MBA.com Practice Tests...glitch?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA.com Practice Tests...glitch?

by cjm47 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:20 pm
Two potential issues/concerns with their free software...

I just finished one of the free practice tests from mba.com and I got through it fine, it gave me a score of 690 with my Q and V breakouts which I didn't write down. Then on the next screen it told me I got 18 incorrect in Q and 6 incorrect in V...

Then it wouldn't let me go back to get my percentages for Q and V??? There was no "back" button. So I only get one shot to view my score? I am angry that I didn't record the breakouts if that's the case.

Second issue: when I closed the practice test and reopened it (to try to get back to the score page) it changed my numbers said that I had 23 incorrect in Q and 33 wrong in verbal!!!! I KNOW for sure that I would not get 33 wrong in verbal.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to get back to the scores report?

How can I trust the scores I get on this with all of this weirdness going on? :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Spence » Sat May 31, 2008 5:45 pm
You aren't by any chance using Windows Vista, are you?

by cjm47 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:51 pm
Yes, actually, I am. Does this cause issues?

Is my score incorrect?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:00 pm
happened to me also.

I think memory overload.

KL

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Spence » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:06 pm
Since Vista screws up just about everything else, that is probably what's causing GMATPrep to malfuction. See if MBA.com has a tech support area or a phone number you can call. I'm sure they've had similar complaints! Maybe there's a patch or something you can install.

Good luck!

by cjm47 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:39 pm
It probably is a Vista issue...what a PITA...

I wonder if this means my score is inaccurate? I wish mba.com released more than 2 exams or at least made them available for purchase. I don't want to waste my last gmatprep test.

Thanks for your advice!

Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 pm
did on XP

so not visa issue.

by cjm47 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm
khurram,

What happened with yours? Did your # incorrect shoot up when you reopened? Do you think your score was accurate? I'm trying to figure out whether I can trust the score...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 am
cjm47 wrote:It probably is a Vista issue...what a PITA...

I wonder if this means my score is inaccurate? I wish mba.com released more than 2 exams or at least made them available for purchase. I don't want to waste my last gmatprep test.

Thanks for your advice!
Don't feel as if you're wasting a test by doing it- I'd strongly recommend doing each GMATPrep test more than once. The database of questions for each test is quite large- you'll see new questions the second time even if you don't improve. But, because the test is computer adaptive, if you improve, you'll see harder (and therefore new) questions the second time through.

by sami » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:08 pm
I just took the mba.com practice test after taking 5 practice tests from Princeton Review, and I have to say the mba.com test kind of sucked. I had duplicated questions from my practice questions. The questions didn't seem to get any harder even though I was getting the questions right.

That screen with the score that the first guy saw. That's not the actual score. I think it was just an example of what the page would look like after you finished the REAL test. Mine said my score was 700 which couldn't be further from the truth, although I would love to believe it!

I'm not quite sure how to figure out the score. I think I saw somewhere that if you added the two raw scores together, you would get your percentile. So perhaps if you take your percent correct from each section and divided by two, you can get your raw score. For example, on my math, I kind bombed and got 14 wrong- which means it was 62%- divide that by two, and my raw math score would be 32.
Likewise for verbal, i got 8 out of 41 wrong, putting me at 85% giving me a rounded up score of 43.

If you look as some books, like Princeton's there's a chart that estimates those scores as somewhere a little above a 580. uggh.

Best of luck to you all!

GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:50 pm
a 43 in verbal is probably in the mid 90s, not an 83.% (on the actual GMAT)
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7