Modifier/Misc: PR Cat Question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by JK. » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:Could someone explain option B in detail , why it is incorrect ?

it sounds good and has no grammar error.
I too am NOT clear why option B is not the best. Past perfect tense conveys that success of campaign preceded
Listers act of lending the name. Is there any official explanation that calls this tense incorrect?
A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:29 pm
IMO - A

by sungoal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 am
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.
(A) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
(B) Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
(C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
(D) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
(E) Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

Can anybody explain why option B is wrong in this question??

Why the use of "had been" is wring in this sentence? I think he campaigned for sanitary conditions before he lent his name to the company. So why "had been" can not be used in this sentence?

Experts please help.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 am
3gmater wrote:His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

1.His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
2.Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
3.Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
4.His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
5.Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms

Can anyone provide more insight to question?
Thank You.
I received a PM asking me to comment.

Quickest approach:

B and C change the intended meaning of the original sentence: they imply that Sir Lester lent his name because of the success of the campaign. The original sentence does not suggest that one event caused the other. Eliminate B and C.

E changes the meaning by implying that Sir Lester was campaigning when he lent his name. An -ing modifier such as campaigning suggests contemporaneous action (two events happening at the same time). The intended meaning of the original sentence is that the campaign became successful before Sir Thomas lent his name. Eliminate E.

D contains a similar issue: the -ing modifier being changes the meaning by implying that the campaign was being successful when Sir Thomas he lent his name. The intended meaning of the original sentence is that the campaign became successful before Sir Thomas lent his name. D also is needlessly wordy and includes being, a word to be avoided. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.

In A, his campaign...finally successful is an absolute phrase. An absolute phrase:

-- consists of a noun and a modifier and perhaps a few other words
-- is connected to an independent clause without a conjunction
-- modifies the entire clause and provides context.

In the sentence above, his campaign...finally successful tells us in what context Sir Thomas lent his name.

I've been asked to discuss the past perfect tense in answer choice B. The use of the past perfect changes the meaning: it suggests that the campaign had been successful but then it stopped being successful, changing the meaning of the sentence.

One more word of advice: if you're stuck between A and another answer choice, and you can't identify a clear error in A, eliminate the other answer choice and choose A. It's safer to stick with the original sentence.

Hope this helps!
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 am
GMATGuruNY

I have a question of "doing"

Learning English, I am happy

doing here shows that "learning" is simultaneous with "am happy"

the person learning English is my friend

here, "learning" can be "who learned", "who had learned", or "who will learn" . "learning" here have no time . This I learn from a grammar book.

Is my thinking correct?

by ranjithreddy.k9 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:04 pm
what's wrong with B ??..can someone please throw light on this??

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am
This one is not clear, someone please help.

Thanks
Mankey

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by tuanquang269 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:00 am
A is the perfect choice for the intended meanings of writer

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:39 pm
Isn't verb missing in A?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bhanu marwaha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:12 am
why not b since it has past perfect structure.first his campaign became successful and then he lent his name.

Instructors please clarify my doubt

by tuanquang269 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:07 am
bhanu marwaha wrote:why not b since it has past perfect structure.first his campaign became successful and then he lent his name.

Instructors please clarify my doubt
First, you should consider the meanings of the sentence. This is not Cause - Effect relationship. Using
"because" is ridiculous.

Second, use PAST PERFECT is unnecessary because there is no time indicator in this sentence.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by alfat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 pm
its b

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 am
Well gmatguru, I still feel what is wrong witht the option D.

In certain cases, you have to use 'Being' in order to modify the noun correctly. Also the use of the modifier, does not change the meaning of the sentence.

It only indicates the happening of an event before the main event.

I do not think that D is wrong. Could you please give some illustrations in detail...
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:05 am
[email protected] wrote:Well gmatguru, I still feel what is wrong witht the option D.

In certain cases, you have to use 'Being' in order to modify the noun correctly. Also the use of the modifier, does not change the meaning of the sentence.

It only indicates the happening of an event before the main event.
Here's D:

His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms BEING eventually successful, Sir Joseph Lister LENT his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

VERBing implies CONTEMPORANEOUS action: an action happening at the same time as the primary action. Since the two actions here are not contemporaneous -- his campaign was not BEING eventually successful when Sir Lester LENT his name -- eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:29 am
E changes the meaning by implying that Sir Lester was campaigning when he lent his name. An -ing modifier such as campaigning suggests contemporaneous action (two events happening at the same time). The intended meaning of the original sentence is that the campaign became successful before Sir Thomas lent his name. Eliminate E.

PLS, help, the above explanation is not clear

in the structures DOING COMMA+MAIN CLAUSE and MAIN CLAUSE + COMMA DOING, doing dose not show the progessiveness with the main verb though doing takes the tense of the main verb. doing shows the HOW the main verb is done anh WHAT EFFECT the main verb causes. Time relation is not what makes E choice wrong.

is my thinking correct? pls, help