Native English speaker's score vs non native's.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi folks , I have heard that Business schools normally evaluate the same score of native versus non native speaker differently , like 700 from non native weights more than 700 for native.

Is this true ?

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:19 am
i have never heard this, and i highly doubt it this is the case. schools generally look to the GMAT as an indicator of how well you would fare in your b-school academics. they don't care if you are a native speaker or non native speaker - as long as you prove you can do the work.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

GMAT Score:760

by cbenk121 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm
Giorgio wrote:Hi folks , I have heard that Business schools normally evaluate the same score of native versus non native speaker differently , like 700 from non native weights more than 700 for native.

Is this true ?
Well, as much as this may indicate a higher level of achievement, I agree with shadow that this is probably not the case. By deciding to go to an American business school, you (or other non-native speakers) decided to take on the extra work of improving your English.

To give non-native speakers extra consideration is unfair. For example, using the same reasoning, I could argue that my grammar background sucked, so my V score should be weighted more than some other applicant who had an excellent grammar educational background yet achieved the same V score as I did. Furthermore, I was an engineer, and my courses pretty much involved zero critical reasoning, so my V score should be weighted more than a liberal arts applicant who had more practice with critical reasoning in his or her coursework and got the same V score as me. Likewise, someone could argue he or she was a liberal arts major, and thus didn't get the math practice I did, so his or her GMAT Q score should be weighted more than mine if we scored the same.

That's why it's a standardized test - a way to compare all candidates in the most fair way possible. If a candidate wishes to improve his or her GMAT score, it's up to him or her to work on those areas in which he or she is weak :).