MBA profile evaluation needed

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA profile evaluation needed

by bond10 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:29 am
Hi all,

I'm in need of figuring out where I stand. I am accepted into the full time MBA program at Baruch this year but am contemplating whether to drop the idea and go for a better school next year. I haven't applied anywhere else this year because I took the GMAT way past the deadlines for most schools (March).

Undergrad = Baruch College, BBA in Finance with a 3.5 GPA (graduated in summer 2009)
GMAT = 600 (47Q, 27V)
Work experience = 3 years of operations department for a marketing firm (nothing to do with finance).
Career goal = corporate finance, asset management, or equity research. However, I'm open to various opportunities.
Age = 27 years old

I'm not sure if I'll be able to improve my GMAT as I've taken it 4 times within a year (580, 590, 580, now 600). I'm a native English speaker and the verbal is just hieroglyphics during the exam. I've also taken online courses. Should I drop Baruch this year and aim for NYU/Columbia instead?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by MBAApply » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:04 am
bond10 wrote:Hi all,

I'm in need of figuring out where I stand. I am accepted into the full time MBA program at Baruch this year but am contemplating whether to drop the idea and go for a better school next year. I haven't applied anywhere else this year because I took the GMAT way past the deadlines for most schools (March).

Undergrad = Baruch College, BBA in Finance with a 3.5 GPA (graduated in summer 2009)
GMAT = 600 (47Q, 27V)
Work experience = 3 years of operations department for a marketing firm (nothing to do with finance).
Career goal = corporate finance, asset management, or equity research. However, I'm open to various opportunities.
Age = 27 years old

I'm not sure if I'll be able to improve my GMAT as I've taken it 4 times within a year (580, 590, 580, now 600). I'm a native English speaker and the verbal is just hieroglyphics during the exam. I've also taken online courses. Should I drop Baruch this year and aim for NYU/Columbia instead?
To be honest, without your current GMAT, you're a long shot at Columbia/NYU. Adcoms will say that they accept folks with a wide range of scores, but the reality is, you really need a 700 or greater at these top 16 or it's a no go. Those who are outside the ranges are exceptions for a reason: they are special circumstances and therefore aren't evaluated in the same way as other applicants. In your case, you are a pretty traditional applicant (corporate professional) so in order to be competitive, you need a GMAT that is in range for the schools you're applying to.

I don't know how you've been prepping for the exam, but if you're in New York, consider hiring a private tutor (I'm sure there's tons in NYC) to focus in on your verbal, or enroll in whichever GMAT prep course that you feel will help boost that verbal.

Good luck

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm
bond10 wrote:Hi all,

GMAT = 600 (47Q, 27V)
Age = 27 years old

Well, if you took the GMAT four times, and feel like you are unable to break that ceiling, then Baruch is not a bad option, because as Alex wrote, if you want to go to the other schools you mentioned, you'd have to have 100 points higher or so.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 am
Go to Baruch. It is a fine school and why put your development on hold given you hou have made your best run at the GMAT. Do well there and network to secure a great post MBA job. And that's what most gets your career going----performance.

The other thing I have noticed it that at times the alumni networks outside of the top 20 schools can be quite strong. Grads really like to help fellow grads get ahead, and give them hiring preference. So use that Baruch alumni base!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178