MBA Abroad or in India?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Abroad or in India?

by arpitshah20 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:25 am
I am planning to do an MBA. I am planning to take a break from work. I have worked with a corporate firm for around 5 years. I wanted to get more details on studying MBA abroad. Is it better to study abroad or India? What would be a good option? Kindly provide me with your inputs as to what are the factors I should consider while choosing a B school?

by ruchika1 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:57 am
Hey, there are many factors before you consider going abroad to do your MBA. Let me tell you that doing an MBA abroad is very subjective; it all depends upon your plans post MBA. Also, you will have to consider various other factors such as ROI, learning environment, scholarships etc., If you are planning to initiate a start up in India then a local MBA would be ideal because you put into use your networking skills after you have built all your contacts. But, if you are looking at a more global angle then an MBA abroad would help. One cannot side line factors like international exposure and wider horizons that an international MBA has to offer.

by premalsavla » Fri May 15, 2015 3:07 am
I completely agree with the person above. But I feel if you have all the factors going you way, go abroad for further studies, Institutions in India are good, no doubt about that, but the level of exposure one receives abroad is tremendous. In today's competitive world, a lot of impetus is given to the LPG model. Thus, with globalization in the picture, one should be acquainted with all the global issues concerning the world. Most colleges follow a global curriculum, which enables one to grasp the modules and deal with crisis situations more efficiently.

by arpitshah20 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:08 am
Alright. What about the placement opportunities? Do B schools abroad have better placement opportunities?

by premalsavla » Fri May 15, 2015 3:09 am
This is an illusion which one must shun right away. It is true that reputed B schools have good placement offers. Some of them even claim to have even a 100% placement record. People are blinded by this and don't realize that you have to work for it to earn it. One cannot expect to be placed without working hard for it. So I would end by sayings that don't expect it to come to you magically, put in your effort and you will definitely prosper!

by arpitshah20 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:10 am
Oh.. Thanks! Also, I hope you don't mind me asking, given the situation in I would plan to go abroad, which countries should I give more preference to?

by premalsavla » Fri May 15, 2015 3:11 am
U.K. and the U.S.A have always been popular destinations, but there has been a recent spike in the trends when it comes to studying in places like Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Canada. This is because they are cost effective, also they pay their students well (those pursuing a part time job simultaneously)

by arpitshah20 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:11 am
Okay, what are the good B schools out there? If you know some, could you please suggest me with a few?

by premalsavla » Fri May 15, 2015 3:12 am
Sure, here you go : Melbourne University, University of Sydney, Macquarie University, The University of Auckland, University of Otago, University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, University of Hong Kong, City University of Hong Kong and Sp Jain Global.

by arpitshah20 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:13 am
Thanks a bunch!:)