My Exam Preparation Log (formerly Just Starting Out...)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:780

by 800_or_bust » Sat May 21, 2016 10:33 am
Well, I decided to take GMAT Prep Exam #1 today instead of tomorrow. And it went surprisingly well. The official GMAT practice exam seemed much easier than the non-GMAC practice exams I have taken. And pretty much confirmed the result of the 800score.com exam. The quant seemed surprisingly easy - breezed through most of it. Same with verbal. I even managed an 8 on IR with no preparation at all. Is this really what the actual GMAT is like? Maybe I've given myself way too much prep time, and should consider bumping my test date up?
Attachments
GMAT Prep 1 Score.png
800 or bust!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat May 21, 2016 10:57 am
800_or_bust wrote:Well, I decided to take GMAT Prep Exam #1 today instead of tomorrow. And it went surprisingly well. The official GMAT practice exam seemed much easier than the non-GMAC practice exams I have taken. And pretty much confirmed the result of the 800score.com exam. The quant seemed surprisingly easy - breezed through most of it. Same with verbal. I even managed an 8 on IR with no preparation at all. Is this really what the actual GMAT is like? Maybe I've given myself way too much prep time, and should consider bumping my test date up?
Obviously everyone is different, but having had a student recently who was scoring very similarly on his Veritas practice tests to how you've been scoring (and similarly on his official practice tests to how you've been scoring) I say go for it if there are dates open. (This student ended up with a 770 on test day.) I'd be very surprised if you see a result that isn't 750+.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat May 21, 2016 12:48 pm
800_or_bust wrote:I was going to take the full exam with the essay and IR, but I decided against it. I know Rich and some others are big on getting the full experience, but I haven't even touched the essay or IR yet. So it seems like a waste of time. I'm a really good essayist, so I assume that won't be any problem.
When you do get around to working on the essay, look up the templates that are out there. Basically you are looking to write maybe five paragraphs, and the templates tend to define what the paragraphs will do. Essentially you prepare to write pretty much the same essay no matter what the essay prompt is.

I found that a key move was getting good at identifying or coming up with three flaws in the prompt so that I would have three things to discuss.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by 800_or_bust » Mon May 23, 2016 1:55 pm
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
800_or_bust wrote:Well, I decided to take GMAT Prep Exam #1 today instead of tomorrow. And it went surprisingly well. The official GMAT practice exam seemed much easier than the non-GMAC practice exams I have taken. And pretty much confirmed the result of the 800score.com exam. The quant seemed surprisingly easy - breezed through most of it. Same with verbal. I even managed an 8 on IR with no preparation at all. Is this really what the actual GMAT is like? Maybe I've given myself way too much prep time, and should consider bumping my test date up?
Obviously everyone is different, but having had a student recently who was scoring very similarly on his Veritas practice tests to how you've been scoring (and similarly on his official practice tests to how you've been scoring) I say go for it if there are dates open. (This student ended up with a 770 on test day.) I'd be very surprised if you see a result that isn't 750+.
Thought I had posted a reply earlier, but I guess I failed to hit submit. I just wanted to say for me, personally, I have a tendency to underperform on test day based on my performance on other standardized tests. I mean, don't get me wrong, I usually score very high notwithstanding - I just mean relative to my performance on official practice exams. So I won't feel really comfortable until I hit 800 a couple times.

Also I'm having surgery later this summer, so I deliberately scheduled it far in advance so I'd be completely healed by test day. I suppose I could move it up prior to that, but I've got a lot of other things going on this summer as well. I suppose I could give it another 3, 4 weeks of intensive studies and see where I'm at then.

I'd like to scout out the test center prior to test day so I know exactly where it's at and also to have a better idea of the temperature, noise level, layout, etc. Would the Pearson folks mind if I stopped in a couple weeks before the test? I just don't want any unexpected surprises, i.e. a thermostat set on 65 when I'm in shorts & a t-shirt. I know the last standardized test I took, the first go-around was at a local college during the wintertime. Apparently, they either shut off the heat completely or turned it way down to save energy over the weekend. It was at most 60 degrees in there.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 am
800_or_bust wrote:
Thought I had posted a reply earlier, but I guess I failed to hit submit. I just wanted to say for me, personally, I have a tendency to underperform on test day based on my performance on other standardized tests. I mean, don't get me wrong, I usually score very high notwithstanding - I just mean relative to my performance on official practice exams. So I won't feel really comfortable until I hit 800 a couple times.

Also I'm having surgery later this summer, so I deliberately scheduled it far in advance so I'd be completely healed by test day. I suppose I could move it up prior to that, but I've got a lot of other things going on this summer as well. I suppose I could give it another 3, 4 weeks of intensive studies and see where I'm at then.

I'd like to scout out the test center prior to test day so I know exactly where it's at and also to have a better idea of the temperature, noise level, layout, etc. Would the Pearson folks mind if I stopped in a couple weeks before the test? I just don't want any unexpected surprises, i.e. a thermostat set on 65 when I'm in shorts & a t-shirt. I know the last standardized test I took, the first go-around was at a local college during the wintertime. Apparently, they either shut off the heat completely or turned it way down to save energy over the weekend. It was at most 60 degrees in there.
A perfectly reasonable plan to wait until after your surgery. Just know that the question of when you take the test is a fairly low-stakes decision - you can always take the test once pre-surgery. If you hit your target, you're done. If you don't, you can cancel your score and retake post-surgery. So the main thing is to have a schedule you're comfortable with.

As for whether you can drop in before you're scheduled to take the test, I'd suggest giving your testing center a call. My guess is that the policy is left to the discretion of the folks manning a particular center.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Tue May 24, 2016 6:31 am
800_or_bust wrote:Also I'm having surgery later this summer, so I deliberately scheduled it far in advance so I'd be completely healed by test day.
Hope you're not getting scammed. A huge percentage of surgery does not make sense. Back surgery, for instance, has been found at least by one guy or study to be around 90% unnecessary.

I had a guy look at me for a few minutes and prescribe surgery that I probably didn't need and the results of which have been plaguing me ever since.

The father of a guy I know used to do radiology at a "top" hospital in New York. Doctors would put pressure on him to "see something" in the images.

Surgery is how surgeons make their house payments, and while they get through medical school, they are not all necessarily all that bright, or ethical.

So be aware.
I'd like to scout out the test center prior to test day so I know exactly where it's at and also to have a better idea of the temperature, noise level, layout, etc. Would the Pearson folks mind if I stopped in a couple weeks before the test? I just don't want any unexpected surprises, i.e. a thermostat set on 65 when I'm in shorts & a t-shirt.
I am pretty sure that if you were to show up and say "Hi" and ask a few questions they would be fine with your doing that.
Thought I had posted a reply earlier, but I guess I failed to hit submit. I just wanted to say for me, personally, I have a tendency to underperform on test day based on my performance on other standardized tests.
Maybe you can to one degree or another figure out why that happens and seek to address it. Maybe some kind of meditation practice would help.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue May 24, 2016 6:44 am
One last thing I'll add - I recently found this neat article summarizing some research about easy hacks to incorporate on test day to boost performance: https://creatingpositivefutures.com/3-re ... t-anxiety/

Veritas Prep Reviews

by 800_or_bust » Fri May 27, 2016 3:19 pm
Quick question for you... Are the Veritas Prep exams typically more difficult than the actual GMAT - at least for Quant? I just took the Quant portion of Exam 5 - holy cow! My brain hurts after that... Brutal. I managed a 49Q, which was the highest I've gotten on a Veritas Prep exam. Previous high was 47Q on 4/24. This was crazy though - I don't even know how I managed to score a 49... Ran out of time for the last 5 questions, and only got 20 of the 32 that I had answered correct. I think I was wasting too much time trying to hack away at answers, but I can't believe the score was as high as it was.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat May 28, 2016 7:26 am
800_or_bust wrote:
Quick question for you... Are the Veritas Prep exams typically more difficult than the actual GMAT - at least for Quant? I just took the Quant portion of Exam 5 - holy cow! My brain hurts after that... Brutal. I managed a 49Q, which was the highest I've gotten on a Veritas Prep exam. Previous high was 47Q on 4/24. This was crazy though - I don't even know how I managed to score a 49... Ran out of time for the last 5 questions, and only got 20 of the 32 that I had answered correct. I think I was wasting too much time trying to hack away at answers, but I can't believe the score was as high as it was.
You're not the first person to have that reaction. On average, it seems as though when my students are hitting 49-51 on the official practice tests, they're closer to 46-49 on our tests. Worth reviewing what you missed/spent too much time on, but if you're consistently 50+ on the official tests, you should feel confident that your quant is where you want it to be.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by 800_or_bust » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:43 am
Definitely going to bump my test date up, probably reschedule for early July. Took GMAT Prep Exam #2 for the first time Sunday and got a 770 (50Q/47V). Was kind of disappointed with the verbal score - I only missed one question, and still only managed a scaled score of 47. Not sure why - it was a difficult SC question around #22 or 23. So you would think I would have gotten at least a 50. Still want to give myself enough time to get up to an 800 level. Only way to guarantee an 800 is to never miss, and I'm still not there yet.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:58 pm
800_or_bust wrote:Definitely going to bump my test date up, probably reschedule for early July. Took GMAT Prep Exam #2 for the first time Sunday and got a 770 (50Q/47V). Was kind of disappointed with the verbal score - I only missed one question, and still only managed a scaled score of 47. Not sure why - it was a difficult SC question around #22 or 23. So you would think I would have gotten at least a 50. Still want to give myself enough time to get up to an 800 level. Only way to guarantee an 800 is to never miss, and I'm still not there yet.
I am surprised that one verbal question missed took you down to V47. I scored V50 once on the real thing. So I must have missed at least one, and yet I didn't get dinged that hard.

You have to be soooo careful and determined in order to get all of the verbal questions right. I found that slacking off even a little was doom.

Go over your quant section and figure out what tripped you up and make sure you know how to do those kinds of questions forwards, backwards and upside down.

Once you have covered everything, Q51 is not such a big deal. You just have to get good at handling every type of quant question. Then to get V51 you have to be in the zone.

One thing I noticed in CR recently is that sometimes the right answer is not such a great answer. I mean some CR questions are way cool, and some are kind of stupid, and the stupid ones can be the ones that trip you up. The right answer is the one that somehow makes some kind of stupid sense, and the other answers can be eliminated somehow. LOL. So maybe that insight will help you too.

SC can be a bit of an art. You have to be so perceptive to get some of the most difficult ones right.The last time I took the test, I almost blew scoring 800 by choosing the wrong answer to a SC question, and then somehow I noticed that my answer was not the best one and changed it to the right one.

I think there is an element of being something along the lines of psychic, and also if you unconsciously want to sabotage your score you just might. Apparently I had decided on both a conscious level and an unconscious level to score 800 that time.

You might get some ideas from this. https://healingchronicles.com/2014/01/0 ... n-to-heal/
Last edited by MartyMurray on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by 800_or_bust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:38 am
Marty Murray wrote:
800_or_bust wrote:Definitely going to bump my test date up, probably reschedule for early July. Took GMAT Prep Exam #2 for the first time Sunday and got a 770 (50Q/47V). Was kind of disappointed with the verbal score - I only missed one question, and still only managed a scaled score of 47. Not sure why - it was a difficult SC question around #22 or 23. So you would think I would have gotten at least a 50. Still want to give myself enough time to get up to an 800 level. Only way to guarantee an 800 is to never miss, and I'm still not there yet.
You can miss a quant question or two and still score 800, but maybe you have to get all of the verbal questions right.

I am surprised that one verbal question missed took you down to V47. I scored V50 once on the real thing. So I must have missed at least one, and yet I didn't get dinged that hard.

You have to be soooo careful and determined in order to get all of the verbal questions right. I found that slacking off even a little was doom.

Go over your quant section and figure out what tripped you up and make sure you know how to do those kinds of questions forwards, backwards and upside down. That BellCurves question bank could help you with doing that.

Once you have covered everything, Q51 is not such a big deal. You just have to get good at handling every type of quant question. Then to get V51 you have to be in the zone.

One thing I noticed in CR recently is that sometimes the right answer is not such a great answer. I mean some CR questions are way cool, and some are kind of stupid, and the stupid ones can be the ones that trip you up. The right answer is the one that somehow makes some kind of stupid sense, and the other answers can be eliminated somehow. LOL. So maybe that insight will help you too.

SC can be a bit of an art. You have to be so perceptive to get some of the most difficult ones right.The last time I took the test, I almost blew scoring 800 by choosing the wrong answer to a SC question, and then somehow I noticed that my answer was not the best one and changed it to the right one.

I think there is an element of being something along the lines of psychic, and also if you unconsciously want to sabotage your score you just might. Apparently I had decided on both a conscious level and an unconscious level to score 800 that time.

You might get some ideas from this. https://healingchronicles.com/2014/01/0 ... n-to-heal/
Thanks for all the advice! I took a look at the verbal question I had missed, and really it was one I should have gotten correct. I chose an answer choice with a plural demonstrative pronoun, but the noun it was replacing was singular. I had gotten confused, because there was a modifying phrase which contained a plural noun and the demonstrative pronoun was likewise modified by a phrase containing a plural noun. In my head, the plural demonstrative pronoun sounded appropriate but grammatically it was 100% incorrect.

And yeah, I see debriefings on the web of folks who scored V48, 49 or 50. So clearly it is possible to achieve any one of those scores. Makes me wonder if the GMAT Prep Exams just don't have a large enough database of the very hardest verbal questions in order to differentiate above a 47, and hence the large ding for just a single miss. You would think, in theory, the way I missed would be the best from the CAT's scoring perspective - rattled off a long string of correct answers to begin the exam, then ended on a long string of correct answers.
800 or bust!

by 800_or_bust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:51 am
Any insight on how the unscored experimental questions affect the scoring algorithm? Are the experimental questions that you receive based on your CAT performance? Or can you be given an unscored question of any difficulty level at any time in the exam? I assume for somebody scoring in the upper 40s to around 50, any experimental can be no more difficult than the actual questions.

I tried Exam #3 from 800score using their experimental question feature. That feature resulted in about 10 unscored questions - generally much easier in difficulty than what I had been facing. Since I got most of the easier, unscored questions correct, I missed fewer questions on that Exam than the previous two. However, my score dropped - apparently because I had not faced as many difficult questions as I had in the first two. I went from Q50/V44 (770) to Q48/V42 (730). I've since taken the verbal section on a fourth exam (without experimental questions) and scored a 45. Again, I missed 2 out of the first 5 on that one, then only missed 3 the rest of the way. So I'm a little skeptical of the difficulty levels for their verbal questions. I seem to do better with the very hard questions than I do with the medium to hard ones.
800 or bust!

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 am
800_or_bust wrote:I see debriefings on the web of folks who scored V48, 49 or 50. So clearly it is possible to achieve any one of those scores. Makes me wonder if the GMAT Prep Exams just don't have a large enough database of the very hardest verbal questions in order to differentiate above a 47, and hence the large ding for just a single miss. You would think, in theory, the way I missed would be the best from the CAT's scoring perspective - rattled off a long string of correct answers to begin the exam, then ended on a long string of correct answers.
Indeed.

Meanwhile, that SC question does not sound particularly difficult. Maybe you should do some visualization of getting all of the verbal questions right, see what if any resistance you have to doing that and seek to resolve any conflict you find. Even if you don't actively find and resolve any such conflict, by doing the visualization you will affect your consciousness in a way that will be conducive to getting them all correct.

You may even want to consider and meditate on the idea of getting 1000 of the most challenging verbal questions right in a row. Doing that is obviously possible. Get used to that idea and consider what doing that would take.

Meanwhile, scoring Q51 should pretty much become an every time thing. Figure out what you have to get better at in order to get to that point and take care of it. Accuracy and not getting tricked are obviously part of the success formula.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by 800_or_bust » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 am
The official GMAC prep exam questions are definitely tighter than most of the questions from non-GMAC sources. I went back and took a second look at that latest 800score exam. Here was question #5 (a medium difficulty SC question I had missed):

Bruce Springsteen and Meryl Streep are eligible for retirement benefits now, joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman, both having turned 65 this year.

(A) joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman, both having turned 65 this year.

(B) both having turned 65 this year, and join the ranks of other celebrities such as Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(C) both turned 65 this year, joining the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(D) becoming 65 this year, joining the ranks of other celebrities such as Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

(E) and, because they have turned 65, they will have joined the ranks of other celebrities like Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman.

The credited answer is (B). I selected (A). My problem with (B) is the modifier appears to be misplaced - it looks like its modifying retirement benefits instead of the subject, and also the use of the conjunction "and" seems weird here. I would think a participial phrase would be more appropriate. (A) results in a weird sentence - with the "both having turned 65" modifying Neil Diamond and Dustin Hoffman. Grammatically, however, it seems rock solid except for the use of "like" instead of "such as." I guess I should have just keyed in on that minor detail.
800 or bust!