MGMAT SC Book

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

MGMAT SC Book

by Jack-L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 pm
Hi guys

I am taking the test on the 22nd of April. As I was looking through the sentence correction notes and the flashcards, I thought they are enough to learn for the test.

Is the MGMAT SC Book really an addition in the whole set? Or just a nice to have book?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbamaverick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 pm
MGMAT SC book is a really good book but it requires some reading.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ken3233 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:25 pm
I'm working my way through the MGMAT SC right now, and I find it to be a lot of work. The concepts are easy to understand, but committing them to memory will take time.

My guess is that flashcards cannot substitute for the time and labor necessary to master everything in MGMAT SC.

If you are already excellent at sentence correction, then you probably do not need to review MGMAT SC. If you have some SC weaknesses you need to recitfy, it is probably best to take the trouble to master the book.

by Jack-L » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:08 pm
how thick is it? I mean how many pages?

I guess SC is (compared to the others) the one part with the best improving potential, isn't it?

Maybe I'll get it... I think I could do much better on them, so that my Verbal Score increases...!

Because RC is something very very fundamental, that everbody has to practice. Either you're good or you're not. There's not that much to improve there...

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:16 am
Jack-L,

The SC guide is 288 pages long. Its true that there is a lot of content in the book and would become impossible to remember everything within a month but i would say i've successfully utilized the book if i can retain atleast 40% of the concepts in the book. The book is that good and has helped me improve my verbal score drastically..
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

by Jack-L » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 am
wow that sounds terrific. I think I'll buy it though, I guess there is nothing to loose...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yogi123 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 am
Jack-L wrote:wow that sounds terrific. I think I'll buy it though, I guess there is nothing to loose...
I would highly recommend it. I am a native speaker and however have a lot of issues with grammar. At the start of my SC preparation, I had a total breakdown as I was wondering how on earth I was going to remember all this. I read it the second time and things were much better. Your second read would put everything in perspective. Their are many flashcards, it would be best you create your own notes in addition so that YOU remember it from your own perspective. I updated the flashcards with my notes. Good luck with your studies. :)

by ken3233 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 am
I agree with all the remarks made by everyone who has posted to this thread. Memorizing the MGMAT SC material is boring and aggravating to the point of tears, but it's worth it. I think SC is the only material on the verbal GMAT which does not require natural intuitive talent to master. Grammar has to be learned through hard work.

by Jack-L » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:52 pm
Hi Guys

I just got an older MGMAT SC book from the year 2005. Do you think that'll be fine? 144 pages instead of the new 288 pages. Literally the half of the new stuff, do you think the new book is really different than the old one?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: MGMAT SC Book

by pJackson79 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:06 pm
Jack-L wrote:Hi guys

I am taking the test on the 22nd of April. As I was looking through the sentence correction notes and the flashcards, I thought they are enough to learn for the test.

Is the MGMAT SC Book really an addition in the whole set? Or just a nice to have book?
Personally, I did not find the book too helpful. I thought that the most valuable thing for SC was THOROUGHLY reading the OG explanations.

I did the SC questions in the OG and read through the explanations fast. Then, I realized that I kept getting them wrong so I went back and re-read them thoroughly and thought they were excellent.
Last edited by pJackson79 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:48 am
Jack-L

I used MGMAT SC along with the Official Guide and GMATFix flashcards for my sentence correction practice. It worked great for me; especially going through the GMATFix flashcards over and over and then doing the OG questions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mattl19 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 am
By making your own flashcards you realize how in depth the book really is, I find myself literally writing down almost everything in the book? Anyone else make their own and find this to be true?

I recommend reading this book at least once before the test, it will give you a nice overview on basic grammar construction that could help you in the later rounds of the test

GMAT Score:660

by theGoodLife » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 pm
Yes, I'm also writing down flashcards, and it's quite intense.

I read it this past January when i was taking a PR class, some of the topics stuck, but not nearly enough. This is my second stint reading it, and I'm hoping to commit a decent amount of this book to memory before I start the mgmat prep course, cause i'm sure I won't have time to read it in depth once that starts.