MGMAT CAT3 CR Doubts II

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

MGMAT CAT3 CR Doubts II

by samyak » Sun May 16, 2010 9:25 am
Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an efficient method to reduce medical expenses. However, widespread adoption of these accounts will soon undermine the public's health. One reason for this is that most people will be reluctant to deplete their accounts to pay for regular preventive examinations, so that in many cases a serious illness will go undetected until it is far advanced. Another reason is that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases.

The statements above, if true, most support which of the following?

a. Wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts.
b. Private health insurance will no longer be available.
c. Most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.
d. Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases.
e. The causal relationship between an individual's health and that person's medical care has been adequately documented.

Please help me answer the question.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by sk818020 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:57 pm
IMO the answer is C.

(A) is wrong because, although the passage states the it will have negative effect on poor people, it does not say anything about what the effects are going to be on rich people.

(B) Nothing in the passage would let us infer that private health insurance will disappear.

(D) The passage doesn't say anything about how likely anyone is to contract diseases. If this said more likely, then I could see picking this answer.

(E) Again, the passage doesn't really say anything about how well documented anything is.

What is the OA?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by samyak » Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 am
I opted for C. The OA is D. I'm unable to understand the reason.I'm copying the official explanation given in the mgmat site.

The passage states that health savings accounts will undermine the health of the public because people will not use them for preventive care. Furthermore, people who cannot afford them will not be able to receive even basic care such as vaccinations. The correct answer will be a conclusion that can be supported solely by the facts stated in the argument, without relying on outside information or additional assumptions.

(A) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that wealthy individuals will not be affected negatively by health savings accounts. The argument never specifically mentions wealthy individuals, just people in general.

(B) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that private health insurance will no longer be available. In fact, private health insurance is never mentioned.

(C) The author argues that people will not get regular preventive examinations, and will therefore not receive medical attention until diseases are advanced. This logic, even if true, does not allow us to conclude that most diseases are detected during regular preventive examinations.

(D) CORRECT. The argument states that "poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations". Based on this statement, it is reasonable to conclude that some people without health savings are likely to contract infectious diseases.

(E) The argument does not provide enough information to conclude that the causal relationship between an individual's health and that person's medical care has been adequately documented. In fact, neither the link between medical care and health nor documentation of such a link is directly discussed.

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by viidyasagar » Mon May 17, 2010 5:44 pm
Another reason is that poor people, who will not be able to afford health savings accounts, will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases
This says that those poor people who can't afford health savings accounts, will not receive vaccinations against infectious diseases..

Now read D - Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases....

It's clear that "poor people without health savings accounts" is a subset of "some people without health savings accounts"

C contradicts the passage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sk818020 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:52 pm
This says that those poor people who can't afford health savings accounts, may not receive vaccinations against infectious diseases..

Now read D - Some people without health savings accounts are likely to contract infectious diseases....

It's clear that "poor people without health savings accounts" is a subset of "some people without health savings accounts"

C contradicts the passage
My issue with D is not that it says "some people without". My issue with D is that it says people are likely to contract infectious disease without these vaccinations. The passage only says that they will no longer receive vaccinations against infectious diseases. Not getting a vaccination is not the same thing as making someone likely to get an infectious disease. If D said that the poor would become more likely, I wouldn't have an issue it because that is obvious. But what in the passage says that the absence of vaccinations will make people likely to contract infectious disease.

I can go years without a tetanus vaccination, but it doesn't make me likely to get tetanus, although it would make it more likely.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Jared