MGMAT hard inference Q

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu May 23, 2013 7:35 am
ngalinh wrote: When I started studying the gmat, I naturally loved CR (and DS). The results of Kaplan CATs often showed me that CR was in my top 3 strengths.
CR is definitely a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of thing.

basically, CR is about 80% normal human reasoning -- the same way you've thought through situations since you were a kid -- and about 20% understanding, with some extra precision, the nature of the different tasks you're asked to do.

in other words, not the kind of thing that requires much in the way of studying.
that's actually the whole point of the CR section: it's something that's meant to be pretty much "ready to go". sure, you may need a small amount of orientation to the different tasks, but the point is that you won't have to learn anything.
But I didn't feel satisfied because sometimes I was not sure about the answers I picked. (My studying method was I combined some rules in books and lessons I've drawn for myself through practice.)

"rules" can't work on CR. it's impossible.
(if you could make "rules" that worked on CR, then that would mean you'd invented strong artificial intelligence all by yourself. let's just say that's not going to happen.)

if you try to make "rules" for the CR section, you are either going to get (a) glorified versions of things you've already known since you were nine years old, (b) things that don't work in the first place because there are so many exceptions, or (c) things that are so extraordinarily specific that you'll never have the chance to use them.

i think (b) and (c) here are self-explanatory.
as an example of what i'm talking about with (a), i've seen people on here actually trying to memorize "rules" such as "if you want to weaken a cause-and-effect conclusion, find an alternate cause for the stated effect".
i mean, sure, but that's something that you've already known since you were in third grade. after all, in third grade, if you don't have your homework, you already realize that "the dog ate it" (an alternate cause) is a way to weaken the argument of "you didn't do your homework". there's no reason to try to make a "rule" out of this; all that's going to do is get rid of your ability to use common sense.

So, a couple of months ago, I decided to gain accuracy of CR. I carefully "researched" the wrong answers I got and learned new techniques.
yeah -- with CR, if you think of anything as "learning new techniques", you probably aren't approaching the task in the right way.
you should basically be using completely normal real-world thinking -- of the type you'd use in a conversation, or when watching a news program or reading a magazine -- with some extra precision appropriate to the task. there's nothing to "learn"; you already know everything you really can know about how to weaken, strengthen, and explain things.

there may be a small amount of learning associated with question types that are less closely related to everyday thinking (e.g., finding assumptions is a bit weird, since most people don't go around enumerating assumptions specifically). but the key there is "small" -- it's still mostly real-world thinking.
for the most common problem types (strengthen, weaken, explain), you should be able to walk in off the street and apply the same sort of thinking that you'd use, well, on the street.

the key is not "learning", but, rather, unlearning the "academic" way of thinking ("rules", formal logic, etc.). that way of thinking is poison here.
How could I "go back" to my previous CR, but with a higher level of certainty?
well, step 1 is to forget ALL of the specific "rules" that you've tried to learn. those are just pollution; they won't do anything but get in the way of your ability to THINK about the problems.
(when you see specifics in a CR book, you don't have to completely ignore them, of course. but, you should never think of them as "rules" to be memorized; instead, you should just view them as illustrations of thought processes that are already there in your head, but that you aren't used to using in a "classroom" environment.)

if you've been studying nonstop, or almost nonstop, for a long time, then this is going to require time off. like, completely walk away from the test (and everything associated with it) for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months.
(remember, "forgetting" is a non-issue, especially in CR -- there's nothing new to learn, so there's nothing that you even could forget.)
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm
thanks Ron for your careful instruction!
reading your deep thought inspires me to think more and love the gmat more.
lunarpower wrote:
CR is definitely a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" kind of thing.
that's right. My mistake was, instead of making the "picture" more perfect, I tried to correct what I had painted, so made it worst. That's why a student often needs a teacher, who at least can watch and correct him/her. My actual reason was I did doubt about myself a bit as I saw the result of my actual gmat was not as good as I expected.
the whole point of the CR section: it's something that's meant to be pretty much "ready to go". sure, you may need a small amount of orientation to the different tasks, but the point is that you won't have to learn anything.
so I should strengthen my CR by paying more attention to tricks (and of course, reading more articles to improve my English). I mean anyone knows how to run, but to win a race, one should learn how to avoid small, but deep holes.
"rules" can't work on CR. it's impossible.
(if you could make "rules" that worked on CR, then that would mean you'd invented strong artificial intelligence all by yourself. let's just say that's not going to happen.)
I might have to say sorry to you dozen apologies because you consistently talked to us (gmat students)dozen times about this thing through forums. But this number can be halved because of the reason below. What I mean "rules" are somethings I can use to help me get the answer more quickly such as structures, types of question... Learning those things brings me a positive side is that I can narrow down the picture and spot answer in shorter time and also a negative side is that I may catch a wrong point if I don't totally understand an argument.

in everyday-life conversions, a lady doesn't have to learn any rule but still can be a proud winner in a debate with her neighbors because she has lots of motivation (generated by ego). And she hardly find a smart neighbor who can throw 14-15 arguments in few minutes (except her neighbor is Ron Purewal)
if you try to make "rules" for the CR section, you are either going to get (a) glorified versions of things you've already known since you were nine years old, (b) things that don't work in the first place because there are so many exceptions, or (c) things that are so extraordinarily specific that you'll never have the chance to use them.
I understand that you mean specific rules. General rules will often work, for example a right thought process to figure out right answers.
as an example of what i'm talking about with (a), i've seen people on here actually trying to memorize "rules" such as "if you want to weaken a cause-and-effect conclusion, find an alternate cause for the stated effect".
that's right. I did try this and recognized that I sometimes narrowed my thinking down to wrong directions. And the "golden mark" lies in another direction.
And in a complex argument, the evidence may include A,B,C and the conclusion contains 1,2,3. I may pick an answer choice that combines (A&2) representing a cause-effect, but the right answer is (B&3)-a representative case.
step 1 is to forget ALL of the specific "rules" that you've tried to learn. those are just pollution;

it's quite right that I am bearing a lot of pollution in my head since I've learnt how to learn. But you know, when we (human beings)learn and practice something for a period of time, "it" runs into our subconsciousness already. Under time constrain and pressure on the test day, subconsciousness seems to work strongly.
if you've been studying nonstop, or almost nonstop, for a long time, then this is going to require time off. like, completely walk away from the test (and everything associated with it) for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months
thank you for your motherly (oh sorry, fatherly, may be) advice! I believe many of international students are always restless, not only because of the gmat. That may be good for a short time, but not great for a longer time or vice versa. I don't actual know... let's see how it works.
[/quote]