MBA Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Profile Evaluation

by OntheUprise » Sat May 28, 2011 8:43 pm
Hey all,

I was wondering, because I'm worrying at length that undergrad might have killed me despite what I've been doing lately, if you can give me a profile evaluation.

I'm a bit of different case than most are used to, as I'm a serious "late bloomer". I'm not coming from the upper echelon of engineers or investment bankers, but would love to hear how people view me.

I am testing around the 640 Range on the GMAT, and with a prep course on the way, I hope to up that- but for a benchmark, let's say my GMAT is 640.

Since UG:
-8 Month Energy Policy Internship in Washington DC at famous non-profit- here I attended many conferences and co-wrote an industry read case study... from there I got hired to.....During this time, I also handled an intern team as a consultant to accomplish various tasks for a hydro developer out of Vancouver remotely from DC.

-1 Year of Wind Energy Development as an analyst- (negotiated two deals- deals not completed- for purchasing of development LLC's). Also recieved training in Financial Modeling, Accounting, and transaction analysis in addition to energy market analysis and geographic information system analysis. - Charlottesville, VA for a major startup Wind developer

-6 months-Moved over at balance of 1 year due to capital raise at wind company to sister biofuels company, managing a sales territory over 1 city of procuring waste vegetable oil to turn into biodiesel- Technical Sales- in Greensboro, NC.

Planning on next stop being joining my fathers I-Bank to "help quantitative ability" on application or joining either a start up solar or wind developer (still in talks).

I haven't taken a stats class since high school (but I could probably teach one, I'm versed in regression as I've taught myself), I took the basic math class at my school which was just an applied math course and recieved a B+ (as i said, I'm a late bloomer!). Needless to say, my quantitative background is a lot more versed and analytical than my application indicates. I'm going to take a stats course online, but it's difficult if there is set dates due to 80+ hr work weeks that are heavily variable based upon travel.

The plan is energy private equity for 2-3 years or energy development then to join my fathers I-Bank, which is specialized in energy.

Undergrad College: Carthage College, Kenosha, Wisconsin- GPA= 3.192 (last 3 years higher, first year was 3.4 first semester... 1.0 second semester due to an inability to emotionally handle a cheating girlfriend/heartbreak internally within myself).

Major: Communications with minors in Public Relations & Religion
Activities: College Newspaper journalist, local non profit board of directors (finance committee) and member of student in Free Enterprise

I'm looking at Babson, Wake Forest, UT Austin, William & Mary, Rice, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Case Western, Wash U in St. Louis, George Washington, UVA, American U, Yale SOM, etc. However, there is a family pressure to get into U Of C; where I have an alumni base. I also have some connection at Cornell.

Did I screw myself with a wasted undergrad? Do I have a chance? Any other ways to strengthen my app would be great! I'm literally coming home at night and all I'm doing is studying finance, accounting, stats, and GMAT stuff. I'm obsessed!!!!!

Thanks all,
Patrick

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am
Hi Patrick -

Thanks for your question. I'm a bit confused though - several times you mention your undergraduate experience possibly hurting you, but I'm struggling a bit to see what it is you're referring to. Your 3.2 (rounded) GPA that is out of the danger range despite a 1.0 (ouch!) semester? If that's your concern, I can reassure you - it really shouldn't be. We see applicants with that GPA and lower all the time, and they are successful in their application journey! Please do write the optional essay explaining that one bad semester (not making excuses for it, simply explaining it and highlighting how much better your GPA was the rest of the time), and then don't worry about it again. Continuing with the theme of academics, your GMAT is fine for many of the schools you're considering, but if you could pull it up 40-50 points, I think it would open up many other options for you.

One strength is your work experience; you have been involved in the energy field for some time and have plans to continue in it. Schools will like to see that depth, along with the continuity from your past to your future. Having a secure position through your father's investment bank is also appealing to the schools, as they like to feel confident that their students will have jobs upon graduation. You do want to be sure to write your career essay in a logical way that shows growth and progress from what you have done to the role you will play either at the bank or energy PE firm. Switching into PE is definitely a challenging career option though, so you either want to prove how your knowledge will help you contribute there, or consider the energy development option you mentioned. You should probably also explain the number of different jobs you've held; that might be a bit of a red flag.

The big unknown for me right now is community service or engagement with the world outside of work, since college. I know you work long hours, but the schools still expect to see that you have activities outside of work. If you don't have formal community service, consider hobbies you're passionate about, goals you've achieved, or people you have impacted.

Overall, at a 640 GMAT, I think your list looks fine if a little safe. Yale is a stretch unless you pull that GMAT way up, but the other schools seem reasonable. Before I got to your list I was going to suggest UT-Austin, so I was glad to see that. If you can pull the GMAT up and demonstrate activities or impact outside of work, then Cornell becomes in reach as well.

Good luck.

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php