Million Dollar Q: Change of Career Possible ?

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
This question is on my mind for a very long time.I thought of asking here in BTG forum.

I am an IT guy who got 10 years exp in IT.Same programming stuff.
Lived abroad for 7 years.
Now the career back in India seemed to have quite stopped.Not many openings at my level.
It seems IT career will be hard to pursue in future for 10+ exp guys.

I would like to do MBA and would like to change my career path.
Now I am not sure how realistic would that be and if its even possible or not.

I got following qs:
1) Will a Exec MBA help me more or a regular MBA ?
2) Will MBA help me to change my career line ? say marketing,branding (within IT or outside IT) ?
3) Will this be a good decision to change the career path altogether after doing MBA?
4) Will an MBA even help me at all ?

Thx
S

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by RyanJW » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 am
Hi S,

I can only go off of what I've learned so far- and I'm by no means an expert, but it looks like we're in a similar position.

I'm in a field that I've pretty much have been in since I've graduated (about 2 1/2 years now). The money is good and I'm good at it and it's still fairly interesting. But it's very far from what I went to school for and I'm far more passionate about other things.

It seems to be that, in this position, getting your MBA (preferably full-time) is a great way to make a change. You continue your education but it can be tailored (using electives and specific MBA programs) toward exactly the type of job/field you are looking to work in. The internship opportunities that come with full-time MBA programs are extremely valuable as well, not to mention the networking possibilities at most schools.

From what I've learned, EMBA programs are more suited for people who are currently in a high level position, not for people who are looking to make career changes.

Anyway, to answer your question- an MBA should help you but it really comes down to you. Are there other ways to break into another field? Sure. I think the MBA can only help you, though. The education, internship opportunities and network expansion that come with it are invaluable.

Good luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by goldenegg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 am
Just chipping in to say that pretty drastic changes can be made with the MBA. I certainly know very interesting cases from Imperial College Business school who went from consulting to wine industry, from being an olympic champion to working from BP, from working in policy to starting a renewable energy company. My advise would be to narrow down what area you want to get into before you apply. It will help you choose what school is best for you. But I would like some tips on what factors were considered during the process.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sagar@jk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 am
1) An Exec. MBA is designed for working professionals. It provides the flexibility required for a professional life. A regular MBA is a 12 -24 month full-time program. Now, ideally, a person with 6+ years of experience is more suitable for EMBA.

However, for changing your career path, a full-time MBA (preferably like ISB's PGP) will be a better bet. You need that thorough grooming to pursue a new stream altogether.

2) Yes, an MBA can help change your career line in any industry.

3) Any change is in a bracket of uncertainty. It may work out. It may not. Therefore, a decision being good or bad is subjective. If you prefer stability, go for EMBA.

Resuming your line of work post MBA with a richer profile will be a better decision. However, if you are a patient risk taker, opt for full-time MBA. Trying out new line can be fun.

4) Yes, if it's a reputed MBA and you have management acumen, it sure will help you.

Read more: How to decide which MBA is Right for you?
Sagar
JK Masters & Career
MBA Admission Consulting for International Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:00 pm
I think a mba could help you, but you'll have to be very focused and concise in your explanation how. Try not to think about a 180 degree career change, but something that is closely related. For example, you want to work in marketing? Well how about marketing for a technology company so you can still leverage your past experiences. Or consulting for technology consulting firm.