided not to give up my dream and take a shot again (Coz its worth it)

I have roughly three months in my hand to make a minimum 10 point improvement in verbal score i.e. from ~30 to ~40

I need some help here, coz personally i think pumping up this score rquires a lot more than just solving SC, RC and CR questions on a daily basis. I need to work on my fundamentals and my comfort level with the language. May be reading X newspaper everyday, X books or Z types of articles.

Guys ill really really appreciate, if you could help me out with some suggestions here

Thanks,
SM

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:14 members
GMAT Score:750

by CappyAA » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 am
I think you're on the right track by realizing you need a system for everything. I came to that realization a couple weeks ago when my verbal wasn't going up.

3 resources I recommend - CR Bible, SC Bible, Manhattan GMAT SC Book

All 3 are fantastic, and you get a standard way to solve CR and SC questions. I have improved by leaps and bounds over the past couple weeks in these areas.

RC is a different story. You just have to keep doing passages and find what works best for you.

Good luck!
Taking the GMAT Again...PhD this time!

October 2008 Score: GMAT - 750 (50 Q, 41 V) :D

Manhattan GMAT 1 - 11/20/11 - 750 (50 Q, 42 V)
Manhattan GMAT 2 - 12/3/11 - 780 (51 Q, 45 V)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by surajsagi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:28 am
Hi thanks a lot for the tips

I have a MGMAT SC with me. And a soft copy of CR Bible (But i am not sure if its the same book)

Can you me, from where i can download/access these files

Thanks a ton
SM